For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: New screens showing 4 heros!

Post by Alunissage »

Alex's green eyes are mentioned in SSSC. Laike notes them:
http://lunar-net.com/sssc/screens/4/ima ... 148.83.jpg

I don't remember whether there's any mention of prophecy associated with them, though. I mean, considering Laike dropped off Luna at Alex's house he may just be determining that Alex is the son of his old friend Noah. There can't be that many people with green eyes in Lunar, or it wouldn't be a notable trait.

Heh, that puts an interesting spin on those EB demo character portraits. Shiva Indis noted that they mostly had green eyes; I wonder if they were considering implying that Alex was their ancestor. Or at least that green eyes helped mark them as heroes.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Alunissage wrote:I wonder if they were considering implying that Alex was their ancestor.
I believe this question came up, and Kei said Alex and Luna had no children.
(Probably for the best, story-line wise.)

...Or are you implying Alex had children through another woman? :o

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Aaron wrote:whoa whoa whoa are you kidding? Dyne looks completely bad ass.
I actually didn't look at him that good. He looks fine now that I've looked at him again. Maybe it's just because I'm used to him looking older is why he looked strange to me at first glance. O_o

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think the aspect of having green eyes had more of a prophetic element in TSS, and it was just an homage done in text in SSSC. I thought Quark was the one that said something like "Ahhh, you have the green eyes" when he first meets Alex in TSS? I just don't remember it being anything of important in SSSC.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Shiva Indis wrote:The article mentions a new location called Leviathan, I assume that's what's in the screens. Wasn't the mazoku ship in the SSS novels called that too?
Oh if that's what it refers to, it'll make me a very happy man... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It's definitely a new location, so if it is the Leviathan that would be even better. What's the deal with the new baddie and only stupid floating heads?

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

I guess I never really looked at Dyne's eyes, but I did always assume he had green eyes because of how Quark addresses Alex. Here's two screens from the SSSC multimedia section, Quark says he has the green eyes, and then says the last time he gazed upon eyes like his was when he met with Dyne. He may just have been referring to his spirit or something like that, but that was the impression I got.

http://lunar-net.com/sssc/screens/4/ima ... 136.36.jpg
http://lunar-net.com/sssc/screens/4/ima ... 136.47.jpg
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon wrote:I guess I never really looked at Dyne's eyes, but I did always assume he had green eyes because of how Quark addresses Alex. Here's two screens from the SSSC multimedia section, Quark says he has the green eyes, and then says the last time he gazed upon eyes like his was when he met with Dyne. He may just have been referring to his spirit or something like that, but that was the impression I got.
Man, talk about ambiguous dialogue.

In the Japanese version, Quark actually doesn't say anything at all about Alex having green eyes in that scene. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

There are other mentions of Dragonmasters having green eyes in Lunar 1 (both versions). Check Lyton in TSS, and I think even Ghaleon says something about it; certainly Daemon says something. But I think that Dragonmasters have green eyes to show that they're separate and chosen. Who knows, maybe the green eyes thing goes away after you are no longer a dragonmaster. This theory adds a strange tinge of destiny to it...

I feel like I should replay SSSC but I think I'm not going to because I think that it would detract from playing SSH cause I would nit-pick all the differences.

***EDIT***

Doesn't the top of wherever they are look like the Mystic Ruins?

Edit 2******

More importantly why hasn't anyone commented on the BROMIDES AT THE BOTTOM?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The bromides aren't anything new; why should we discuss them? Unless they have some actual function that's different from SSS, they're not important.

And no, all dragonmasters do NOT have green eyes. Dyne never has. And even without considering that in the Japanese version of SSS the White Dragon doesn't mention green eyes, Quark's English dialogue doesn't say that Dyne's eyes were green; he says that Alex's eyes remind him of how Dyne looked -- "shining face" is about facial expression, not eye color.

I don't think Shigema ever said anything one way or another about Alex and Luna having children. It's been my own feeling that they did not, which I've expressed here often. But my feelings on it aren't the same as the character designer thinking otherwise in early drafts, hence why I speculated as to possible significance in those EB portraits. And yes, in TSS Alex was definitely foretold -- specifically him -- to have green eyes, which is the reason I also speculated that it could have been intended to indicate being destined to be heroic. But obviously they changed the eye color for the final, so even if either of those ideas had gone into the character design they didn't stay.

My own theory about the prophecy of Alex's green eyes is that Laike started it himself after he dropped off Luna with Alex's parents. :P Of course, in the TSS continuity there was nothing special about Althena's stint as Luna, so she could have selected the family and even the next dragonmaster herself before being reborn and placing herself in Dyne's hands. After all, where else would an actual prophecy come from?

jos24
Student of Vane

Post by jos24 »

already I want to have this game is seen marvelous maybe the history be corrected and enlarged the drawings of the 4 heros are amazing and is seen very well to my if i like dyne draw I suppose that have new music for that part of the game perhaps be a prologue or perhaps in the part where Dyne counts them the history of the 4 heroes and alex becomes dragonmaster again in burg
Attachments
NEW VILLAIN!!!! AND THE FIVE PRINCES
NEW VILLAIN!!!! AND THE FIVE PRINCES
asfeasg.JPG (19.53 KiB) Viewed 17981 times
THE GODDESS ALTHENA AND THE FOUR HEROS!!!
THE GODDESS ALTHENA AND THE FOUR HEROS!!!
dsafgh.JPG (28 KiB) Viewed 17981 times
Althena Bless u

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Is it me, or does Althena look thinner?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I know you're excited, but please, for future reference use spaces and periods between your sentences. :)

phyco, that's just the image formatted that way. Althena has always been thin, but if you go to the original link posted by Nobiyuki you can see the full pages with the pictures.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I am refereing to the link. I know she's always been thin, but she just seems way thinner in the new pictures.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You could say the same thing for all of them really compared to what we've come to know. Perhaps being thinner is supposed to mean younger in the way Kubooka drew them. Even the new Demi-God or whatever he is looks pretty thin. It could just be the style that Toshiyuki Kubooka was going for. I sure as hell wish I could draw characters like he does, because if anything ever happens to him our Lunar is f**ked.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I dunno, I've always liked Funato's art. She designed Royce and Phacia and drew many of the bromides in SSS.

I'm really wondering whether Kubooka did these actual drawings with the character portraits and all, though. There are little things about them that I wouldn't expect him to do, though I can see where many of them have been based on the line drawings in the artbooks.

jos24, you really don't need to attach files to every post. The link is in the thread; we can see it for ourselves.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I have a feeling that Kubooka didn't create the finished pieces we're looking at. The Harmony art doesn't quite seem to jive with what Kubooka's been doing lately in my opinion. At this point all I can add by way of support is that Kubooka is presented on the official site as the original character designer, a distinction that wouldn't need to be made unless someone else was involved.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone here ever thought that Silver Star Story has a Evangelion-like look? I certainly have. I discovered recently (courtesy of Funato's blog) that the key animator (key animator is an important job, sets the look of the finished product in a specific sense) for the cutscenes was Takeshi Honda, who was also doing key animation for Eva right about the same time. I was pretty astonished by how accomplished he is.
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I thought Funato also did something for Eva? Maybe I'm thinking of something else, though; I don't follow anime at all.

The specific thing that made me think that Kubooka wasn't drawing these is the main collage of art with how Alex is holding the sword. The hands just don't look quite right -- mainly Alex's right hand, which seems to be gripping an object much smaller around than the sword itself. The sword also seems wider.

The Legend artwork also seemed to be in a slightly different style, although I think the poster in the Legend guidebook does list Kubooka as the artist. And, of course, the art style changed a bit from TSS to SSS anyway.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Re: New screens showing 4 heros! [SPOILERS]

Post by Silver Phoenix »

What the Hell, now we don't know who's drawing what. It just better look right, and that's all that matters.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: New screens showing 4 heros! [SPOILERS]

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Er, as far as I've seen, the character designer hardly ever does the actual in-game implementation of his/her artwork, so it's not a surprise here. I find it surprising that anyone would've actually thought the in-game portraits were really done by Kubooka to begin with. Typically, you'll find that most things with the popular glossy anime stylings are executed by in-house or subcontracted artists working from the character designs. On the other hand, if it looks like it's done by hand, it's usually the original artist. I'm not familiar enough with Kubooka's style to say exactly how you could tell that it's him, but with someone like Mutsumi Inomata for instance, you'll find that her character art almost always consists of watercolors and and much sketchier line art.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II