Beastmen

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Beastmen

Post by DaWrestla »

Is it fair to say that somewhere after SSSC that the beastmen evolved horns on their heads (in EBC)?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

There are just multiple types of beastmen. Rather stupid to have all of them look the same in DS; we don't get a close look at them in Lunar 1 other than Mel and Jess, and one would expect them to look similar since they're closely related. A quote from the series' scenario creator:

22. Why are Mauri and Leo different from other people?

They're of the beastman race, like Master Mel [actually called "Admiral
Mel" in the original Japanese...] and Jessica of Lunar I. There seem to be
many types of beastmen - Jessica and Mel seem to be cat-types; Mauri and
Leo, dog-types.
Well, then, you might say, are there hippo-types and seagull-types? Umm...
that's a good question <g>.

---

Incidentally, the original designs for Leo and Mauri were for them to be centaurs, but the graphics people said they'd be too hard to animate, or something like that. (Someone also said it might be unfair to Ronfar.)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Or perhaps they had to respect Shining Force's monopoly on centaur PCs. :) Very, very interesting though... where did you hear about that??

I did feel that Lunar DS fell short in beastfolk variety. In Lunar 1 they come in so many shapes. The donkey-type ones you see in Meribia stand out to me.
「まあいいけど。」

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

Haha! Thanks for the answer. It's one of the few questions I've asked regarding Lunar that has an immediate and easy to understand resolution.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I think it's in the interviews in the Lunar I+II artbook which Temzin translated; the translations are up on the main site. The artbook itself shows those early drawings.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

http://www.lunar-net.com/interviews/lunaripii.php

That's the link to the artbook interviews. Definately good stuff.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, I wondered the same myself, but I think sprites are shown with horns in SSSC as well.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

DS Spoiler

[spoiler]Funny thing about DS...there's only ONE fairy shown, and only then post game. And it's Titus, the 'Priest of Althena' as he calls himself. But he knows far more then other priests. Makes me wonder what the Fae really are...[/spoiler]
Last edited by Angelalex242 on Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

What on earth are you talking about? Are you reading "sprite" as "fairy" for some reason?

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Yeah. Sprite, Fairy, same difference. ...though I could've sworn in EBC's Ghaleon's Garden, the first one you see said 'don't tease the fairies, they're sensitive creatures'. At which point, you have the option of 'they can handle teasing' or 'I won't.' And if you say they can handle teasing, the fairy says, "Ghaleon's gonna kick your ass if you do!"
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

No, not in this context. Sprite = ingame graphical representation of a character. Phyco's saying that even the beastmen in SSSC had horns.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

You know, it took me a long time to get what you two where talking about, only to realize that you just mistook the use of "sprite" for fairy. Heh, I suppose I really should have said "I thought I saw beastmen sprites in SSSC that have horns."

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

You did; and in Lunar Legend, too. No evolution, just different types of people. Mauri and Leo are siblings, so they'd both have horns, but it's not like Jessica's going to have a horn if Mel didn't.

Also, Gwyn's a beastman, and he's in EBC, and he has no horn.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm kind of sorry they couldn't implement the original idea of Leo and Mauri being centaurs. But then, I don't know how well four legs would work on a ship, let alone as a Defender of Justice.

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

I'm not; that would really change what beastmen are. How they are, they're a different species, but more like a different race. Inter-matable, pretty much the same as humans, except for a few outward attributes. If they were centaurs, that would be kind of weird...especially for Ronfar and Mauri. :shock:

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That was one of the comments about not doing it, that it would have been rather unfair to Ronfar. It's a little odd, yeah, since beastmen were already defined in TSS as being interchangeable with humans. I don't really think the centaur idea fits in with Lunar so well; heck, it seemed really strange to me to even have horses in SSSC. It would have been kind of neat to see a centaur in an RPG in general, though.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

It's not a traditional RPG, but the Shining Force series has used centaurs as a mainstay in the player's combat units. Some of the other Shining games have also used centaurs, but the Force sub-series has made the most use of them. I love the Shining centaurs, since they essentially take a knight and his horse an make them one entity. The vast majority of Shining centaurs are knights, and the few that aren't are generally archers. Their mobility from being able to run on four legs makes them great units on the open plains. :)
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

If there was a centaur in Lunar, I think that'd be neat, but just not as a beastman. Centaurs are interesting.