Silver Star Story being remade for PSP

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Silver Star Story being remade for PSP

Post by ilovemyguitar »

LunarRaptor wrote:I have to say that I'm honestly dubious about the fact that this is being released on the PSP when that system is being outsold by...just about everything. Yeah, way to try to revitalize an old series. Put it on a system that's dying and needs to be put down.

I think the DS would have been a much better outlet for this, overall.

Anyway, I'm still happy to see the series getting an update, even if it means that I have to buy a machine I have never had any interest in before now.
I agree that another DS game probably would have made more sense from our perspective, but I'm wondering if maybe GameArts and Sony are negotiating some sort of brand new full-size Lunar game on the PS3? If they were, Sony would probably want to release a PSP title in the franchise to see how viable the franchise is as a money-maker to their userbase (as opposed to Nintendo's). And again, while another Lunar 1 remake seems tedious, Sony would probably want to be certain that the series itself is viable before they sink money into an expensive all-new PS3 version. (After all, we all know that Lunar: Dragon Song was a terrible game, but there's also the possibility that it might have sold poorly even if it had been a fantastic, top-notch game. It does happen to beloved, well-made cult-classic series. Just look at the Chrono Trigger/Cross. Where the hell is that series now?) Making a hand-held remake of Lunar 1, a game that's got an already well-regarded story and lots of flashy anime sequences already recorded, is the cheapest possible way to create a quality product that can represent the Lunar franchise in the marketplace and see if people are interested.

I realize that a lot of this is conjecture, but to me, all signs here point to Sony and GameArts mulling over a PS3 Lunar game. If Nintendo was willing to create a Wii version there would most likely be another DS game made, rather than a PSP game. (And if Microsoft was considering an XBox 360 version, they would probably do something along the lines of, say, translating Magic School and putting it on XBox Live?)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

The DS may sell better, but why is everyone refere to the PSP as a dead system? Being outsold doesn't mean it isn't doing well. I own one, a friend owns one, another friend owns one, and another, and another. Anyone I know personally who can afford it, has one.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Although I don't own a PSP I am glad they decided to make it for the PSP instead of the DS. Can the DS even do the cutscenes justice?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I doubt it. Granted, those little carts have come a long way, its dubious whether or not Nintendo even has carts large enough to fit the game onto. We are talking about a major port/remake, not a dumbed down port (Lunar Legends). Even if Nintendo has carts large enough to hold all that data, cost is going to factor into production. Larger spaced carts will cost more money, eating into profits.

Now, if it WAS made on the DS on carts large enough, no doubt it would be fine. Even the GBA could play video, and even had full animation cut scenes in some games. The scenes didn't last long and were generally limited to a 30 second intro video or some-such, but it could be done. The DS is far more advanced than the GBA, not to mention I have seen full 3D FPS games played on it with great animation and appeal.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Then how about a Wii release for Harmony, instead. Lunar doesn't have to remain on portables. The Wii could handle the scenes, all the information, and it would sell even better than a DS version.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I would have no objection if SSH was made for the wii. Actually I would prefer a console remake over a portable. Like most of us I am only concerned with the quality of the game. I just hope it sells well. Pycho thanks for the info about the GBA I wasn't aware that it could play video.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Monde, if you want sampled of its video capability (the GBAs), let me know. I was impressed with the GBAs ability, and to this day, it still remains my favorite potable game system (I only play the DS for DS games).

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Phyco that would be sweet.

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

WOOOWWW...I was just doing my weekly check-up on the site...and BAM!!......new game!!! YEEESSSsss...I haven't read any posts on it, but I did read all the news on the main page and it looks to be a great game. I'm really excited about using the original voices used in (SSSC?)! Needless to say, I will be back much, much more often. yessss....
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

NextGen, you do realize that it's only the original Japanese voices that have been confirmed? No word yet on the English voices.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Monde Luna wrote:Phyco that would be sweet.
Ask and you shall receive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTGjUKu-cOE

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

NextGen, you do realize that it's only the original Japanese voices that have been confirmed? No word yet on the English voices.
Let us hope that changes.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray