Lunar News Stories

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Kale
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar News Stories

Post by Kale »

I'm sorry I had to start a new topic for this, but it wasnt letting me post in the one that i had started, well, heres the first article i wrote.

Lunar: Silver Star Story
By: Torey Stickrath
A young man, a dream, and his determination. This may sound like the ingredients to a Powerpuff Girls spin off, but don’t be confused. This is actually the premise to the Lunar series.
At least…this is how the first game was. In Lunar: The Silver Star Story, you play Alex, a young man who aspires to be a dragon master ( a person that can use the power of the black, red, blue, and white dragons for the good of mankind). Along with him you get to control characters that range from the premier of a magic academy, a former friend of the previous dragon master, a songstress, a hard talker who’s an even harder drinker and womanizer (One of his first spoken lines that you hear is “Kyle had himself another night of wine, women, and song. Just between you and me I think I had a little too much of the wine, but the women didn't complain!") and a white smart-mouth cat that has two wings.

Unlike the Final Fantasy series that have a hard storyline and little bits of comedy, Lunar has A hard story line AND lots of good comedy to keep things from getting too dark. Example, in the beginning of the game, one of your characters wants to get unbelievably rich fast. But when you approach a dragon to get a special item called a “Dragon Diamond” and ask him about it. he replies “Don’t you know!? Those are my sh- never mind.” The dialogue he has during this time was not just superb but brilliant. Also, instead of the cut scenes being in Full Motion Video (3d Cinematic ) the in game movies are done in a Japanese anime style. The music was also a nice touch, from Burg’s calming tones, to the techno beats of one of the special boss fights, Everything was well done.
Currently there are three games out in America. Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete for the Sony Playstation One, and Lunar Dragon Song for the Nintendo Dual Screen (DS), and the original games for the Sega Saturn. If you would really like to play a game that has a long history and rich story, then give them a shot.

Writers Note: I plan to review the Lunar series in the order that they have came out, so in next month’s, be ready to hear about Lunar 2: Eternal Blue! And I would also like to thank GhaleonOne and my friends at LunarThreads.com for the great information.
"I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but...What kind of Cheesy poof is that!?"
~Ruby, Lunar 2 Eternal Blue after meeting Mystere

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Is this already turned in and finalized? Because if not, I have a few comments...

The original games in America were for the SegaCD, not the Saturn. You really should mention them by name as well, as they're considered by many to be the best in the series.

You seem to enjoy quoting lines which you think might be, well, humorous to the middle-school mentality, rather than examples of brilliance. The Kyle quote in particular doesn't really fit in, since you didn't quote any of the other characters. Calling Luna a Songstress doesn't really work either, as that's not her profession or most important characteristic; she's Alex's foster sister and love interest, whichever you want to emphasize. And what's with the "premier of a magic academy, a former friend of the previous dragon master"? If those are both supposed to be Ghaleon, they're redundant, and minor in that he's not really that controllable and you only have him for a short period of time; if the second one is meant to be Laike the same objection applies. Either only list two main party members (Mia and Kyle, perhaps, as the farthest apart in personality and background -- the shy, quiet heir to the Magic Guild and the drunken bandit), or all of the main four. Also, you may or may not want to mention that there is some CG in a couple of the cutscenes (the Boat Song and the Dark Goddess, possibly others that I'm forgetting). Actually, the Boat Song might be a good scene to mention as a notable moment in the game.

Incidentally, Kyle doesn't seem to be all that truthful in that drunken intro. If you know the next location in Nanza that he's supposed to turn up, you can go there before you're told to go there and talk to him. He's drunk, but sad and maudlin about Jessica being mad at him because he held another girl's hand.

Kale
Student of Vane

Post by Kale »

^.^ yeah, unfortunately its already turned in, I'll try to do the next one way better.
"I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but...What kind of Cheesy poof is that!?"
~Ruby, Lunar 2 Eternal Blue after meeting Mystere