Worldmap?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
localflick
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

I'm just sayin...

Post by localflick »

Or it's a lot simpler than everyone thinks. Maybe, just maybe, the game developers designed each iteration of the world when they did, and added consistency whenever possible.

It would be really boring to go through an RPG and already know each area you're going to visit, so of course there were drastic changes between the maps. The "thousand years" they throw in is as meaningless as the "hundred years" between Castlevania castles. They're the same place, but time passed so they're re-designed and it's not the same one from last time.

They're just maps designed by game makers. Don't lose sleep over these things, there are way more important things in life.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Except in FFX-2, which is the most notable example of a game where the basic map is completely unchanged from the original. With a couple exceptions. But still.

But that's irrelevant.

As I recall, the Grindery is SE of the Goddess tower, Vane's in the middle, and the Goddess tower is to the north west.

Like.

GT
xxx
xxxx
xxxxx
xxxxxxV
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxG

Or something like that.

I may have messed up, but I'm fairly certain the Grindery was at least East.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: I'm just sayin...

Post by Alunissage »

localflick wrote:They're just maps designed by game makers. Don't lose sleep over these things, there are way more important things in life.

...I think you're missing the point of discussions like these. I don't disagree with the analysis, but part of the fun is in reconciling these things, or trying to. And the relationship of the different eras' maps to one another is of importance to people doing fanfics...or fangames. I don't bother going too deeply into how/why scenery moved around, but it's certainly a reasonable tihng to discuss on this board.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Don't get me wrong, it's not unreasonable to post about this topic. I just don't want people stressing over fictional maps as if there has to be some concrete truth behind why they look the way they do.

the relationship of the different eras' maps to one another is of importance to people doing fanfics...or fangames.

There's a great idea. Why don't people write fanfiction explaining what they thought happened, why certain towns became other towns, etc...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Angelalex242 wrote:As I recall, the Grindery is SE of the Goddess tower, Vane's in the middle, and the Goddess tower is to the north west.

I may have messed up, but I'm fairly certain the Grindery was at least East.

Yeah, you pretty much did mess up. The EB world is based off of the events in the original. The Grindery was nearby Meribia when Alex and company boarded it; even though it was stopped, it's not unreasonable that it could've rolled a little ways to one direction afterwards. Vane, meanwhile, was still an island, even if it was grounded, so it's not unreasonable that it would've floated off in one direction if there were a great flood.

There's a lot of fluidity there, and the only thing that really matters is if one location is close to another--the Grindery close to Meribia, for instance. Still consider rotating your view, though. North in the TSS overworld might not be the same direction as North in the EB overworld. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

...I think the real problem is, I'm trying to state how it was in SSSC.

I'm not really looking at either SegaCD version.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Kiz, he was answering my implied question of where things ended up in SSSC, not saying that EBC's map has to make sense with SSSC's.

Looking at EB's and EBC's maps, it's pretty clear that the latter is based on the former, not SSSC's. Vane is a lot closer to Taben's Peak in the remake, probably in part because of the spring and water ruins being added and in part because the map itself is so much smaller. Vane was about midway between Azado and Taben's Peak in EB (perhaps slightly closer to Azado), and the three were almost collinear, while Taben's Peak was due east (by the map's orientation) of Meribia. Just in case you were curious.

Edit: I did scan the hand-drawn maps that came with the Japanese MegaCD EB and the Saturn EB and they're posted on the site, but unfortunately I had to do them in two (clumsy) pieces because they're quite large, and they don't line up at all in the layout of the page. You can kind of get an idea of the relative positioning from the EB one, though; #9 is Vane.