Korean Lunar Fansite

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Korean Lunar Fansite

Post by Shiva Indis »

It's a rather unimpressive site, but it incorperates an odd yet interesting flash movie. It made a friend of mine cry. :wink:

http://home.cein.or.kr/~chaoss/

There are some cute character icons buried in there too, but they look like they might've been ripped off from another site.

I've been doing some research on the Korean version of Silver Star Story, and I've learned that the names are based on the Japanese version (names are more like Ahres and Killy). I've also learned how to say Blue Star in Korean. :D
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Oh, I remember that animation; I haven't seen it in a while. I don't remember who made it originally.

I'll be interested to hear what you find about the names. I've actually played a little of the Korean SSS, but since I know even less of that language than I do Japanese (as in, none at all) if I attempt Lunar PC again it will probably be with the Japanese one. Trivia bit about the Korean game, of which you're probably already aware: it uses the English songs, although as I recall the voices were dubbed. Vic and Jenny are in the end credits. But what really surprised me is that the US soundtrack is included, though (of course) with different disc art. I was rather disappointed by all this; I would have liked to hear another rendition of the songs.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Yeah, I've seen that animation too, but it's still cool seeing it again. I can't get over how goofy the male cat's mouth looks, haha.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Alunissage wrote:Trivia bit about the Korean game, of which you're probably already aware: it uses the English songs, although as I recall the voices were dubbed. Vic and Jenny are in the end credits. But what really surprised me is that the US soundtrack is included, though (of course) with different disc art. I was rather disappointed by all this; I would have liked to hear another rendition of the songs.

That clears some things up actually, because the fans seem very familiar with the English songs even though the Korean translation is apparently Japanese-based. The dialogue seems too consise to have been based off of WDs translation - WD tends to make things more flowery. But at any rate, I am happy to analyse names. (It'll help me brush up on my phonetics.)

1) Alex. 아레스 (a-re-seu) This is very similar to the Japanese Aresu in pronunciation.
2) Luna. 루나 (ru-na) The odd thing here is that since Korean doesn't mess with the elongated vowels of Japanese, there is no difference between the title of the game and the name Luna. (In Japanese the title is ルナ and the character is ルーナ.)
3) Nall. 나루 (na-ru) Has a different end vowel than the one in Alex's name. This one suggests the pronunciation 'naroo'.
4) Nash. 낫슈 (Nas-syu) Korean syllables can end in consonants, though it's seldom necessary when transliterating from Japanese. In this case, it's being used to achieve the 'ss' double consonant.
5) Jessica. 제시카 (je-si-ka) The Korean 'j' is between 'j' and 'ch', and 'si' is pronounced a bit like the English word 'she'.
6) Mia. 미아 (mi-a) Easy as pie.
7) Kyle. 키리 (ki-ri) Much like the Japanese name, except no elongated final vowel.
8) Ghaleon. 가레온 (ga-re-on) Again, much like the Japanese. They might've done something like 갈레언 (gal-le-eon) if basing it off of the English pronunciation. There must be rules, but I don't know them.
9) Xenobia. 제노비아 (je-no-bi-a) No 'z' sound in Korean!
10) Royce. 로우이스 (ro-u-i-seu) Much like the Japanese.
11) Phacia. 페이시아 (pe-i-si-a) No 'f' sound in Korean!

I would like to see the Korean equivalent names for Dyne, Tempest and Fresca, but I haven't been able to track that information down.
「まあいいけど。」

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

SI, maybe you can go through the Korean versions and mention if there are any significant changes in dialogue?

I've yet to run into anyone who can do that {^^}. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hmmm, I remember that animation very clearly. It's rather old by today's standards of flash movies, but still good nontheless. I just don't remember it being on that particular page, as a matter of fact I remember a completly differnet page than that (with no background with that matter.)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Shiva Indis wrote:I would like to see the Korean equivalent names for Dyne, Tempest and Fresca, but I haven't been able to track that information down.

I was hoping some of that would be in the manual, but I can't help with Fresca and Dyne. However, the character list at the beginning shows Ramus, Laike, Mel, and Quark -- though I can't tell whether he's named or just described. And there's a spell chart at the end which includes Tempest's; I can tell by the number of them and the MP. Might be able to pick out Althena's name if one of Jess's spells includes it, and there's a section on Lunar in the manual as well.

Actually, there's a little blurb on the Four Heroes at the beginning also, and I can pick out Ghaleon's and Mel's names in it, so presumably Dyne and Lemia (who is oddly left out of the character bios) are named in it as well.

I'll see what I can do about transcribing them; I unfortunately don't have a scanner hooked up so it will all have to be by hunt-and-paste, as I do for kanji.

By the way, there are some familiar-looking interviews in the manual. I wonder if the WD one was just translated directly. Though the Q and A section at the end looks more like something I'd see in a Japanese manual...too lazy at the moment to pull the console manuals out and compare, though, and I don't have one for Japanese Lunar PC.

Phyco, the animation was posted several places. The one you're describing might be the original, though.

Edit: I managed to extract the names I mentioned (still no Fresca, though). This involved enabling Korean keyboard input, searching for a chart to indicate how to input said Korean (with quite a few red herrings on how the language was written), and typing what I was seeing in the manual -- and then copy/pasting it into a Japanese-Korean translator to check that I got the right word. This was fine for the names which were next to pictures of the characters, but rather daunting when I was looking through a sea of similar characters trying to extract Dyne's, Althena's, and Lemia's names. I couldn't quite manage to get an isolated Althena, only ones with particles attached. Still, I'm quite pleased with myself.

멜 네 알카크 -- Mel de Alkirk メールのアルカク
레이크 -- Laike レーキ
라무스 -- Ramus ラムス
백룡파이디 -- White Dragon Fidy 白竜 パイデ−
테무진 -- Tempest (Temujin/Temzin) テムジン
알테나의 -- Althena's アルテナの
알테나를 -- Arutena o アルテナを
다인 -- Dain ダイン
레미리아 -- Remilia レミリア

The usual caveats apply with using translators, of course. I figure you can strip the particle out of Althena's name; I couldn't. I was also interested to note that Mel's "de" looks like it was translated rather than transliterated (? can't think what word I want). I did not see Alkirk anywhere in Jessica's bio except as part of Mel's name; I didn't look for any other last names, including Mia's...well, I looked for hers, but I couldn't tell if I was right. It was at this point that I realized that Remilia's name is very easy to pick out in Mia's bio, instead of in an italicized paragraph on the Four Heroes. Oh well.
Last edited by Alunissage on Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Thanks for going to so much effort! (I might've been able to cut it down a little if I hadn't forgotten that I had screenshots with Ramus's name in it.) The Korean -> Japanese translation was clever. There are a few things I want to ask you about too.

멜 네 알카크 -- Mel de Alkirk メールのアルカク

If it was 멜 데 알카크 (mel de al-ka-keu) that would be totally believeable. I'm wondering if you might've miscopied, since 네 (ne) and 데 (de) look very similar. I think I can see how the translator would've come up with "の" there as well, because 네 (ne) is a contraction which means 'yours' (あなた)in Korean.

레이크 -- Laike レーキ

(re-i-keu) The Korean is very straightforward - I just wanted to point out that the Japanese is レイク. Please forgive my nitpicking. :oops:

라무스 -- Ramus ラムス

(ra-mu-seu) This looks just fine.

백룡파이디 -- White Dragon Fidy 白竜 パイデ−

(baeg-ryong pa-i-di) Question: 룡 (ryong) came up in your translator as dragon? I thought dragon was 용 (yong). I can't count out the possiblity that there are variants, though. Maybe I can find it in a screenshot.

테무진 -- Tempest (Temujin/Temzin) テムジン

(te-mu-jin) I really wanted to see this one, because if anything confirms a Japanese-based translation, this would be it. :)

알테나의 -- Althena's アルテナの
알테나를 -- Arutena o アルテナを

(al-te-na) The particular particles here function very, very similarly the ones listed in Japanese, so it's no trouble to pick out which part is the name. The Korean translator's decision to render the name this way is interesting - it suggests an awareness of what the Japanese developers' intent was.

다인 -- Dain ダイン

(da-in) Very straightforward.

레미리아 -- Remilia レミリア

(re-mi-ri-a) Again, very straightforward.
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Shiva Indis wrote:If it was 멜 데 알카크 (mel de al-ka-keu) that would be totally believeable. I'm wondering if you might've miscopied, since 네 (ne) and 데 (de) look very similar. I think I can see how the translator would've come up with "の" there as well, because 네 (ne) is a contraction which means 'yours' (あなた)in Korean.

Yeah, you're right; that was the first one I did and I was still getting used to the alphabet (especially with the font), and then I got thrown off because of the translation being in the ballpark of meaning (reading "de" as "of", I mean).

레이크 -- Laike レーキ

(re-i-keu) The Korean is very straightforward - I just wanted to point out that the Japanese is レイク. Please forgive my nitpicking. :oops:

I actually noticed the difference when I first did the translation, but by the time I was copy/pasting my notes into the post I'd forgotten and wasn't looking closely, being totally distracted by a similar error with Althena's name which turned out to be from getting the wrong Korean symbol as I did with Mel. D'oh. :oops:

(baeg-ryong pa-i-di) Question: 룡 (ryong) came up in your translator as dragon? I thought dragon was 용 (yong). I can't count out the possiblity that there are variants, though. Maybe I can find it in a screenshot.

Yeah, I copy-pasted directly from the translator. The word for dragon you give above is used in the description of him, though. I'll try to remember to scan the page when I'm at work.

(te-mu-jin) I really wanted to see this one, because if anything confirms a Japanese-based translation, this would be it. :)

Yeah, I found that amusing. Presumably Pilya is similar, but I don't think I have an easy way to find out. I assume that there isn't a significance to Temzin vs.Temujin other than using different romanization systems? (As opposed to intending [zi], as Althena intends [th] even though the sound isn't present in Japanese.)

And don't worry about having had Ramus's available; his was easy. It's Dyne's and Remilia's which had me tearing my hair out. ^_^

I pulled out my SSSC manual to compare. The interviews in the Korean one do indeed seem to be lifted directly from the SSSC one, although Iwadare's answer to his first question looks shorter. It also strikes me that there's only one set of lyrics for each song, and I wonder which version was translated. I'm inclined to think the English (which is, after all, the one in the ame), and the apparent rhyme and punctuation also suggest that, but I don't have the Japanese ones handy and might not get much from them anyway. I also took out the PS and Saturn Japanese manuals, but neither has the lyrics. The cast sections in the Korean manual seem to have been taken directly from the Japanese, even the extra bits of colored text on the party members; the section on the Four Heroes is also from there. The same art is used for the characters (though Laike's and Ghaleon's screencaps are flipped), but drawn art is used for Fidy, for some reason. The Q&A is unsurprisingly also directly from the Japanese manual, with the same screenshots.

Sorry, I just find minute version differences interesting. :D Incidentally, I found a little advertisement for the Festa CDs (also the artbook, guide, and perhaps the first novel) in my Saturn manual. Conceivably it could mention whether they'd been broadcast previously or if that was the first release.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Sorry this isn't continuing what you guys are talkin' about, but I just got Korean Lunar for PC xD

Here's a pic with mah new digitaal cameraa xD

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/ ... rfront.jpg

Alex's voice is much too deep in Korean ^^; But it's neat that they still go by the Japanese names, just like you guys mentioned. I wish I could get it to work on my computer so I could actually play it. But getting to watch all the cutscenes in korean was great ^^ Though I must say all of the laughs... are lame. They can't do evil laughs nor can they do hearty laughs very well. Heh... but still awesome just the same.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That's awesome - I haven't known of anyone else who has it. ^_^ What's the flap over the box? I don't think mine has that, unless it's something from inside the box. Don't have it here to look.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Just curious, but where did you find it at PGJ? It's pretty dang rare.
-G1

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

My fiance has a korean friend who recently visited a friend in Korea who had it and said that he was impressed that an american wanted it so he gave it up... at least that's what I was told. Sounds a little silly he'd just give it up like that, but I'm not gonna complain ^^

As for the flap, I'll take a pic when I get home, but I think it's more information about the game. There's also a bunch of writing on the back with screenshots as well. Unfortunately, the CDs don't like to come out or go back into the cover easily so I have to be really careful with it. For being used it's in really excellent condition though. I actually thought it was brand new until I asked my fiance how his friend got it.

Actually, maybe it might be best if I just scan it the outside that way the camera flash won't be an problem.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Alunissage wrote:That's awesome - I haven't known of anyone else who has it. ^_^ What's the flap over the box? I don't think mine has that, unless it's something from inside the box. Don't have it here to look.

There were two packages. From the sound of it Alun has the special edition with WD's extra disks (I know it has the soundtrack at least), and PGJ has the regular edition. Which I suppose is why the publisher went to the trouble of listing the number of disks in the package on the cover. The two versions have quite different package designs, but since I'm just working from scans I hadn't deduced that one of them had a flip cover.
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

There are two packages? Bother, now I'll have to track down the other one. :P The soundtrack is the only inclusion from WD (plus the English songs in the game itself, of course) but there's also a calendar.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Sorry it took me forever, but here are the scans of the Korean Lunar version I have:

Front with Flap Up:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/ ... flapup.jpg

And the back:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/ ... arback.jpg

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Okay, that's definitely different from mine. My copy has the same front cover art, but no flap (and a blurb up in the corner about having the OST), and the back is completely different except for some of the text.

Drat. Do you have any other Korean contacts who might have your version and would be interested in selling it? =)

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Alunissage wrote:Okay, that's definitely different from mine. My copy has the same front cover art, but no flap (and a blurb up in the corner about having the OST), and the back is completely different except for some of the text.

Drat. Do you have any other Korean contacts who might have your version and would be interested in selling it? =)

Sure, I'll ask my fiance and see what he can do. Actually, I had no idea there were two korean versions and he was gloating that he got it for me and then I told him it wasn't the "special edition" and he "grr"ed at me haha. So definitely, I'll ask him the next time he speaks with Joon if they can get another one.

Is there any other Korean Lunar merchandise that anyone knows of? If there is I might as well have them look for it all :)

Thanks a lot!

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That's all I know of, but if you discover the existence of any more, be sure to ask about two of each. ;) Thanks for asking about the PC game!

If you're curious, I bought my Korean Lunar PC directly from Vic, and presumably he had it because of the soundtrack, which is the one in SSSC. I have no idea what the distribution of each version was.