Possibly a limit break system and...?

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Possibly a limit break system and...?

Post by Aaron »

So I was looking over the battle screen shots and noticed that there is a little yellow bar under the characters Names and Hp. Sometimes its filled sometimes its half

Interesting that they are adding a limit system and something akin to Lunar Legends....

ALSO

I thought of something that would be awesome. What if they kept releasing DLC for Lunar? I mean they could add events, and side quests, and items, and weapons. It would be awesome!

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Possibly a limit break system and...?

Post by fates »

I don't like the idea of DLC. They should release the whole product up front...

Honestly, I wish DLC would just stop as a whole.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

fates wrote:I don't like the idea of DLC. They should release the whole product up front...

Except for in Guitar Hero style games.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

So I was looking over the battle screen shots and noticed that there is a little yellow bar under the characters Names and Hp. Sometimes its filled sometimes its half

Interesting that they are adding a limit system and something akin to Lunar Legends....
It could work. I'm looking forward to seeing what that's all about. :) It could also be something else, like a timer that determines when characters attack. In the screenshots I've looked at, you'll notice that characters only move to attack when the bar is filled.

Maybe not. ;)
fates wrote:I don't like the idea of DLC. They should release the whole product up front...

I think, in a traditional storyline RPG, downloadable content isn't very useful. In that sense I agree, it should be released already completed. At the absolute most, there should be only one more area, or a couple of random weapons, goodies that do not disrupt the game balance, like in Skies of Arcadia before they released the Gamecube version. As short as Lunar 1 is, there might not be room.

Where it shines is for more open-ended games, like Fallout 3 or The Sims 3.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

I kind of partially agree with this. Some companies are abusing this method by making people pay extra for stuff that should have been available right from the start when the game was purchased. However, I think in some ways it can work, like in Rock Band...

As for DLC for Lunar, it COULD work. Imagine like 6 months after the release, they release a small extra quest that they didnt finish in time to stick into the game....you wouldn't be interested? I would...
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

DLC could work, but I would not want it to be something major. Some people don't have access to the internet for that sort of thing and wish they could enjoy games without all the extra stuff *coughmecough*. It should all be in the game in the first place.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Well with a PSP hand held I'm sure you could travel somewhere and leech wifi off of like, a coffee house or a university if you needed to download something.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It's a good point, though. You should be able to play the game and feel you have a complete game out of the box.

I did like that Valkyria Chronicles had DLC with some of the events from the perspective of a main character on the other side, though. Even if I haven't actually gotten to see that yet. There's something to be said for side bits (gaidens?) that add depth to the storyline but would mess up the pacing and flow if they were part of the main game. DLC covering, oh, Nash's presumed offscreen interactions with Royce that would be spoilerish if put in the main sequence, or scenes with the Four Heroes. Actually, that might be the best way to show the Four Heroes, since Alex's party's stats and stuff should have no impact on the events of decades previous.

While at first I was thinking that there's no particular reason the things noted above shouldn't just be unlockables if there's content that would be spoilerish to the main game, the advantage of DLC is that it needn't take pre-release development time away from the main game and delay it. What it should NOT do is substitute for a complete-in-itself game to begin with.

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

Yeah, my dislike of DLC stems from the people who do it with content that obviously should have been in the game. For instance, the costumes in Street Fighter 4, alt costumes should always be in a fighting game from the get-go!

I fear it can be used to release an uncompleted product so that people need to pay for the rest whenever they decide to release it.

Now things like Guitar Hero songs? Sure that works.

But even when done "right", I still have objections. I've been an avid PC gamer for a long time, and mods and maps and stuff were always fan generated and always free. I never did like the idea of monetizing everything that made the fandom bustle with creativity.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Alunissage wrote: There's something to be said for side bits (gaidens?) that add depth to the storyline but would mess up the pacing and flow if they were part of the main game. DLC covering, oh, Nash's presumed offscreen interactions with Royce that would be spoilerish if put in the main sequence, or scenes with the Four Heroes.
*coughtempestandfrescacough*

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

Ah I remember Fresca, would be nice to play as her. :D

Hopefully that is part of the "added scenario".

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I still don't understand why they didn't make her playable in SSSC. They even teased it with the three girls all suiting up to head out when the guys return from the Dragon Cave!

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

Alternate universe story branch where Alex/Tempest/etc. get trapped in the dragon cave and you're forced to play Mia, Jessica and Fresca during a rescue mission please. :3

I have no idea how you would go about unlocking such a story branch since Lunar doesn't really give you many options like dialog choices, but I wouldn't mind that kind of addition. I always liked games like that. Depending on your choices, there are several paths from Point A to Point B.

But that is just a daydream, of course.
- Mike