Worldmap?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Worldmap?

Post by DevNall »

Anybody know if there's any really detailed worldmap from any of the Lunar games anywhere? (I know there's scans of the cloth maps here, but they're hard to make out.)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Other than the scans, I don't know of any. I do have fairly high res world map art for Lunar DS though.
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

The trick, of course, is trying to figure out why the differences in maps between L1 and L2 occurred.

Those are massive continental shifts.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

The continents don't really shift, though there's some massive flooding that must've occurred. They're about the same position in relation to one another, however. Really, the maps between Genesis/DS, TSS/SSS, and EB aren't as different as they seem at first glance; you just need to change your perspective when looking at it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

In general, yes, there's a lot of similiarities. And I think you can explain some of the differences between L1/L2 as a result of the goddess tower ripping the ground and then falling into the water; and some things in L2 may have been in areas that weren't visible on the L1 map.But some other items (for example, some of the dragon caves) seem to be in radically different spots.

I'd look at the Genesis map again, but I can't seem to access lunar-net now.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

The SSS novels implied that Dragons can easily change their locations over time. So while the Blue Dragon Cave may be found in one place by one dragonmaster, it may move before the next dragonmaster finds it. The only one who's stayed his ground is the White Dragon. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The best you're going to do mapwise is probably in the strategy guides. The EB (not EBC) guide has fairly comprehensive screenshot maps at the beginning of each section labelling the relevant parts, and the TSS one has similar in B&W. The SSSC and EBC guides I think also have this but since the books are smaller the maps are more cramped.

Re the geography, I generally concluded that EB's map was rotated a bit clockwise from TSS's, looking at how Meribia is kind of at an angle to the viewer in EB but straight-on in TSS and how the locations of Pentagulia and the Goddess Tower compare. That covers most of the major locations except the Blue and Black Dragon Caves (kind of weird that all the dragons ended up so close together), and of course the land which makes Caldor no longer an island. Might even be able to make a case for Damon's Spire becoming Serak Palace. The Frontier would more or less be the Salyan Desert. If I'm visualizing correctly. If screenshot maps ever do surface electronically it'd be fun to overlay them and mess around with scale and angle to see what you get.

Oh, and by the same logic, I *think* Dragon Song's map would be rotated in the other direction, since the Frontier is at the bottom instead of the right. The red and white dragon caves are in about the right places, though.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Regarding Caldor Isle. I think the whole Flood theory might be in effect with it. In Dragon Song, it's the largest continent. In Lunar 1, most of it, IMO, was likely submerged (and also the reason for whichever dragon's cave is at the tail end having to find a new home in Lunar 1). By Lunar 2, most of it had re-emerged, only with a lot of it under ice. This doesn't explain the main continent being so much larger than anything in Dragon Song, while Caldor got smaller by Lunar 1 though.
-G1

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Someone pointed me to some nice maps of the western half of the world last night, and I noticed that too. Might also be a shear... Anyway, I think it's fairly evident where Horam ends up; and you can sort of see what happened to the areas where Lann and Nanza were.

ImageImage
Regarding flooding, is this something you got from a mention elsewhere, or just sort of a guess? About the frontier and Salyan Desert, I don't have anything for the eastern half... does this sort of imply that more of the world was habitable following L1?

I do not have the strategy guides or any maps on paper, if anyone who does wants to make very high-res scans, I would certainly appreciate. :)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

It makes sense.

There may have only been a lifeless area called the Frontier because Althena had to retain some of her power to continue existing.

When she died for good, however, there was nothing left to hold back, and the last of her power that was previously contained in her revived the previously lifeless frontier, making it like the rest of Lunar. A final gift for humanity before she goes, or something.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

These are just the remakes though. EB's map was compacted and changed a bit (especially the area around Pentagulia and the sea; the sea was MUCH larger in the original). It does show quite a bit of similiarity though.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

DevNall wrote:Someone pointed me to some nice maps of the western half of the world last night, and I noticed that too. Might also be a shear... Anyway, I think it's fairly evident where Horam ends up; and you can sort of see what happened to the areas where Lann and Nanza were.

ImageImage
Regarding flooding, is this something you got from a mention elsewhere, or just sort of a guess? About the frontier and Salyan Desert, I don't have anything for the eastern half... does this sort of imply that more of the world was habitable following L1?

I do not have the strategy guides or any maps on paper, if anyone who does wants to make very high-res scans, I would certainly appreciate. :)

Yeah, those are the remakes, so the versions I was looking at were the originals (TSS and EB), and Dragon Song / Genesis. Flooding was the most logical conclusion, considering the sea that was now between Meribia and the Goddess Tower -- those two landmarks you can use to base much of the rest of the world around.

The Salyan Desert may not be the Frontier. It's quite likely that part of the Minea Sea and the Southern part of the Salyan Desert comprise the Frontier (where Hiro's House is, but not Larpa). Those two areas may be next to one another if you were to rotate the globe of Lunar a bit. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Kiz: Do you have maps from the originals, or were you just working from memory?

Atleast for the remakes, it's possible the goddess tower could have landed in a slightly different spot than where it started; IIRC, in SSSC and Legend, you can't go to the worldmap once the goddess tower tears out of the ground (see below), so it's hard to tell what effect that had. Anyway, considering how close it is to the ocean, presumably the sea would have flooded in, which certainly could have lowered the overall sea level a bit.

If G1 can scan and upload high-res world maps (including Genesis), it'd be interesting to look at those differences too -- they seem more significant. (G1, do you know what town is what on the Genesis map? I am intrigued that Burg and Saith aren't there, unless they've been translated differently.)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Regarding the DS towns... until I play it, not really. I know what one or two of the towns are, but Kizyr would be better fit to answer this question currently.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Yeah, but, what's your question? There aren't any of the same towns in DS. But some have similar locations, and I can see how one town might become another over time (e.g., Liefon -> Meribia). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I wonder, though.

The FMV implies that Vane should've fallen squarely between the Grindery and the Goddess tower.

Yet, the grindery is west of Vane, and Pentagulia is even further west.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

...rotate your view. It's still in roughly the right place. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Right, but either Vane or the Grindery is in the wrong place.

One would've expected the Grindery to be East of Vane.

That Other Person
Lostest Boy
Location: That one place over there. Next to that other place. You know where I mean.

Post by That Other Person »

It's a thousand years later. Stuff happens. What if a large earthquake moved everything a bit, or maybe someone tried fixing up the Grindery and moved it as well. Stuff happens. ;)
When you hit the bottom, the only way to go is up... unless you carry a shovel.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yet another example of the remake messing up the logic, blah blah blah... in TSS the Grindery shot Vane down and kept going until it paused by Meribia to take on more water (since it ran on steam). Alex and co immobilized it by putting out the fires. Its location more or less worked with EB's map, after rotating, and EBC didn't change the relative locations of things by much from that game. I don't remember where on the world map the Grindery and Vane ended up in SSSC.