GungHo/GameArts survey about porting games to PC

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: GungHo/GameArts survey about porting games to PC

Post by Arlia »

Um... what the hell? Lunar has about 10 times the amount of fans that Grandia has, and I'd know, because ALL of my Lunar items sell on Ebay, and RARELY my Grandia items do.
Someone would **** a brick if they saw a Nall stuffed doll for sale for under $500, and I have two Puffy dolls, and no one cares. I barely managed to sell a 3 mug set. My Lunar mugs, that aren't for sale, would fetch twice the amount I asked for the Grandia set in a heartbeat.

I can't say where this came from, but it seems like a simple port, not a remake.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

*finds out about the news*
*rages*
*cries*
*calms down*
*comes to Lunarthreads*

Oh! I see I'm not the only one who's disappointed.
I never saw any Grandia fans talking about this except in the comments where this survey was posted.
Oh well... who knows, it's not like Grandia II will get developed and GungHo will leave it at that.
Maybe they will work on Lunar at some point after this.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

I know forums don't represent gamers as a whole but I've seen a lot of threads about "Favorite RPGs" and not see anyone else mention Lunar and see several people including Grandia in their lists. Grandia definitely seems more known.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Cool! Grandia II is a start.

I wonder whether they'll use the PC release from 13 years ago or whether they'll port it anew?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Sonic# wrote:Cool! Grandia II is a start.

I wonder whether they'll use the PC release from 13 years ago or whether they'll port it anew?
They're basing it on the Dreamcast version.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

While they're basing it on the Dreamcast version, they also said that it's remastered.

"In addition to an HD visual upgrade, Grandia II on Steam will have both mouse and keyboard and gamepad support as well as Steam achievements and Trading Cards."

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Can achievements be disabled? I don't care for the immersion breaking moments when "achievement unlocked!" pops up.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

Im sad i missed out on this, i love surveys : ( not that my one additional one vote for EBC would have helped, but it would have still been nice to vote for it. I hope Grandia II gets lots of success from this and Gungho will do more PC ports of games and give Lunar another chance.

Nonononoki
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Nonononoki »

What a bummer :( I really hoped for one of the Lunar titles to make it. I don't actually care for Grandia, so I won't buy it even if it slightly raises the chance for a new Lunar game.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

You know what's funny? Everyone wanted Lunar 2 because its the one with the least remakes.
But nope, it's Grandia 2 we get.
But it's all right for now. I own 2 versions of this game that I have yet to play (Dreamcast, PS2).
I want to see why people like the Dreamcast version more. And I want to see what those graphical upgrades are going to be.
Grandia 1 needs a graphic update very badly too. I would buy them. Even if Lunar doesnt come out after. And this is coming from someone who also doesn't care much about Grandia and is VERY MAD about this whole situation.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

^ Perhaps a lot of people elsewhere saw Grandia II as the most recognizable name and voted for it?

I like the Dreamcast version better. The Playstation 2 port had a lower visual quality to it. Three major things: (1) the battle animations were rougher in the PS2 version. Hit effects had rougher edges, and sometimes the gold and silver pieces dropped by monsters would turn black. (2) They changed the intro animation into a CG cutscene rather than keeping the intro in the game engine. Someone could say that it looks better, but I found the colors in the CG granier and more muted. (3) Even outside of battle, I think the graphics are less crisp. Trees, leaves, characters, and buildings all look a bit fuzzier around the edges. The Dreamcast version sometimes has sharp edges to a fault, but I like it even less when they're neither sufficiently sharp or designed with fuzziness in mind.

Here's a comparison of the intros: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxdwOcU3cXY
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

It probably IS more recognizable, duh, it makes sense to me now.
We had 3 Grandias on PS2.
Even if the supposed Lunar 3 had released on the PS2, it would have taken Lunar 4 and Lunar 5 to be able to be as recognizable as Grandia. The PS2 had a much bigger install base than the PS1 did it not?

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

jay_are wrote:It probably IS more recognizable, duh, it makes sense to me now.
We had 3 Grandias on PS2.
Even if the supposed Lunar 3 had released on the PS2, it would have taken Lunar 4 and Lunar 5 to be able to be as recognizable as Grandia. The PS2 had a much bigger install base than the PS1 did it not?
The PS2 is the best selling video game system of all time. That probably has a lot to do with them messing up, though. I wonder what the numbers would be if everyone's first PS2 stayed functional. :lol:

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Heh. At one point we had four PS2s stacked up on the table.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

That's similar to my numbers. If only other companies would build their systems with Nintendo's level of endurance.

Enclave
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Enclave »

jay_are wrote:You know what's funny? Everyone wanted Lunar 2 because its the one with the least remakes.
But nope, it's Grandia 2 we get.
But it's all right for now. I own 2 versions of this game that I have yet to play (Dreamcast, PS2).
I want to see why people like the Dreamcast version more. And I want to see what those graphical upgrades are going to be.
Grandia 1 needs a graphic update very badly too. I would buy them. Even if Lunar doesnt come out after. And this is coming from someone who also doesn't care much about Grandia and is VERY MAD about this whole situation.
I think its more because Grandia II is more well-known than Lunar EB.

Even if a Lunar game is going to be ported, I'm positive they'd port SSSC again before doing EB to test the waters and see if the franchise can sell on PC.