For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

UMD or Download?

Post by Shin Otaku III »

This question has already been addressed by Sonix:

http://www.lunarthreads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3908

Since there are a few of us that don't have a PSP yet, I was wondering if you guys recommend we wait for the new PSP Go? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSP_GO) I assume post launch (of Go) the prices on the PSP 3000 series will drop, but I was curious just like Sonix: Is Lunar: Silver Star Harmony going to be in UMD format or the new download format for the PSP Go? If we don't know yet would you guys recommend waiting?

Another reason I ask is the projected launch date for the PSP Go is after the projected launch of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Re: UMD or Download?

Post by Sonix »

There better be UMD copies available or... well sadly I won't support GameArts. I absolutely hate DD(to some degree, I have few games on WiiWare and VC, but DD for PSP... no way.)

PSP GO is supposed to be released in October and the US version of SSH will most likely be after that.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

Sonix wrote:PSP GO is supposed to be released in October and the US version of SSH will most likely be after that.
According to the press release by XSEED (http://www.xseedgames.com/news.php?id=64) the release will be Fall 2009. You're right though, it could be anytime in fall. My mistake, for some reason I thought I had read September 2009 somewhere. :o

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

Well fall officially starts on 22 September (I think?) so it has 8 days before PSP GO.

offtopic; is your avatar Guy from Abyss?
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Sony's plans are for all future games to be available both in UMD and digital download format. So it doesn't matter what model PSP you have, you'll be able to play Lunar: SSH.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

You sure about that? Isn't Patapon 2 only availabe in DD? At least in US that is, we have UMD copies here in Europe.

Snipes101
Nanza Bandit

Post by Snipes101 »

Yeah, the LSSH should be in both UMD and DD. Sony makes TWO of everything so you can get it how ever you chose :D

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Sonix wrote:You sure about that? Isn't Patapon 2 only availabe in DD? At least in US that is, we have UMD copies here in Europe.
Patapon 2 was a special one-time-only test case, released only as a digital download in North America to see how viable that format is. They've since announced that they'll be using both formats for all PSP games.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

Ah ok, thats good to hear. How did Patapon 2 do anyway?

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Some titles will be supposedly be released on UMD first then on DD later.

Frankly, I'd suggest a classic PSP just because you're good either way.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I like swag and stuff. This better be UMD.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I'm definitely buying. I don't have the ability to download from gaming things with my internet, so I'm glad Sony is releasing all their future games on both formats. ^_^

If you all are going to buy PSPs, I'd go with the older PSPs. It's better just to buy UMDs (unless you'd rather download stuff). Plus, you can do things with the older PSPs that you can't do with the new ones if you like homebrew stuff.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Dark_Fairy wrote:I'm definitely buying. I don't have the ability to download from gaming things with my internet, so I'm glad Sony is releasing all their future games on both formats. ^_^
Yeah, I'd say that in the US with broadband penetration being so low that releasing a game exclusively on the Internet is a bad idea. The time will probably come someday. I would probably buy it digitally if it had no DRM. You save valuable resources that way.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I wouldn't mind download for the sake of power conservation (I'm sure spinning that little disk is what sucks my battery down so fast). However, my problem is this: 1.) I like swag from Lunar. I could care less about other games though. 2.) I have a movie and three games, so unless sony decides to give me free downloads of all of those, I'm gonna be pissed. So for now, I'll just be staying with my current PSP.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'd be surprised if they didn't offer it on both, considering the new PSP is download-only.

I'm going to try and pick up a used PSP-2000 before I leave. the PSP-3000 has interlacing scanline issues apparently, and there's one place I know I can get a good-quality used 2000 from. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

Sonix wrote:is your avatar Guy from Abyss?
Yes (:
ilovemyguitar wrote:Sony's plans are for all future games to be available both in UMD and digital download format. So it doesn't matter what model PSP you have, you'll be able to play Lunar: SSH.
This sort of nullifies my question. lol I used to work at gamestop, and I still have friends there. The assistant manager that is still there was saying he didn't think they'd continue making UMD's so I really thought they were gonna phase it out. Thanks for the info though! This is great to know! :D
Dark_Fairy wrote:If you all are going to buy PSPs, I'd go with the older PSPs. It's better just to buy UMDs (unless you'd rather download stuff). Plus, you can do things with the older PSPs that you can't do with the new ones if you like homebrew stuff.
This is a great point! I don't know why I didn't think of this! :D