old lunars on DS

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by DragonmasterDan »

First off my apologies for the mispelling of your name, the font type on this message board is extremely dark over white and it can't be adjusted as a result sometimes things are a bit hard to read.

Roas Atrades wrote:[

2- Comments on Innovation: re-read what I said....I'm not talking about innovation in terms of hardware. I am talking about games. Nintendo can twiddle out and take claim for all the hardware they want, but what matters in the end are games. Remember the Power Glove? It was a pretty sweet hardware idea, but Nintendo barfed it up because they did not support it at all with games.

Well, first off Matel NOT Nintendo made the power glove in the US. Some other company designed it. It's quite silly to blame Nintendo for a third party peripherals failure.

Info on the power glove.

So if you wanna say hardware is directly related to software, fine, but remember this. Everyone here will attest to the fact that all the Sega Consoles were superior pieces of hardware to what Sony put out. But what happened to these superior pieces of equipment? They failed because Sega did not import over a wide enough variety of games to truly make them successful. Both Saturn and Dreamcast had a great content of games, but we barely saw 1/10 of the total libraries here in America, and that was a major reason for failure.

Sega had superior pieces of hardware? They were more reliable than Sony's hardware which I am sure you know is known for breaking down, but not necessarily more powerful. As we all know the Saturn had two processors, but neither could do the 3D rendering the Playstation could, this in a lot of the reason why the Saturn was widely seen as being difficult to develop for my comparison. The Saturn was better at 2D games because of the extra processing power and the ability to add more RAM via the cartridge slot. But to say it was definitely "superior hardware" is a gross overstatement to say the least. The Dreamcast was obviously more powerful than an PSone, Saturn or N64, but it is technically inferior in most regards to the Playstation 2, let alone the Game Cube and Xbox. Also there wasn't nearly as massive of a library of un-localized Dreamcast games as the system wasn't nearly as successful in Jaapn as was its brother the Saturn. The whole statement that Sega made better hardware if it was in reference to more powerful hardware quite frankly is inaccurate.

So, yeah, go ahead and say the two are symbiotic, but I'd take a step back and remove try to take a non-fanboy perspective here. I am. I continue to say I DO NOT HATE NINTENDO! I simply don't think they know what the hell they are doing anymore to survive in the current gaming climate. Again, don't presume to get into my head and say what is appealing to me and what is not. I am simply stating the facts as I see them and many other decades long gamers such as myself do.

I was never saying that you hated Nintendo, what I was saying was that your complaints weren't exactly well founded, complaining about their lack of innovation and quality games is like complaining about EA's lack of sports titles.

"We don't really look at it as a competition between ourselvs and the other manufacturers. The more that we can get the media to point out that we're not competing with them and that they're not competing with us, then that leaves us with no competitors, and then we're number one!"

...that has to be the biggest crock I have ever read. This IS a competition. It's call Global Capitalism, and Nintendo was the leader of this race for almost a good 20 years. To go out and say something like this is either insane, or a man trying to rationalise that his company is behind the 8-ball against the two other giants of the current industry. It all comes down to the competition to earn money, and people will spend the money on the systems they feel more secure with.

What's meant by their statement is they aren't just trying to build a "better game system" they want to build a new gaming experience. Nintendo is always about innovating, and the new controller with the revolution is designed to draw new and innovative titles that take advantage of this capability that are exclusive to their platform. They aren't trying to be the best system for ports like Microsoft ihas been in competiting with Sony. They want a completely unique platform.
[/quote]

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

[Nintendo] want[s] to build a new gaming experience

Exactly. For anyone that doubts Nintendo, be it that they just make software in the future, or whatever...read....THIS!

http://lostgarden.com/2005/09/nintendos ... ategy.html
Vaporized before my eyes

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I've seen that before. Didn't either Rune or Alunissage link that back in the last Revolution debate a few months back?
-G1

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

G1- no problems on this end. Our end of the conversation was well within the debate as I see it.

Dawrestla- k, we're cool, then.

Dan-

Well, first off Matel NOT Nintendo made the power glove in the US. Some other company designed it. It's quite silly to blame Nintendo for a third party peripherals failure.

That still does not excuse Nintendo from screwing up an innovative idea. For a company that, as you claim, wants to go beyond and make a better gaming experience, then they should have jumped all over that. Instead they promoted a worthless product that sucked.

How about the Virtua Boy? That was a giganto bomb.

That dumbass bazooka for the SNES? Yeah, that blew.

I'm sure if I took a little more time to delve into my mental archive I could list a few more bombs, but why bother. As I repeatedly say, my beef is NOT WITH HARDWARE. Why you continually drag it back into focus is beyond me. Well, I'm sure if I gave it thought I could figure out why, but in the end it doesn't matter.

Sega had superior pieces of hardware? They were more reliable than Sony's hardware which I am sure you know is known for breaking down, but not necessarily more powerful. As we all know the Saturn had two processors, but neither could do the 3D rendering the Playstation could, this in a lot of the reason why the Saturn was widely seen as being difficult to develop for my comparison. The Saturn was better at 2D games because of the extra processing power and the ability to add more RAM via the cartridge slot. But to say it was definitely "superior hardware" is a gross overstatement to say the least. The Dreamcast was obviously more powerful than an PSone, Saturn or N64, but it is technically inferior in most regards to the Playstation 2, let alone the Game Cube and Xbox. Also there wasn't nearly as massive of a library of un-localized Dreamcast games as the system wasn't nearly as successful in Jaapn as was its brother the Saturn. The whole statement that Sega made better hardware if it was in reference to more powerful hardware quite frankly is inaccurate.

Wow, that's a lotta techno speak. Congratulations on making me look foolish...oh wait, it doesn't disprove anything truly relavent to my main arguement. So I was not techno-acurate, so I'm not a reliable expert witness for specs in a court of law. In the end, ironically, you sound just like the old school Sega Hardcore fans back in the day when they were arguing the superiority of the Sega consoles over Sony and Nintendo (this is pre Microsoft). They dropped a ton of specs in their responses, but many times they skirted the issues.

So does this disprove that there were a lot of good games we never got to play for the Saturn or Dreamcast? Uh, no. Again your refusal to let go of the hardware issue continues add little to your case. Hardware DOES NOT solely make the game. Back in the day, when the technology was not even an 1/8th of what it is today, Nintendo did make superior games compared to what we have now.

Are you going to tell me that because the Cube had great hardware compared to an SNES, that the crapfest Mario Sunshine (or whatever the hell pitiful excuse for a Mario game was) is better than the classic that is Super Marior World? Hell, Mario 64 isn't even better than Super Marior World.

Right there is an example of how far Nintendo has fallen with what can still be considered their mascot. The endless Mario Parties aside (which people are finding worse and worse since I hear 7 is atrocious), Nintendo has not done justice to their most classic character in over ten years. Nintendo should really consider making a Mario game that is as classic and beautiful as World or even Mario 3.

You don't need super hardware to make a good game. You need creativity that is not dried up. Yeah, hardware can make things look all pretty, but if the characters, story, overall experience sucks, then what's it worth really as entertainment?

A pretty looking game worth $40-$60 that sucks.

I was never saying that you hated Nintendo, what I was saying was that your complaints weren't exactly well founded, complaining about their lack of innovation and quality games is like complaining about EA's lack of sports titles.

Well, I may not be drowning my posts in techno babble and pin point exact facts, but I would not call 20 years of videogaming experience not well founded.

I've played everything out there for the past twenty years. All systems, all genres, for probably more hours than I've slept in my lifetime. I'd trust that kind of experience with videogames a whole hell of a lot more than loads of articles and techno drivle saying "this is innovative" or "this is more powerful" or "this game is a hit."

Pretty much all of my friends have that same amount of experience as I, so when they speak, I listen rather then to some bloated executive in an interview spewing BS about what they are going to be doing. Not to mention magazine reviews and fluff interviews are basically done these days by company line toaters who would suck up to a demon if it meant getting a few words in print.

What's meant by their statement is they aren't just trying to build a "better game system" they want to build a new gaming experience. Nintendo is always about innovating, and the new controller with the revolution is designed to draw new and innovative titles that take advantage of this capability that are exclusive to their platform. They aren't trying to be the best system for ports like Microsoft ihas been in competiting with Sony. They want a completely unique platform.

Man...I gotta take aim on this one.

The new controller...plus that wonky wand they plan on using....are completely and utterly impractical for games.

Why?

Hmm...well in that fluff piece, there is a statement made that makers of Metal Gear Solid were very interested in the controler as a possibility.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who has played a Metal Gear Solid game knows that a conroler like that is not condusive to surviving the trials of such a game. You're going to crawl around, sneak up, and strangler someone with that controller? You're going to take aim and track the very quick bosses with that controller? I don't think so.

And just to add something to that loaded statement from the interview. In the cover story a little deeper into Game Informer, Hideo Kojima, creator of MGS games, says that while he's been all right with releasing MSG on the other consoles, to him, it is a Playstation series.

So...if MSG makers are so interested in that controller....then why is the big man himself pretty much saying that his series is tailor made for Playstation?

And riddle me this, batman.

As the rumor mills are going spin crazy going into next year, good and faithful Ninetendo, who has its fans hearts in their minds, seems to be not only pushing back the release of Zelda: Twilight Princess....buuuuuuut....

It looks like Nintendo is going to scrap it for the Cube and push it to the Revolution.

"Now wait, Roas, this proves you wrong! Look at this great game that is going to be on the Revolution!"

Maybe. Maybe.

But what does this say about the company that is supposed to be trying to make that better gaming experience? What does it say that they are about to give one final "Screw You" to Cube owners who were awaiting this last grand hurrah for their system?

"Oh, sorry, Cube owners. We're not going to let you play what looks to be a most excellent addition to the Zelda series. But guess what! You can go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a new system in addtion to the $60-$70 cost of the game...when originally all you had to do was spend the money on the game."

Foul play, man. Foul play.

Now....how can you say Nintendo is not trying to compete if this comes to pass? How is not having one of your three most successful franchises as a launch title not a move to try and sell more of your console than your competitors'?

I think it's time to step out of Fanboy Land and realize that business is business and Nintendo is just as ruthless, soulless, and money hungry as Sony and Microsoft.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Roas: My argument is that new developments in hardware lead to new kinds of software. In the past decade only a handful of new genres of games have been released period. Sims style games, Music Games (and the old Sega CD "Make your Own video" games don't really count as this since it was just video editing) and now touch screen games. The statement about innovation in hardware is key to their software. Games like Mario 64 wouldn't have been possible if Nintendo hadn't first developed the analog stick to play with it which has since become standard on every console. Games like Wario Ware Touched! wouldn't be possible without the innovation of the touch screen. Changes Nintendo makes in innovating hardware are what facilitates changes in gameplay design. There is only so much further you can go with a standard type of control scheme, this is why so many novelty controllers are being released for various system, from Taiko Drum Master Drums to dance pads for DDR, to the massive monstrosity that is the Xbox Steel Battalion controller, changes in hardware and more specifically control have led to changes in games themselves. They are directly related. This is why I keep going on about it.

Hardware DOES NOT solely make the game. Back in the day, when the technology was not even an 1/8th of what it is today, Nintendo did make superior games compared to what we have now.

I absolutely agree that hardware does not solely make the game. But innovative hardware (particularly with regard to control) leads to innovation in game design. Most of the advances I am talking about are not hardware in the traditional sense of a more capable 3D rendering GPU or more RAM or a change in the media format games are played over. The changes I speak of are CONTROL related changes in hardware which lead to software taking advantage of it. It takes good game design to make a good game, and that combined with changes in how we interface with games. As I stated above the changes in control facilitate innovative game design.

Are you going to tell me that because the Cube had great hardware compared to an SNES, that the crapfest Mario Sunshine (or whatever the hell pitiful excuse for a Mario game was) is better than the classic that is Super Marior World? Hell, Mario 64 isn't even better than Super Marior World.

Right there is an example of how far Nintendo has fallen with what can still be considered their mascot. The endless Mario Parties aside (which people are finding worse and worse since I hear 7 is atrocious), Nintendo has not done justice to their most classic character in over ten years. Nintendo should really consider making a Mario game that is as classic and beautiful as World or even Mario 3.

A lot of people think that Mario Sunshine is a fantastic game,. A quick look at GameRankings.com a site that indexes magazine and large website reviews for games in order to create an average llist Mario Sunshine as having an average rating around 92% and is overall in the top 100 ranked games of all time, IMario Sunshine Game Rankings stats

There are games out there I personally dislike but I at least respect that the general consensus towards them may or may not be positive. Calling a game with the critical acclaim of Mario Sunshine a "crapfest" certainly reveals your true objectivity in this discussion.

I've played everything out there for the past twenty years. All systems, all genres, for probably more hours than I've slept in my lifetime. I'd trust that kind of experience with videogames a whole hell of a lot more than loads of articles and techno drivle saying "this is innovative" or "this is more powerful" or "this game is a hit."

Pretty much all of my friends have that same amount of experience as I, so when they speak, I listen rather then to some bloated executive in an interview spewing BS about what they are going to be doing. Not to mention magazine reviews and fluff interviews are basically done these days by company line toaters who would suck up to a demon if it meant getting a few words in print.

Absoltely, I've been playing games since I was a wee lad and am well over 20 years into my gaming career myself. Having worked in the industry on the media end both in print and online over the years I absolutely agree with you regarding fluff interviews. Some magazines reviews are trustworthy some aren't, the same goes with websites. But in general a system like that of GameRankings as referenced above works out well since it takes averages and creates a general score from reputable organizations. This is in case you decide to bash my referencing of it from earlier.

As the rumor mills are going spin crazy going into next year, good and faithful Ninetendo, who has its fans hearts in their minds, seems to be not only pushing back the release of Zelda: Twilight Princess....buuuuuuut....

It looks like Nintendo is going to scrap it for the Cube and push it to the Revolution.

This is an absolute rumor and nothing more. The game was delayed so that Nintendo could continue to maintain the same high quality standard they've set with previous installments of the Zelda series (I could reference that on Game Rankings if you'd like). Considering Nintendo has gone as far as to design display boxes for the GameCube release of Twilight Princess it's nothing but pure random speculation that the title would be moved to Revolution with no evidence at all supporting it.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Roas wrote:So...if MSG makers are so interested in that controller....then why is the big man himself pretty much saying that his series is tailor made for Playstation?

The NEW Nintendo Revolution!
All Natural!
No MSG!

...sorry, I couldn't resist. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Kizyr wrote:The NEW Nintendo Revolution!
All Natural!
No MSG!

...sorry, I couldn't resist. KF

...thanks for the help. Kiz :P

My argument is that new developments in hardware lead to new kinds of software. In the past decade only a handful of new genres of games have been released period. Sims style games, Music Games (and the old Sega CD "Make your Own video" games don't really count as this since it was just video editing) and now touch screen games. The statement about innovation in hardware is key to their software. Games like Mario 64 wouldn't have been possible if Nintendo hadn't first developed the analog stick to play with it which has since become standard on every console. Games like Wario Ware Touched! wouldn't be possible without the innovation of the touch screen. Changes Nintendo makes in innovating hardware are what facilitates changes in gameplay design. There is only so much further you can go with a standard type of control scheme, this is why so many novelty controllers are being released for various system, from Taiko Drum Master Drums to dance pads for DDR, to the massive monstrosity that is the Xbox Steel Battalion controller, changes in hardware and more specifically control have led to changes in games themselves. They are directly related. This is why I keep going on about it.

Okay, again you have missed the point entirely by drowning us in hardware speak. I am not talking about graphics, control, or any other of that stuff.

Cotent content content.

All that stuff with does not amount to a hill of beans when it comes to creating a story, characters, or the content of a world in general. What does having a touch screen mean if the characters in a game suck? What's the point of a movement pad if the game is one repetative cliched zone after another because the creators wanted to spend more time on the precious hardware capabilities rather than the more creative aspects.

You say all these innovative hardware advancements lead to new game creation, but you ignore the true heart of the games. You are so intent on focusing on the numbers and the facts of the spec details that you forget the game is more than the physical aspects.

Games have a heart built around good story telling, character design (and I mean personalities and background not what they look like in game), and a well detailed world with a rich history. If all you want to focus on is how hardware makes prettier games with new physical features...and forget what truly makes the games we love so great, then I'm sure you'd enjoy a pretty game of Pong with a touch screen and a dance pad.

A lot of people think that Mario Sunshine is a fantastic game,. A quick look at GameRankings.com a site that indexes magazine and large website reviews for games in order to create an average llist Mario Sunshine as having an average rating around 92% and is overall in the top 100 ranked games of all time, IMario Sunshine Game Rankings stats

There are games out there I personally dislike but I at least respect that the general consensus towards them may or may not be positive. Calling a game with the critical acclaim of Mario Sunshine a "crapfest" certainly reveals your true objectivity in this discussion.

Dude....it's a poll...and an internet poll at that. Polls are notoriously one of the most misleading forms of representation out there. Asking a 100 people and saying it can reflect the opinion of thousands is, when you really think about it, obsurd.

You can pull all the numbers and averages from a thousand articles, but it's still faceless numbers. Talk to people, get real opinions, not the averaged polls that sample the merest fractions of gaming populations. Have you ever talked to people about these games that are "critically aclaimed" (and acclaimed no less by people who really are not gamers)? I mean, honestly, in college, which was a truly diverse collection of people who played games, games like Mario Sunshine were considered laughable and a joke.

Twice a year back in college, I would co-host a day long party where we would take over the student union, invite people to come, and play games all day. We had all the systems with wide selections of games (cuz I went out and rented whatever I could and charged it to the school :P) and a game like Mario Sunshine was laughed off the table and replaced by good old SNES Mario Cart with just it's average gamepad and buttons.

So stop quoting these intangible numbers and start relating honest life experience. As I said before, my real life experience trump all this stuff you keep trying to overload me with.

You say, in a manner of speaking, that I am clearly biased in this discussion, but you are also clearly looking through the beer goggles of a fanboy. All this time you are just throwing polls, spec quotes, and more numbers at me while never really getting to the heart of what I am saying.

What makes a game truly worthy is more than the hardware it was designed with to make it look nice, handled in a certain way, or even sound nice. The core of a game starts with an idea...an idea that forms as a story about characters and places that make you fall in love with it.

That is what Lunar has done for so many of us. We don't play it for the graphics, the music, or the game control. The original stories of Lunar with the unforgettable characters and the rich, living history that surrounds it is what truly makes a game a game.

Not this crude matter that surrounds it to make it pretty(couldn't help myself).

You can claim all these great innovations make way for new this and that, but if all you have is the physical aspects...no heart of the game...then why is it even worth playing?

If a MUD has a good story with funny characters and a detailed world I can bum around in, I'd play that over dry, repetative game with no heart that has a touch screen with fitted controls that I can put on my feet cuz I need my hands free to conduct the music myself in the game.

Stop with the cold facts and get to the heart, man. If Nintendo makes a single, "high quality" game every six months with that kind of heart intended for true entertainment rather than to appeal to demographics (more numbers)...that's awesome.

But I ain't gonna buy a $300 console to wait those every six months when I know that the other systems are purposely putting time into a greater number of games with heart in addtion to trying to appeal to the demographics.

Nothing you have said proves a single bit that Nintendo really has people like myself, and there are a lot of us, in mind for this greater gaming experience you are all a tizzy about. Querky games are fun for a rent...but not for a serious gamer to buy or invest money in a console for.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Roas Atrades wrote:Okay, again you have missed the point entirely by drowning us in hardware speak. I am not talking about graphics, control, or any other of that stuff.

Cotent content content.

All that stuff with does not amount to a hill of beans when it comes to creating a story, characters, or the content of a world in general. What does having a touch screen mean if the characters in a game suck? What's the point of a movement pad if the game is one repetative cliched zone after another because the creators wanted to spend more time on the precious hardware capabilities rather than the more creative aspects.

You say all these innovative hardware advancements lead to new game creation, but you ignore the true heart of the games. You are so intent on focusing on the numbers and the facts of the spec details that you forget the game is more than the physical aspects.

Games have a heart built around good story telling, character design (and I mean personalities and background not what they look like in game), and a well detailed world with a rich history. If all you want to focus on is how hardware makes prettier games with new physical features...and forget what truly makes the games we love so great, then I'm sure you'd enjoy a pretty game of Pong with a touch screen and a dance pad.

What makes a game fun is PLAYING a game, can a good story, characters and dialogue help with the presentation of a game? Absolutely but does a game with no stoiry like Tetris make it a bad game, no. That's what I am getting at story doesn't make a game. Gameplay makes a game, this is why a title like say Shadow Madness with a good story and dialogue isn't a good game in most people's opinions. Because the gameplay sucks. Gameplay makes a game. Not all types of games are story oriented. If a game is about keeping with a beat and freestyling like a music game or precision quick touching of a touch screen or shooting with a light gun, does the lack of a story make it a bad game? I don't think so. Games like Point Blank, WarioWare, and most music games are perfect examples of this. Innovations in control have created innovations in gameplay. Not storytelling GAME PLAY. Not all innovations have to deal with presentation.

Dude....it's a poll...and an internet poll at that. Polls are notoriously one of the most misleading forms of representation out there. Asking a 100 people and saying it can reflect the opinion of thousands is, when you really think about it, obsurd.

You can pull all the numbers and averages from a thousand articles, but it's still faceless numbers. Talk to people, get real opinions, not the averaged polls that sample the merest fractions of gaming populations. Have you ever talked to people about these games that are "critically aclaimed" (and acclaimed no less by people who really are not gamers)? I mean, honestly, in college, which was a truly diverse collection of people who played games, games like Mario Sunshine were considered laughable and a joke.

First off it's not an open poll. The main rating comes from professional game critics reviews. It's not a "hot or not" of game reviewing. It's as good of a system of gauging the quality of anything out there provided a title has enough reviews to be ranked.

Second are college gamers really the most diverse group of people or is it right in Microsoft and Sony's target range (18-30 year old males) who as a result may favor those platforms. I'm not sure.

Twice a year back in college, I would co-host a day long party where we would take over the student union, invite people to come, and play games all day. We had all the systems with wide selections of games (cuz I went out and rented whatever I could and charged it to the school Razz) and a game like Mario Sunshine was laughed off the table and replaced by good old SNES Mario Cart with just it's average gamepad and buttons.

Mario Kart is a great game for parties, Mario Sunshine is a single player game for individuals, obviously you're going to have more fun playing a multiplayer title like Mario Kart (even the two player SNES original) over a single player platformer like Mario.

You say, in a manner of speaking, that I am clearly biased in this discussion, but you are also clearly looking through the beer goggles of a fanboy. All this time you are just throwing polls, spec quotes, and more numbers at me while never really getting to the heart of what I am saying.

What you were saying was Nintendo wasn't and isn't innovating and isn't making quality games, two things I completely disagreed with and popular critical opinoion is on my side. That's not being a fanboy, being a fanboy or a "hater" is doing things like spouting unsubstaniated rumors to help support opinions and dodging areas where you are clearly wrong.

Not all games are about storytelling or multiplayer modes. This sems to be the emphasis of your argument rather than a lack quality titles or innovation which you tried to pass it as. Critical opiinion in general is that Nintendo's key franchises are generally high quality titles with only a few rare misses. They also are innovating the way games play to create new genres. Your arguments seem to primarily but not soley related to a lack of storytelling in Nintendo's titles. As I said, the game play is what makes a game, not necessarily the story.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

What makes a game fun is PLAYING a game, can a good story, characters and dialogue help with the presentation of a game? Absolutely but does a game with no stoiry like Tetris make it a bad game, no. That's what I am getting at story doesn't make a game. Gameplay makes a game, this is why a title like say Shadow Madness with a good story and dialogue isn't a good game in most people's opinions. Because the gameplay sucks. Gameplay makes a game. Not all types of games are story oriented. If a game is about keeping with a beat and freestyling like a music game or precision quick touching of a touch screen or shooting with a light gun, does the lack of a story make it a bad game? I don't think so. Games like Point Blank, WarioWare, and most music games are perfect examples of this. Innovations in control have created innovations in gameplay. Not storytelling GAME PLAY. Not all innovations have to deal with presentation.

Gee. What a wonderful, colorful world you are painting the gaming world to be. Who cares if something doesn't have an ounce of creativity in it. As long as it's innovative and new, we will play it and love it because our unevolved minds must be challenged by innovative gameplay, because that is the primary reason we play games.

Man. That's boring as hell. I always wondered what tunnel vision must be like. Now I know.

So, you're telling me that without a story, games like Halo, Quake, and Doom would be just as fun? Hmm. I beg to differ, mon senior. That cheese does not smell good.

Among my friends are the hardcore first person gamers. Yes, they are slightly mindless and spare little time doing things other than eating and sleeping, but they are good at that genre, better than I. They love their first person shooters, but you know why? It's not just the running around and killing thanks to the 360 degree control. Because they love the stories of those games too. They get a huge kick out of emersing themselves into the role of, say, the Master Chief, and blowing away covanent ass to save the world.

Why do people like playing sports games? Because they can take on the peronsa of todays hottest athletes and pretend to live that life. In addition to good gameplay, which the Madden games excel at, that sounds like a great story to me, and the millions of Madden fans will agree with me.

So tell me this. How does a game begin? Where does a game development start? Does it start with a gameplay board? No wait. A hardware board? Umm....oh, I know.

I believe it's called a story board. Games do not exist without the creative aspect that you are so calously tossing aside. I embrace the nice things that hardware enables, but that hardware is useless without a good game that has it all with story and gameplay. You are so intent on pin pricking my arguement apart, you are failing to realize your own mistake. Games can't even begin without someone coming up with a creative idea or story behind it. You are tossing aside creativity like its an extra appendage that can be done without, leaving just nuts and bolts gameplay.

As I said. Tunnel vision. A game needs it all to be good and worthy of good investment. All the best games have a compelling story aspect to them of some sort to go with that innovative gameplay you worship. But strip it all away, and you are left with Tetris. A boring game that people play when their brains are dead at work and they are just wasting time til the clock hits 5 PM and they can go home and play something more engaging that titilates their mind with a great story to go with that gameplay.

First off it's not an open poll. The main rating comes from professional game critics reviews. It's not a "hot or not" of game reviewing. It's as good of a system of gauging the quality of anything out there provided a title has enough reviews to be ranked.

Second are college gamers really the most diverse group of people or is it right in Microsoft and Sony's target range (18-30 year old males) who as a result may favor those platforms. I'm not sure.

But, dude, that doesn't change the fact that it's still a poll, limited to a select few people who are bolstering it with their opinions. You yourself agreed with my statement that interviews and magazine rating systems are fluff now a days. So you are saying, that these people who write fluff articles are going to be the ones whose opinions will be averaged, thanks to the might of the internet, and that I am supposed to trust them?

Again, magazines as professional reviews this day suck beyond suck. I don't trust them now, and I am not going to trust them for a long time. I talk to my friends and other piers in the gaming world to get a beat on what is good and what is bad. Or, I spend a few cheap bucks and rent it myself before buying it.

And yes, college is a diverse ground for gaming. Never did I see a more diverse group of gamers thanks to personalities, game playing habits, and general views on life. Again, you are trying to gloss over a human fact by tacking on a faceless number to dehumanize it. It's not about the numbers, it's about the people, and what the people want. And people want to own a system that will provide them with the widest variety of games that reach them on multiple levels...not just fascinate the eyes with gameplay.

I think I'm almost out of the tunnel. I can see daylight.

Mario Kart is a great game for parties, Mario Sunshine is a single player game for individuals, obviously you're going to have more fun playing a multiplayer title like Mario Kart (even the two player SNES original) over a single player platformer like Mario.

That still doesn't change the fact that everyone who I know who owned a Cube laughed at it and chose to play better single player games at the party and in private playing. Again, personal experience trumps your numbers. Sorry, mate.

Next.

What you were saying was Nintendo wasn't and isn't innovating and isn't making quality games, two things I completely disagreed with and popular critical opinoion is on my side. That's not being a fanboy, being a fanboy or a "hater" is doing things like spouting unsubstaniated rumors to help support opinions and dodging areas where you are clearly wrong.

Not all games are about storytelling or multiplayer modes. This sems to be the emphasis of your argument rather than a lack quality titles or innovation which you tried to pass it as. Critical opiinion in general is that Nintendo's key franchises are generally high quality titles with only a few rare misses. They also are innovating the way games play to create new genres. Your arguments seem to primarily but not soley related to a lack of storytelling in Nintendo's titles. As I said, the game play is what makes a game, not necessarily the story.

Oh, sorry, wrong again. No cookie for you.

Never said their are not innovating, I say that their innovations are not helping their situation in the gaming market. That new controller is a waste of time and effort, because it is not condusive to intense gaming. I also never said they don't make quality games. My point is that their true quality games are very few and far between, which makes it a waste of money to buy their consoles when they are expensive. If they had consecutive releases like a top notch Zelda game, a classy shooter like Halo, something akin to a quality Mario game, or some adventure titles that truly did break the mold, all released with a relative amount of time after one another, then Nintendo would look as good as Sony or Microsoft as an investment of time and money.

But in reality, Nintendo releases that great Zelda game or that cool Metroid game veeeeeeeeery far apart. And in between you have their slosh of other games, which they admit are geared towards trying to attract multiple age groups first, instead of satisfying the age group they already had in their pockets from long ago.

That's part of the crux in a nutshell, amigo. Nintendo is so worried about getting that multi-demographic you like so much, that they forgot about the consumers who made them what they were for almost 2 decades.

So I'm not spouting rumors as a "hater", as you put it. I am talking from the standpoint of an old fan, who wonders why he was left standing on the curb by a company he was doggedly loyal to for so many years.

"Why?" I wondered that fateful day. "Why is Nintendo making a more expensive system in the N64? Well, maybe I'll give it a chance. Hey, wait a minute. What are these games? Yeah, a couple of these are nice to play once or twice, but where is that long term, replayable quality games I'm used to from Nintendo? Well, there seems to be a new Zelda game coming, but that's a few years away. I don't think I want to wait."

And that is now many of us reacted that fateful day back in the mid '90's.

The emphasis of my arguement, as you miss the target again, is not just about story telling. I don't know where you get multi-player from, cuz that is not something I've touched on at length. A game is the sum of its parts, and while Nintendo, when it does get it all, does a great job with that high end game, they don't do it enough to get my full time business, or that of plenty of other consumers, which is why they are considered to be at the back of the pack.

You keep going in circles trying to level me with empty points concerning numbers, specs, and opinions based on compilations of people who have the worst abilities to judge games in this world. You seem to be of that ilk that excuse all the failures, as long as you get that single good game once in a while. For people like that it's "Who cares if we wasted all that money and time waiting. We got that one great game that makes it worth it!"

Well, I hate to break it to you, but most people don't like waiting for that gem game, great as they may be. I never said those great Nintendo games aren't great, they just take...oh wait...I'm starting to repeat myself. I wonder how many more times I have to say it before it sinks in? Okay, here's a new line to go out on.

Things are expensive, and there is more out there than just games. Life has made me a frugal person, and many others like myself thanks to college loans, over expensive bills, and now gas. People want to be entertained to relax, and now a days it's the videogames that provide that for us. We all try to find that right game rythem that does it for us, and involves finding that right system.

The innovation you are so proud of is not a garuntee for relaxation. People want reliable sources, because when they come home they don't want to have to wonder if their toy will actually help them relax. Innovation is a gamble, at any stage, but for Nintendo it's a desperate gamble for them at this point in the race (and don't try to deny that it is not a race). They still make that occasional inredible game, but in this day and age people are not patient or tolerent enough to just wait for it. Sony and Microsoft may take the shotgun approach, but they are hitting more targets than Nintendo when it comes to reliability for gaming comfort.

And that is what it comes down to.

Comfort.

Myself and many others are not comfortable with the combination of Nintendo and console anymore. I'm not talking about handhelds. Nintendo has made themself top dog in handheld (pun intended), even at the expense of a console, which is, in the end, the main course. Nintendo and console just does not inspire that feeling of sure thing success anymore.

Plain and simple.

Okay. I think I'm ready for the next wave of stats. Wait, let me get something to eat first.

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

I say that their innovations are not helping their situation in the gaming market

I think this is false. Nintendo may be (slightly) in 3rd place on the global scale when it comes to number of *console* units sold. But, when you add up consoles and handhelds, they're number one.

But still, that doesn't really matter. What does matter is the bottom line. Profit. And even though Nintendo is third, when it comes to the big three, Nintendo is the only company that makes a profit from selling a home console. And, enough cubes have been sold...and continue to be sold...so that Nintendo posts a profit every fiscal year.

As long as this continues in this generation, and as long as Nintendo can sell enough Revs to continue this trend in the next, then Nintendo will keep making consoles. I honestly see Nintendo just folding completely before they go out of the console business...they're too proud of a company like that.
Vaporized before my eyes

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

DaWrestla wrote:
I think this is false. Nintendo may be (slightly) in 3rd place on the global scale when it comes to number of *console* units sold. But, when you add up consoles and handhelds, they're number one.

But still, that doesn't really matter. What does matter is the bottom line. Profit. And even though Nintendo is third, when it comes to the big three, Nintendo is the only company that makes a profit from selling a home console. And, enough cubes have been sold...and continue to be sold...so that Nintendo posts a profit every fiscal year.

As long as this continues in this generation, and as long as Nintendo can sell enough Revs to continue this trend in the next, then Nintendo will keep making consoles. I honestly see Nintendo just folding completely before they go out of the console business...they're too proud of a company like that.

I can see where this kind of logic may make sense, but at this point of the Cube's life it is kinda irrelivent, and makes my point at the same time.

Handhelds do not factor into this equation of the debate. The success of handhelds is not in question, because Nintendo does make a better handheld. The only time I refer to handhelds from this point is to say that Nintendo, IMO, has put too much effort into it and neglected its console end to an extent.

If Cube sales are stable, then indeed people may be buying them, but they are the people who are in my camp. They are most likely buying Cubes, both used and new, because the risk is relatively low now. The Cube is at the end of its life, so now everything for it is cheap, and now people like myself will pick and choose through very affordable used games and peripherals without taking a huge hit in the wallet.

But just because we are spending wisely with an inexpensive Cube now, does not mean we are going to go out and buy a Revolution at full price. I don't think that is a stable bridge you have built between the two points. Again, this brings my about my point of how subjective the numbers a few of you rely on can be.

You have no idea the circumstances in which someone may be buying a Gamecube. There is no way you can say that since they buy a Cube, at this moment, they are going to buy a Revolution. Granted, the opposite can be said. How can I prove they because they buy a Cube they won't buy a Revolution?

I can't, in all honesty, but I can put practical knowledge and experience behind my theory because I know many people who think as I do and are acting in the same manner. They are indeed just buying Cube stuff because it is cheap now, and they have no intention of buying a Revolution. And if they do buy a Revolution, it would be after they own either a PS3 or 360 and the Revolution had a price drop to go with a decent library.

But then we are getting back to the main point. We don't trust the output possibilities of a Nintendo library anymore.

So your point has some logic to it, but it can easily be broken down to subjective components.

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

but at this point of the Cube's life it is kinda irrelivent,

I agree, but after this generation is over, Nintendo will have been successful in it when it comes to the $$$ aspect. There still are a lot of good games coming out for the 'Cube, just not enough...and not on the scope that come out for the PS2. Zelda will do for the 'Cube what it did for the N64, though.

Handhelds do not factor into this equation of the debate. The success of handhelds is not in question, because Nintendo does make a better handheld. The only time I refer to handhelds from this point is to say that Nintendo, IMO, has put too much effort into it and neglected its console end to an extent

I agree with you 100% on this one, but it was a point that I wanted to point out. That's all.

They are most likely buying Cubes, both used and new, because the risk is relatively low now. The Cube is at the end of its life, so now everything for it is cheap, and now people like myself will pick and choose through very affordable used games and peripherals without taking a huge hit in the wallet.

What's funny is that I'm the exact opposite, then. I buy the Nintendo product first for several reasons, and wait for a significant price drop and resolution of hardware issues with a PlayStation. I'm not going to buy a PS2 until FFXII and KH2 come out.

But just because we are spending wisely with an inexpensive Cube now, does not mean we are going to go out and buy a Revolution at full price.

Yep, this is exactly what I'm going to do. Only with the PS2. Exact opposite, I know.

Basically, we're two different sides to the same coin. Kinda...

I see your point, though. I kind of jumped into this debate mid-stride, so forgive me if I repeat anything, BUT I think what it all comes down to is trust.

I trust Nintendo for my reasons, you trust one (or both) of the other guys for your own. Really, that's what it all comes down to. And I think that people who trust Nintendo will have the same reasons that I have. People who trust the same guys you do will be because of the same reasons you have.

Now, on a completely subjective note. I will be picking up a Revolution at launch, a PS3 maybe 5 years after it's released and is below $200, and not a 360 at all. Because as far as I'm concerned, the only Xbox exclusive I want to play *REALLY BAD* is Halo 3. But one game isn't enough to warrant paying over $300 for a system.

IMO.
Vaporized before my eyes

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Roas Atrades wrote:
Gee. What a wonderful, colorful world you are painting the gaming world to be. Who cares if something doesn't have an ounce of creativity in it. As long as it's innovative and new, we will play it and love it because our unevolved minds must be challenged by innovative gameplay, because that is the primary reason we play games.

I'm not saying just being innovative and new makes a good game. I am saying that making a well designed well playing game makes a good game. Having story as an emphasis can add to the experience but it doesn't make the game.

So, you're telling me that without a story, games like Halo, Quake, and Doom would be just as fun? Hmm. I beg to differ, mon senior. That cheese does not smell good.

Among my friends are the hardcore first person gamers. Yes, they are slightly mindless and spare little time doing things other than eating and sleeping, but they are good at that genre, better than I. They love their first person shooters, but you know why? It's not just the running around and killing thanks to the 360 degree control. Because they love the stories of those games too. They get a huge kick out of emersing themselves into the role of, say, the Master Chief, and blowing away covanent ass to save the world.

The original first person shooter titles like Wolfenstein, Doom and so on didn't have much of a story. No dialogue between characters, just blast em up action. Were they bad games? No. Did they suffer from not having a story? In my opinion no. Having a story can help a game, I never said that it can't. But it doesn't make a game either, a game without a story depending on the genre doesn't necessarily suffer because it doesn't have any story or a complex story.

Why do people like playing sports games? Because they can take on the peronsa of todays hottest athletes and pretend to live that life. In addition to good gameplay, which the Madden games excel at, that sounds like a great story to me, and the millions of Madden fans will agree with me.

The "story" in sports games is not realy a story in the traditional sense. It's taking on something that exists in the real world and allowing you to be in the position of great athletes (or in some games create custom players based on yourself and your friends to compete). When I say story doesn't make a game I mean a story with a real plot. Trying to say that a sports game which basically just uses players based on real life people is a story is kind of ridiculous. I think you are misintepreting my definition of "story".

So tell me this. How does a game begin? Where does a game development start? Does it start with a gameplay board? No wait. A hardware board? Umm....oh, I know.

Not all games begin with a story board, a lot of and in fact most games begin with character design and then move from there. A storyboard again is how you design a story. When say a new Platform game is designed the first thing that is done is design the characters, then the envirionments and move from there on to how the characters will move and then into basic gameplay mechanics. With some genres like RPGs you're right, storyboards are written immediately after character design. But this does not go with most genres of games. Ask any experienced developer.

All the best games have a compelling story aspect to them of some sort to go with that innovative gameplay you worship. But strip it all away, and you are left with Tetris. A boring game that people play when their brains are dead at work and they are just wasting time til the clock hits 5 PM and they can go home and play something more engaging that titilates their mind with a great story to go with that gameplay.

I fundamentally disagree that "a;; the best gameshave a compelling story aspect". Have you ever played Super Monkey Ball? Just about any party game that's not a first person shooter has basically no plot. A lot of platformers have very simple and cliched "Save the princess", "Save the world", type plots, very far from compelling in my opinion. Most SHMUPs have basically no story to speak of, yet they're incredibly fun games to play.

You talk about tunnel vision yet you're basically saying that any game without a compelling story isn't a good game. When you look at puzzle, party, music and many other genres of games they very few of them have anything resembling a "compelling story". Yet they're fun games because they are fun to play.

But, dude, that doesn't change the fact that it's still a poll, limited to a select few people who are bolstering it with their opinions. You yourself agreed with my statement that interviews and magazine rating systems are fluff now a days. So you are saying, that these people who write fluff articles are going to be the ones whose opinions will be averaged, thanks to the might of the internet, and that I am supposed to trust them?

Again, magazines as professional reviews this day suck beyond suck. I don't trust them now, and I am not going to trust them for a long time. I talk to my friends and other piers in the gaming world to get a beat on what is good and what is bad. Or, I spend a few cheap bucks and rent it myself before buying it.

I said SOME Magazines and online publications used as ranked references aren't the most credible with reviews. This is a minority, sites like Yahoo games and newspapers that GameRankings averages the reviews in of quite frankly shouldn't be there as they are not staffed by experienced game journalists. This is also why I am not a big fan of public opinion. People with less experience or less diverse experience in games typically have more narrow minded opinions.

With regard to fluff, that's with regard to interviews. Any time an interview is conducted in a non-NDA session with press and a developer or product manager it's always fluff. That's why reading a lot of press materials and interviews is useless. This is irrelevant to reviews.

That still doesn't change the fact that everyone who I know who owned a Cube laughed at it and chose to play better single player games at the party and in private playing. Again, personal experience trumps your numbers. Sorry, mate.

All that says is that you spend your time around people who didn't like a game the majority of experienced gamers did. Your friends aren't the consensus of gaming opinion in the world.

Never said their are not innovating,

Yet on page 4 you say regarding Nintendo

I just don't feel they have made any innovations in gaming in the past ten years or so,

That's part of the crux in a nutshell, amigo. Nintendo is so worried about getting that multi-demographic you like so much, that they forgot about the consumers who made them what they were for almost 2 decades.

I don't think it's that Nintendo has forgotten that age group. It's that they want most of their product to appeal to all age groups. And because they don't intentionally pander to the same market (18-30 year old males) as Sony and as a result Microsoft has they are seen as being kiddie.

"Why?" I wondered that fateful day. "Why is Nintendo making a more expensive system in the N64? Well, maybe I'll give it a chance. Hey, wait a minute. What are these games? Yeah, a couple of these are nice to play once or twice, but where is that long term, replayable quality games I'm used to from Nintendo? Well, there seems to be a new Zelda game coming, but that's a few years away. I don't think I want to wait."

When you say a more expensive system more expensive than what? The Playstation or Saturn which were its main competitors? The N64 launced at 199.99 in the US. The same price the Saturn and Playstation had dropped to in 1996.

Edits: Fixed spacing in quotes so you didn't have to scroll down to see where it starts.
Last edited by DragonmasterDan on Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

Nintendo's biggest mistake was not going to CD-ROMs with the N64. As far as I'm concerned, they are still paying the price for it today...just less so.
Vaporized before my eyes

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

I'm not saying just being innovative and new makes a good game. I am saying that making a well designed well playing game makes a good game. Having story as an emphasis can add to the experience but it doesn't make the game.

As you put it, I fundamentally disagree with you.

Every game has some form of a story, some reason the world in which it displays exists. It's where everything starts. It is the sould of a game. Story does make a game, for without it, the game has no reason, no point.

The original first person shooter titles like Wolfenstein, Doom and so on didn't have much of a story. No dialogue between characters, just blast em up action. Were they bad games? No. Did they suffer from not having a story? In my opinion no. Having a story can help a game, I never said that it can't. But it doesn't make a game either, a game without a story depending on the genre doesn't necessarily suffer because it doesn't have any story or a complex story.

But they did have stories? Are you purposely blinding yourself to this fact in order to disprove me? They each had an over riding reason events were happening in the game. One played those games, placing his or herself into the role of the character. One is trying to escape the Nazi stronghold, one is trying to stop demons from destroying everything.

Simple stories they may be, but they are stories. And before someone came up with the story idea, there was nothing to make a game about. You cannot have all your precious gameplay without a story to build it around. It's a fundamental rule of designing anything.

Congragulations, you've made a game where your highly detailed character is running around killing things....but....why is he killing things? What's his goal? Oh it doesn't matter cuz it's just fun to run around aimlessly with no goal killing things.

...gee...wish I had story to go with killing things so I'd have a goal. Too bad, I guess, because we don't need stories to make games work.

Oh well.

The "story" in sports games is not realy a story in the traditional sense. It's taking on something that exists in the real world and allowing you to be in the position of great athletes (or in some games create custom players based on yourself and your friends to compete). When I say story doesn't make a game I mean a story with a real plot. Trying to say that a sports game which basically just uses players based on real life people is a story is kind of ridiculous. I think you are misintepreting my definition of "story".

It's called self imposing oneself into the game. You mean to tell me you've never played a game, any game, and refered to a named main character as yourself when speaking to others or just reacting like "You missed me!" or "That's right, I'm badass!"

It's also called letting go of reality and just enjoying oneself. People like to let go, and think for a while that they are the ones in the game. So, don't call it ridiculous, because then you're calling having fun rediculous.

Not all games begin with a story board, a lot of and in fact most games begin with character design and then move from there. A storyboard again is how you design a story. When say a new Platform game is designed the first thing that is done is design the characters, then the envirionments and move from there on to how the characters will move and then into basic gameplay mechanics. With some genres like RPGs you're right, storyboards are written immediately after character design. But this does not go with most genres of games. Ask any experienced developer.

Well, my statements above pretty much cover how wrong I think you are.

Creativity is what spawns games. True, some technoboy may develope a program, but what is he going to do with that program until someone else in another department comes up with an idea, let's call it um...a story, to create a game with that program.

Those characters you say they will desing. Where do they come from? I think...and hold on I don't want to blow your mind here...I think they come from someone's creative mind who has been asked to come up with a story for the game. These people, oh well let's call them writers and artists for the hell of it, come up with the ideas for these characters.

Storyboards may not exist for all genres, but character creation on paper with an idea in mind has to come before design for the game.

You talk about tunnel vision yet you're basically saying that any game without a compelling story isn't a good game. When you look at puzzle, party, music and many other genres of games they very few of them have anything resembling a "compelling story". Yet they're fun games because they are fun to play.

Once again you put words in my mouth, my friend. I never said that "any game without a compelling story isn't a good game." You once more completely miss my point. I'm saying there are different levels of good games, but games that have it all are the truly great games.

Nintendo can make those games, has made those games, but they do it far too infrequently for many people's tastes or money.

I said SOME Magazines and online publications used as ranked references aren't the most credible with reviews. This is a minority, sites like Yahoo games and newspapers that GameRankings averages the reviews in of quite frankly shouldn't be there as they are not staffed by experienced game journalists. This is also why I am not a big fan of public opinion. People with less experience or less diverse experience in games typically have more narrow minded opinions.

With regard to fluff, that's with regard to interviews. Any time an interview is conducted in a non-NDA session with press and a developer or product manager it's always fluff. That's why reading a lot of press materials and interviews is useless. This is irrelevant to reviews.

I'm not going to even really bother with this.

All I will say is that the reviews are just as crappy as the interviews because these people are all expected to tow the company line, even when it is clear a game is sub-par for the masses.

The public is, by and large, a mass of uninformed people. But when it comes to the people who actually go out, and play the games all the time, I would not call them narrow minded. They have practical experience, which counts a whole hell of a lot more than some twink in an office on a laptop who maybe plays a little bit of each game that comes across a desk.

All that says is that you spend your time around people who didn't like a game the majority of experienced gamers did. Your friends aren't the consensus of gaming opinion in the world.

Hey man, you don't know me or my friends. You have no idea what their gaming experiences are, or anything abou their overall gaming habits.

Don't be stupid and take a crack at people you don't even know. I've used them as practical, physical evidence to bolster my arguement, because IMHO actual gamers have better input on what is good than any of the modes of information you have dropped so far.

Yet on page 4 you say regarding Nintendo

You see, now you're backstroking.

I've already said that comment was about games not hardware, which you so graciously made a point of bringing to my attention earlier. I still do not feel the games themselves are anything spectacular. If I did, I would have bought a Gamecube by now.

I don't think it's that Nintendo has forgotten that age group. It's that they want most of their product to appeal to all age groups. And because they don't intentionally pander to the same market (18-30 year old males) as Sony and as a result Microsoft has they are seen as being kiddie.

It's called loyalty, dude, something you clearly understand since you have not said one negative thing about Nintendo this whole discussion, which I find a glaring hole in your arguement, but that's not a point at the moment.

Nintendo had a track record of being able to please everyone, but they lost that with the N64 because they decided to try and win over a generation of gamers that could not even afford to buy games themselves yet. While doing that they left the previous group swinging in the wind with no pants on.

There is a difference between being kiddie and just being stupid. Nintendo could still be #1 if they had not virtually abandoned their primary source of fans by cutting off basically all 3rd party development, and letting Sony and then Microsoft gobble them up in contracts and deals.

And just as Dawrestla just said, they are still paying for the mistake of the N64 because they were stupid enough to stay cartdrige when they should have gone CD/DVD. It was that reason, their oh so brilliant idea to be innovative one more time with a cartridge based system, that they lost all the 3rd parties, and thus their title as #1.

When you say a more expensive system more expensive than what? The Playstation or Saturn which were its main competitors? The N64 launced at 199.99 in the US. The same price the Saturn and Playstation had dropped to in 1996.

It was more expensive because their cartridges cost more than the CD games of Sony and Sega. In the end, one ends up spending more on a N64 due to the game purchasing. Overall it was more expensive to own a N64 than a PS1 or Saturn.

Damn, I still haven't eaten. Not even crow.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Every game has some form of a story, some reason the world in which it displays exists. It's where everything starts. It is the sould of a game. Story does make a game, for without it, the game has no reason, no point.

Notice how I said "having story as an emphasis".

There are party games, puzzle games and other games without any real story to them. Also when I was saying story I wasn't saying no plot at all. I was saying a story with a reasonable substance like most Action games and RPGs have which is a bit different from say "Aliens are invading blow them up" and that's that.. When I said story I mean it requires actual character dialogue or narration of some type that progresses throughout the game.

There are a lot of great games where the scenerio is thrown together as an after-thought. That's what I am getting at. When I say story I mean a scenerio that continues throughout the course of the game as stated above. Not a small cutscene (if that) or introduction in the "Attract mode" and then some closure at the end.

It's called self imposing oneself into the game. You mean to tell me you've never played a game, any game, and refered to a named main character as yourself when speaking to others or just reacting like "You missed me!" or "That's right, I'm badass!"

It's also called letting go of reality and just enjoying oneself. People like to let go, and think for a while that they are the ones in the game. So, don't call it ridiculous, because then you're calling having fun rediculous.

I'm not arguing that, but playing a basketball season isn't a "story in the sense that I was reffering to" with narration and character dialogue. Announcer commentation from the game doesn't count.

You see, now you're backstroking.

I've already said that comment was about games not hardware, which you so graciously made a point of bringing to my attention earlier. I still do not feel the games themselves are anything spectacular. If I did, I would have bought a Gamecube by now.

My point is innovations in control leads to innovative games. Games Like Nintendogs and WarioWare Touched are innovations by Nintendo made possible by innovations in control. It's innovation.

Well, my statements above pretty much cover how wrong I think you are.

Creativity is what spawns games. True, some technoboy may develope a program, but what is he going to do with that program until someone else in another department comes up with an idea, let's call it um...a story, to create a game with that program.

Those characters you say they will desing. Where do they come from? I think...and hold on I don't want to blow your mind here...I think they come from someone's creative mind who has been asked to come up with a story for the game. These people, oh well let's call them writers and artists for the hell of it, come up with the ideas for these characters.

Often times game characters are created first, someone comes up with a neat idea for a platform game where the character can do "this and this" then the character is designed, a test level is designed to see how the character would function and operate in that world, then once they have decided on the basic game engine the plot of the game is designed. It depends on the type of game but in a lot of cases that's it. All ideas are not stories. As I said your definition of story and mine are different.

Don't be stupid and take a crack at people you don't even know. I've used them as practical, physical evidence to bolster my arguement, because IMHO actual gamers have better input on what is good than any of the modes of information you have dropped so far.

Reviews ARE done by actual gamers, in order to review the game people have to first play the game. And it wasn't a crack at them, but not everyone has the same level of experience in playing games as others. What you're basically saying is anyone including people (who play games for a living ) besides people you know personally's opinion doesn't count,

It's called loyalty, dude, something you clearly understand since you have not said one negative thing about Nintendo this whole discussion, which I find a glaring hole in your arguement, but that's not a point at the moment.

Nintendo had a track record of being able to please everyone, but they lost that with the N64 because they decided to try and win over a generation of gamers that could not even afford to buy games themselves yet. While doing that they left the previous group swinging in the wind with no pants on.

There is a difference between being kiddie and just being stupid. Nintendo could still be #1 if they had not virtually abandoned their primary source of fans by cutting off basically all 3rd party development, and letting Sony and then Microsoft gobble them up in contracts and deals.

Alright, first off I have a LOT of negative things to say about Nintendo, but they aren't relevant to this particular part of the discussion. Among my personal gripes with Nintendo are that the revolution controller makes it exclusive for ports rather than inclusive and I certainly wonder about the amount of important things like sports titles that are to be released for the platform. I also wonder about their continuing decision to avoid traditional media formats for fear of piracy. And I wonder about Nintendo continuing to sell their 1.5 party developers. But again I haven't had any reason to bring them up. I am upset that they are over sequelizing some of their key franchises like Metroid, and Zelda with a string of portable and console releases in the past 5 years rather than releasing the titles fairly far between as so that people didn't get burned out on them. Most importantly Nintendo is not tryng to compete for the most popular system anymore, they have a "let's just make money" mentality rather than a "winner take al mentality" which can cost them market share. I have a lot of negative things to say about Nintendo. But they haven't really been relevant in this discussion. Simply put you have the wrong impresion of my feelings regarding Nintendo.

With regard to Nintendo, they are still trying to please everyone they are making games aimed at ALL audences from kids to adults and making a more concerted effort to do so than Microsoft or Sony.

Also there is lots of third party development for Nintendo's platforms. The largest console publishers in the world have all supported the Game Cube, from EA, Activision, Konami, Capcom and so on down the line. What Nintendo did do was lose market share and is no longer a lot of companies first option in development, As I said before, rather than fight back for that market share Nintendo is more concerned with carving out a profitable piece of the market for themselves.

And I absolutely agree the lack of a CD-ROM or even some other form of optical media was what lost them much of the market share with the N64.

It was more expensive because their cartridges cost more than the CD games of Sony and Sega. In the end, one ends up spending more on a N64 due to the game purchasing. Overall it was more expensive to own a N64 than a PS1 or Saturn.

Well, they were more expensive to produce and at extremes more expensive to buy, but in general in particular at the platforms launch that wasn't the case. The launch N64 games were 49.99 generally, the same price as new Playstation and Saturn titles. Eventually the price for Playstation titles fell to around 39.99 on average and obviously there was an abundence of greatest hit games for 19.99 or less. Sorry to drown you in more technical speak Some of the later N64 games requires more memory on the cartridges and sold for 59.99 (example Zelda). But in general a new N64 game and Playstation game at the time of the systems launch were the same price. Throughout the life of the platforms that changed but not initially.[/quote]

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Okay, as I see it one of your big problems on the whole Nintendo innovation debate is you view creativity as only applying to stories. Inherently, there is not more creativiity in the people who write than the people who design levels and think of new ways to play a game. You appear to be implying that the "technoboy" is just some dime a dozen miscreant while the writer is some noble artist.

Not so. Some stories written in video games are clearly an after thought rather than a work of art. Oh would that I were that man who first wrote, "You are Mario. Jump on enemies. Save the Princess." Such an under-rated genius.

This being said, I still think a good story can redeem bad gameplay that's why I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2 (granted not that great of a story by RPG standard but very good by platformer). Yet I can also play a game with little or no storyline (for example WarioWare) and have an absolute blast.

Well, I have a finite test tomorrow morning. So don't expect me to be responding to this post.[/quote]

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Okay, as I see it one of your big problems on the whole Nintendo innovation debate is you view creativity as only applying to stories. Inherently, there is not more creativiity in the people who write than the people who design levels and think of new ways to play a game. You appear to be implying that the "technoboy" is just some dime a dozen miscreant while the writer is some noble artist.

Oi, what is this? Put words in Roas' mouth day?

I never said any such thing to degrade the programing end of game creation. The programing end is just as creative, but my point is that the whole thing starts with an idea for a game from a writer or an artist (artist as in someone who draws).

Ask a question to clarify before making a statement like that.

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:24 pm Post subject:
Quote: ‹ Select › ‹ Expand ›

Notice how I said "having story as an emphasis".

There are party games, puzzle games and other games without any real story to them. Also when I was saying story I wasn't saying no plot at all. I was saying a story with a reasonable substance like most Action games and RPGs have which is a bit different from say "Aliens are invading blow them up" and that's that.. When I said story I mean it requires actual character dialogue or narration of some type that progresses throughout the game.

There are a lot of great games where the scenerio is thrown together as an after-thought. That's what I am getting at. When I say story I mean a scenerio that continues throughout the course of the game as stated above. Not a small cutscene (if that) or introduction in the "Attract mode" and then some closure at the end.

But do party and puzzle games make a console? Do they attract people, who generally don't play in groups to buy it? I would think not. Nintendo is too worried about pleasing everyone, that they are still ignoring. This is all supporting my point. Yeah, these games may be fun, but you don't go out and buy the console for games like that.

As you have said, we clearly have two totally different definitions of what a story is. What you believe is a requirment is not. A story does not need words, a picture, a scene, anything can tell a story if portrayed the correct way. Dialogue is optional. You need to think outside the box a little and open your mind to possibilities beyond the 1's and 0's.

I'm not arguing that, but playing a basketball season isn't a "story in the sense that I was reffering to" with narration and character dialogue. Announcer commentation from the game doesn't count.

Maybe for you, dude, but not for everyone. For someone who has made it a point to say that a sole opinion does not represent all, that's a loaded statement to make.

I for one have played my epic journies through Season Modes in sports games, some times with Custom Characters. Watching my players via for All Star spots or player awards. To me, that's a great story when we finally get to a playoffs and fight our way to a championship.

But I guess you don't see that.

My point is innovations in control leads to innovative games. Games Like Nintendogs and WarioWare Touched are innovations by Nintendo made possible by innovations in control. It's innovation.

And frankly, that is nothing spectacular. Touch screens existed long before Nintendo put it on their handheld. So Nintendo made half their handheld like a PDA.....sorry but I'm not impressed, let alone sold that scrathing a dog's ear with a plastic pencil is innovation. But that's my opinion, which a good deal of people do share despite the numbers I am sure you'd love to quote me.

Reviews ARE done by actual gamers, in order to review the game people have to first play the game. And it wasn't a crack at them, but not everyone has the same level of experience in playing games as others. What you're basically saying is anyone including people (who play games for a living ) besides people you know personally's opinion doesn't count,

Oi, again with the words in mouth thing.

Did I say that no one else's opinions counted outside that of the people I know?

.....I don't see that.

I simply say that these so called reviewers play around with a bunch of games, many of them outside of genres they do not like or play often, and they make these crappy reviews. EGM is wrought with the worst reviewers in videogame print right now. Ten years ago, they only fielded four reviewers at a time, and each of them had a specialty that they focused on. Now, it's a bunch of poser asses who think they know it all.

That's one of the reasons I don't read EGM anymore. Gameinformer is the only periodical that comes close to not making me sick when I read it.

Alright, first off I have a LOT of negative things to say about Nintendo, but they aren't relevant to this particular part of the discussion. Among my personal gripes with Nintendo are that the revolution controller makes it exclusive for ports rather than inclusive and I certainly wonder about the amount of important things like sports titles that are to be released for the platform. I also wonder about their continuing decision to avoid traditional media formats for fear of piracy. And I wonder about Nintendo continuing to sell their 1.5 party developers. But again I haven't had any reason to bring them up. I am upset that they are over sequelizing some of their key franchises like Metroid, and Zelda with a string of portable and console releases in the past 5 years rather than releasing the titles fairly far between as so that people didn't get burned out on them. Most importantly Nintendo is not tryng to compete for the most popular system anymore, they have a "let's just make money" mentality rather than a "winner take al mentality" which can cost them market share. I have a lot of negative things to say about Nintendo. But they haven't really been relevant in this discussion. Simply put you have the wrong impresion of my feelings regarding Nintendo.

With regard to Nintendo, they are still trying to please everyone they are making games aimed at ALL audences from kids to adults and making a more concerted effort to do so than Microsoft or Sony.

Also there is lots of third party development for Nintendo's platforms. The largest console publishers in the world have all supported the Game Cube, from EA, Activision, Konami, Capcom and so on down the line. What Nintendo did do was lose market share and is no longer a lot of companies first option in development, As I said before, rather than fight back for that market share Nintendo is more concerned with carving out a profitable piece of the market for themselves.

And I absolutely agree the lack of a CD-ROM or even some other form of optical media was what lost them much of the market share with the N64.

Um....what discusion/debate have you been reading?

THAT is the whole point!

Nintendo is and has been doing things just like that for 10 years, and that is why many of us do not trust them. It is actions like this that fuels everything I am talking about. Nintendo is acting irresponsibly for its consumers by handling their promotion and products like a bunch of retarded amateurs.

You can take all the innovation you are so proud of and flush it, because in the end, innovations or not, Nintendo is not trust worthy.

I'd like to add this as I end this post.

Shortly before I checked the forum to respond to this, one of my very good friends from college called me to find out when I would be logging into FF XI tonight.

Now, he owns all three systems (PS2, Cube, Xbox purchased in that order) mentioned in this discussion. So, after a little FF XI shop talk, I asked him about what we have been talking over here.

Me: "Let me ask you something. Do you trust Nintendo?" Asked just like that, no prelude or introduction of opinions yet.

Friend: "No."

Our talk went on, where he said that while his PS2 is his favorite console, he likes his Cube better than his Xbox, but he is disappointed that the Cube has not offered as much as it could have in decent gaming. And no, he is not going to buy a Revolution largely because of this distrust of Nintendo to provide a true wide variety of gaming enjoyment. [/quote]

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

But do party and puzzle games make a console? Do they attract people, who generally don't play in groups to buy it? I would think not. Nintendo is too worried about pleasing everyone, that they are still ignoring. This is all supporting my point. Yeah, these games may be fun, but you don't go out and buy the console for games like that.

As you have said, we clearly have two totally different definitions of what a story is. What you believe is a requirment is not. A story does not need words, a picture, a scene, anything can tell a story if portrayed the correct way. Dialogue is optional. You need to think outside the box a little and open your mind to possibilities beyond the 1's and 0's.

Well, they attract casual and non-gamers which can certainly help make a console. I know many people I've met that became addicted to Super Monkey Ball and ran out and bought that game and at times a system to play it on strictly for that reason. They help, are they killer apps, not usually but they don't hurt and appeal to a more casual group of gamers.

I for one have played my epic journies through Season Modes in sports games, some times with Custom Characters. Watching my players via for All Star spots or player awards. To me, that's a great story when we finally get to a playoffs and fight our way to a championship.

But I guess you don't see that.

As I said, if you apply this idea to everything then any idea has a story. When I say story I mean something assembled as into a game as more of an afterthought as I stated before.. Some games have this, some games don/t.

And frankly, that is nothing spectacular. Touch screens existed long before Nintendo put it on their handheld. So Nintendo made half their handheld like a PDA.....sorry but I'm not impressed, let alone sold that scrathing a dog's ear with a plastic pencil is innovation. But that's my opinion, which a good deal of people do share despite the numbers I am sure you'd love to quote me.

But it's innovation nonetheless which exactly what you said Nintendo hasn't been doing with their software in the past 10 years.

I simply say that these so called reviewers play around with a bunch of games, many of them outside of genres they do not like or play often, and they make these crappy reviews. EGM is wrought with the worst reviewers in videogame print right now. Ten years ago, they only fielded four reviewers at a time, and each of them had a specialty that they focused on. Now, it's a bunch of poser asses who think they know it all.

EGM actually always had more than four reviews, but they were put under only four names. Several people did the reviews for "Ed Semrad" the editor in chief who was too busy to review games for himself for example. Sushi X was several different people over those years as well. A number of reviewers actually had their reviews assembled by several people on the editorial staff who had more time and less responsibiliy.

Nintendo is and has been doing things just like that for 10 years, and that is why many of us do not trust them. It is actions like this that fuels everything I am talking about. Nintendo is acting irresponsibly for its consumers by handling their promotion and products like a bunch of retarded amateurs.

My comments were strictly in regards to your whole argument regarding Nintendo's lack of innovation and your comments regarding the quality of their curent proiducts. I was never arguing that Nintendo isn't going for a less mainstream part of the marketplace. I was arguing that they continue to innovate. This is what I took issue with. I didn't take issue with your assertion that to you and others it is a turn of that Nintendo is targeting everyone rather than targeting 18-30 year old males who are the primary buyers of console games in the current market. I took issue with your statements regarding innovation and the quality of their software.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Well, they attract casual and non-gamers which can certainly help make a console. I know many people I've met that became addicted to Super Monkey Ball and ran out and bought that game and at times a system to play it on strictly for that reason. They help, are they killer apps, not usually but they don't hurt and appeal to a more casual group of gamers.

But casual gamers, and I mean those who only play on special occasions or in these groups, cannot be considered a constant and consistant source of a fanbase. They are not the types to go out and seek new games outside of these "casual genres" they play within their groups. So while they may add something to a profit margin, I would not think they still make a consol successful.

As I said, if you apply this idea to everything then any idea has a story. When I say story I mean something assembled as into a game as more of an afterthought as I stated before.. Some games have this, some games don/t.

Says you, dude. You can't teach the ability to see beyond surfaces to the inner workings of something. Some people have that creative eye that sees wonders in all aspects of gaming and the world, and then there are those that just take things at face value and never try to open their minds to possibilities that don't bite them on the nose.

I would not be so quick as to catagorize everyone into a single perspective that you believe to be the truth. This little point stems to part of my greater arguement, that there are multiple layers to everything, and that if one takes the time to open themselves, they can see it.

Not everything is as black and white as you would like to portray. Shades of gray exist in all aspects.

But it's innovation nonetheless which exactly what you said Nintendo hasn't been doing with their software in the past 10 years

But that is just it. I don't see that as innovation. It's PDA screen? What's so innovative? It's not like they invented the technology? I'm sorry, but there is nothing you can say or do that will convince me that scratching a digital pet with a plastic pencil is anything remotely innovative and groundbreaking. It may be fun for some, but that does not make it innovative.

Fun and innovation are not mutually exclusive. They can coinside on occasion, but, as you like to put it, one does not need the other. So, I would not define something that is a latest hit as innovative just because people enjoy it.

EGM actually always had more than four reviews, but they were put under only four names. Several people did the reviews for "Ed Semrad" the editor in chief who was too busy to review games for himself for example. Sushi X was several different people over those years as well. A number of reviewers actually had their reviews assembled by several people on the editorial staff who had more time and less responsibiliy.

But that does not change the fact that whomever these people were, they were focused on single genres they knew, not reviewing any old game that was thrown in their face. Their points of view may have appeared on all the reviews, but it was always clear who was the expert and who was simply trying to present a quick over view.

Again, your dancing around my points.

My comments were strictly in regards to your whole argument regarding Nintendo's lack of innovation and your comments regarding the quality of their curent proiducts. I was never arguing that Nintendo isn't going for a less mainstream part of the marketplace. I was arguing that they continue to innovate. This is what I took issue with. I didn't take issue with your assertion that to you and others it is a turn of that Nintendo is targeting everyone rather than targeting 18-30 year old males who are the primary buyers of console games in the current market. I took issue with your statements regarding innovation and the quality of their software.

Then why have you been taking on all my points outside the innovation part of the discussion, if all you cared about were my comments on innovation?

That makes no sense.

You made many counter points to my entire arguement, so to say that you didn't present obvious facts that promote why I feel the way I do is a big deal in terms of this discussion. I mean, your whole list supports exactly why I and many others do not trust Nintendo, and do not feel that what they do is innovative at all. To us it feels more like a dodering old coot meandering about trying regain a memory he once lost. Yeah, once in a while he gets his memory back and does something incredible, but then he forgets again and burns the people who love him.

So don't say that it was not something you cared about, when you've been discussing the points with me, taking the opposite view when you yourself had evidence that suports my side.

That's weak, dude.

Turning a blind eye to something does not make it go away. It only makes it loom larger.

Geez, this is getting tiring :P Maybe I should go back to bed?