Another Remake?

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Another Remake?

Post by Ruby »

Sorry if I sound a little bitter. I was just checking out the site on the whim* and I saw the news about the new Lunar remake and, well, don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a new portable Lunar game. I've got nothing against remaking a good game. But four remakes of an RPG in 16 years? I mean, yeah it seems like lots of stuff is getting remade lately but I just find it hard to be excited about a remake of a story I've already read. :/ I mean, darnit, I want to know what happens to Lunar after EB. I want to know if the blue star ever revives, if they ever go back there, how that turns out, something, not see a new completely different team revisit the same title again. :?

Of course, the fact that all the RPGs I've been really into since the PS1 other than one or two have been by western companies might have something to do with my general bitterness in hoping for something new I'll enjoy from Japan.

*Look at my post time. I've noticed those "whims" have a pattern in the times and dates.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Re: Another Remake?

Post by ilovemyguitar »

It still doesn't hold a candle to how many times Final Fantasy has been remade. Including the original NES version, there are nine different versions of it floating around:

NES
MSX2
Enhanced NES re-release (Japan only, slightly enhanced graphics and Final Fantasy 2 is on the cart as well)
Wonderswan Color
Playstation (Final Fantasy Origins)
Game Boy Advance (Dawn of Souls)
PSP
Two different mobile phone versions

In light of this, Lunar 1 getting a fourth version really isn't so bad.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

Not to mention Lunar 1 was/is way better than FF.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That and they are at least giving us more backstory on the Four Heroes from what's been said so far.
-G1

Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Ruby »

Well I suppose more backstory on the four heroes is good. But I mean I wouldn't even know that if you hadn't told me. I see that they're remaking the game and I've already lost interest in it before they talk about it. :(

And for the record I don't buy any of the FF1 remakes either. I mean, hey, remake of FF1 from an 8-bit game to a modern game, I can get behind. But one remake. Once every 20 years or so is all you need, darnit.

alexhiro
Burg Farmer

Post by alexhiro »

I'd like a whole story of 4 heros rather than a more-detailed backstory.

I don't want to believe they make another remake just for retrospect users.

Zalbag
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zalbag »

I think you might be able to play Dyne and Ghaleon is certain scenes. But that's just me saying so :) no official word.
I carry [Dyne's Sword]

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

ilovemyguitar wrote:It still doesn't hold a candle to how many times Final Fantasy has been remade. Including the original NES version, there are nine different versions of it floating around:

NES
MSX2
Enhanced NES re-release (Japan only, slightly enhanced graphics and Final Fantasy 2 is on the cart as well)
Wonderswan Color
Playstation (Final Fantasy Origins)
Game Boy Advance (Dawn of Souls)
PSP
Two different mobile phone versions

In light of this, Lunar 1 getting a fourth version really isn't so bad.
This is very true, but when thinking about it, I really am kind of glad they aren't up to a Lunar XII. lol Like it has been said many times on here before, hopefully this remake will be decent and add to the fan base. With large enough demand, I don't see why we wouldn't start seeing a Lunar 3 or prequel title.

-Shin Otaku III

dragonmaster-Ghaleon
Lann Fisherman

Post by dragonmaster-Ghaleon »

well honestly i just heard about this remake just now on another forum i frequent but i think its kinda cool to get another portable lunar game especially since i haven't had the chance to enjoy the saturn versions of either of them so this might be my chance to kinda see what they were like with the added bonuses of course :D ... though as if i didn't have enough games coming out this year that need to buy :lol:
"truly if there is a god of destiny he is fond of plot twists ..and so am i"

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

With the abomination that Dragon Song was and how small the hardcore fanbase is, I'm happy about them doing ANYTHING Lunar.

Hirohiigo Togashi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Hirohiigo Togashi »

Well after Dragon Song, I'm glad they're doing something to let the non-Lunar community know that that game isn't typical Lunar quality.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Hey, if this game sells by some miracle, we could in for a whole bunch of new fans and if we're really, really lucky, Lunar might make it back to the mainstream.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

LunarRaptor wrote:Hey, if this game sells by some miracle, we could in for a whole bunch of new fans and if we're really, really lucky, Lunar might make it back to the mainstream.
I sometimes post (more lurk) on GameFAQs social boards (I know, I should probably be disinfected before coming back to L-Net), but the Lunar series seems to be pretty mainstream-ish over there. Whenever the series is mentioned, it always has a bunch of people agree that it's a great series, and that the PSX entries in the series are solid classics that anyone who enjoys the genre should play. I don't know how representative that is as far as "mainstream" goes, but it can't hurt.

joker_mausland
Pao Hunter

Post by joker_mausland »

If this succeeds, I hope they will make a lunar 2 eternal blue for the psp, that was my favorite lunar game and I would love to see the sprites in this format.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

A Lunar 2 remake is what I really want as well. And Ruby, stick around yah? It's nice to see all you old-timers returning to post again.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

ilovemyguitar wrote:
I sometimes post (more lurk) on GameFAQs social boards (I know, I should probably be disinfected before coming back to L-Net), but the Lunar series seems to be pretty mainstream-ish over there. Whenever the series is mentioned, it always has a bunch of people agree that it's a great series, and that the PSX entries in the series are solid classics that anyone who enjoys the genre should play. I don't know how representative that is as far as "mainstream" goes, but it can't hurt.
Just mention FFVII and you see just how mainstream Lunar is to that, lol.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

joker_mausland
Pao Hunter

Post by joker_mausland »

I just read the interview with Masato Dobashi on the RPGamer site. It would be really cool if the game had all the old bromides and some new ones too! :D

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Rising from the ashes out of the eternal blue, and all I have to say is WTF!?

This would be an immediate buy just because it's Lunar, however I don't own a PSP and even this won't make me buy one. Yes, I just can't purchase a PSP for one game and I hate handheld systems. I neglect my DS, and like I've said in the past it's ridiculous that the series doesn't get a proper console release.

I really don't want to play another remake unless it's truly "The Silver Star" done even better than the first with a fully orchestrated soundtrack. This just sucks for me, and at the time of Dragon song there was talk of doing a Four Heroes game. Hell, I'd rather that over another remake.

We'll see Lunar 3 in Bizarro World, because we'll all be dead here by the time it's even created.