Lunar loveteams

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Blue_Goddess
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar loveteams

Post by Blue_Goddess »

Your favorite loveteam, the better loveteam, and the best loveteam from Lunar 1 or 2!

Mine is the loveteam of Luna and Alex, they were very sweet to each other. even though they quarrel at some parts of the story
---

http://arthemis-pink.deviantart.com

The Goddess Althena created the world of Lunar and She will always be remembered in our hearts.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Well, as a few of you know from either speaking with me or my writing on all fronts, I am somewhat of a hopeless romantic. I believe a good story needs a good romance to make it work.

That being said, as much as I love all the Lunar characters, I never really felt any personal spark when dealing with all the couples. I mean, yes, it's obvious who likes who and to what extent, but as far as romance in a Lunar game goes, I've never felt really reeled in by it. Never got all teary eyed, etc., at touching moments. I think the closest moment I may have come to a sniffle is when Hiro is banging on the outside of Lucia's hybernation crystal, but I still didn't go "aaaawww".

I think it's really hard to do romance well in a videogame. It seems to me that developers would need to take some significant side-plot arcs to develope passionate relationships well, and not just have the sudden "I love you" pop out 3/4's through the game.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Could be worse. Could be like FF8.

"...Whatever." Disc 1
"You are so annoying!" Disc 2
"I love you!" Disc 3
"Let's save the world and be together forever." Disc 4

Back on topic.

Jessica and Kyle was probably the most realistic relationship.
Sadly, much as I understand why Hiro would fight to the death for the divine hottie he met 5 minutes ago, it just isn't plausible.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Keep in mind, Hiro seems to have grown up rather isolated. He lives in the middle of the desert with his grandfather and a flying cat, for cryin' out loud. He's in the middle of nowhere, dreaming of adventure in far-off places. Also, his grandfather is an archeologist, and has thus most likely taught Hiro a certain level of respect for ancient ruins. Sure, he snuck into the Dragon Ruins and stole the Dragon's Eye Jewel, but when Lord Leo comes riding in on a strange steam-powered contraption and threatens to destroy the Blue Spire, it would most likely rub him the wrong way.

Then Lucia shows up. She's probably the first female he's seen in a LONG time, and she comes packaged with a built-in adventure (search for the Goddess!). Plus, he was witness to Zophar and Lucia's conversation at the base of the Blue Spire, and him cursing her soul. So he's going to be inclined to believe what she says about saving the world.

So, he can oppose Lord Leo, side with Lucia, and go on a fantastic adventure; or he can side with Lord Leo, hand over Lucia, and go back to his bored solitary existence in the desert living with his grandfather and a flying cat. Honestly, I'm not shocked at what he chose.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

ilovemyguitar wrote:Keep in mind, Hiro seems to have grown up rather isolated....

I mostly agree with what you're saying, but it still doesn't make the relationship seem that much more plausible. I went into slightly further detail about it in my post here: http://www.lunarthreads.com/viewtopic.php?t=1000

I think the best "loveteam" is Alex and Luna, while my favorite would be Kyle and Jessica. I really love Alex and Luna as a couple, but they seem a little more passive as a couple, compared to Kyle and Jessica at least. I like the sparks between Kyle and Jessica that give it a little more realism, although not TOO much.

I'm not exactly sure how to answer the "better loveteam" aspect of your question though. I guess I would have to say that being that I feel that Alex and Luna are the best, that they are also better than the others. I guess, it's kind of a tie for me when it comes to Alex/Luna and Kyle/Jess.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, I'd go with those two pairs too. One thing to consider is that in both cases they'd known each other for a very long time. I'd also consider Kyle's and Jessica's the most realistic, even if it's hard to see much redeeming in Kyle. Jess has known him for years and knows more than just the drinking, womanizing, not very intelligent exterior. (I'm clearly showing my own bias here, I know; I just can't see taking brawn over brain, so there must be more to Kyle, which does show occasionally). Alex and Luna clearly have a strong bond which is a bit different; it doesn't sound like they ever even considered anyone else. Though I suppose there was enough uncertainty for Luna at least to sing about it.

There aren't a whole lot of other couples, really. Ronfar and Mauri, kind of a might-have-been of Kyle and Jess (except that Ronfar seems more intelligent and perhaps less of a fighter; I don't think Kyle would run away if Jess became evil). Lemina and Ramus? Not really. And there are the two NPC couples in EBC, Kyle and Julia and those weird two from Zulan, I forget the deal with them. Ghaleon and Xenobia? We don't see enough in the actual games to get anything about it, and it seems to be entirely one-sided anyway; Xenobia has some bitter things to say about that in Childhood's End. Miria and Borgan? Nall and Ruby?

Before I played EBC I was kind of hoping that Leo and Jean would end up a couple, as they seemed unresolved when I played EB, but I think it's stronger this way, as both of them need to come to grips with the evils in their pasts before they can move on. They still might not be a bad match, though, after that.

Does anyone see any parallels between Mia and Nash (which I still keep trying to type as Mash and Nia) and Hiro and Lucia? In both cases the girl is completely innocent and unaware while the guy is totally adoring. That's probably about it for similarities, though, as Mia's development is all personal rather than interpersonal.

As a total sidenote, it occurs to me that Vane staying on the ground actually makes a lot more sense in SSSC, since there is not only no Goddess Tower but no Goddess for it to protect and it already served its airbone role of stopping the Grindery. First instance I've noticed of SSSC actually closing a plothole. Too bad Nash says at the end that Vane will again be aloft under Mia's leadership, more or less negating that.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I really don't see Hiro and Lucia's relationship being so similar to Mia and Nash's. Mia and Lucia do have some similarities, but the way Nash and Hiro relate to their love interests are very different. When Hiro first sees Lucia, he does mention that she's the most beautiful girl he's ever seen. And of course, there are several more mentions of his recognizing her as being blindingly beautiful. But aside from these shallow observations (which are fairly normal from any guy his age), he doesn't actually show much genuine romantic interest in Lucia until much later in the game. In the beginning, he seems more interested in the adventure she'll lead him on, than Lucia herself.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Alunissage wrote:Alex and Luna clearly have a strong bond which is a bit different; it doesn't sound like they ever even considered anyone else. Though I suppose there was enough uncertainty for Luna at least to sing about it.

I agree that on some level, Luna and Alex knew they would be together their whole lives. Since they were raised together, this could be a 'does he love romantically, not just familially?' sort of uncertainty.

I like the Ronfar-Mauri couple. I like Ronfar's character, I like Mauri's design, I like the somewhat grown-up feel it has, and I like the angst. The illustration from the 2nd Lunar 2 novel of Ronfar catching Mauri as she collapses is very moving IMO. (The scene in Pentagulia where Mauri's true personality reveals itself just long enough that Ronfar gets suckered in.) Mauri looks tragic; Ronfar looks tortured.

Alunissage wrote:Mash and Nia

Mash and Nia? It could work, since Ausa girls always seem to grow up to be cute (and they have an enduring beauty besides). On the other hand, a lot people seem to think that Mash gives off a slightly gay vibe. :D
「まあいいけど。」

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Does anyone see any parallels between Mia and Nash (which I still keep trying to type as Mash and Nia)

'Cause you've been thinking about Nia from the Vane manga {^^}. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Actually, I think I've been doing that since before I knew about the manga. Though it was usually verbal rather than typed, and of course I've been typing Nia a lot more lately than I usually do. ;)