Poor Sales in Japan?

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Poor Sales in Japan?

Post by GhaleonOne »

MiaOne wrote:
fates wrote: Me? I'd prefer there be no more Chrono games, Cross was bad (save for the soundtrack).
I don't know, I'm rather enjoying Cross. Then again, I haven't beat it yet. But, it seems to keep things simple without redoing the same old story line. Although it seems every minute it's getting more complex...
Yeah, I like Cross. Nowhere near as much as Trigger, but it had a decent story and a great soundtrack. The visuals were really nice for their time too. What lacked was the characters. They were at a time when lots of characters was supposed to be a good thing, but in most cases, character development ended up lacking because of it. I liked the intertwining it did with Trigger's story, but I was left wanting to know a lot more.
-G1

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Chrono Cross rocked, etc.
GhaleonOne wrote:Though out of all of them, I'm still surprised we've never seen another Chrono game, considering how popular that series is.
It seems to be difficult to see Chrono titles through development. Chrono Brake seems to be a false start on one, and Xenogears definitely is. Almost seems like Resident Evil...
Quark wrote:Exploration is half the fun of a good RPG.
It's a good thing, I'd rather have it that not. A discovery system along the lines of Skies of Arcadia would fit into Lunar rather well, I think.
「まあいいけど。」

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Skies of Arcadia also suffered from redundancy though, and some of those explored items were a complete waste of time or annoyingly hard to find. Random battles certainly didn't help either.

Could you imagine how awesome a new Skies of Arcadia would look on the PS3? All the stuff they could cram into one blu-ray disc with some epic cutscenes. The game really needs to become a series.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

GhaleonOne wrote: Yeah, I like Cross. Nowhere near as much as Trigger, but it had a decent story and a great soundtrack. The visuals were really nice for their time too. What lacked was the characters. They were at a time when lots of characters was supposed to be a good thing, but in most cases, character development ended up lacking because of it. I liked the intertwining it did with Trigger's story, but I was left wanting to know a lot more.
The one thing that's getting to me in Cross is the intro to ALL the battles. It takes too long! But, I would have to agree with the characters thing, I was at first super excited to have all these characters I could get a learn about but it eventually started to stress me out when I knew I had missed an opportunity to GET a certain character and my OCD would kick it and I'd have to take a few shots to calm me down. Hahaha. Anyway...I am really digging the "cross" that it's having with Trigger. No pun intended.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

it's amazing how much more forgiving I am of -Dragon Diamond- sequels than -Dragon Diamond- remakes.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Erasculio
Reza Thief

Post by Erasculio »

Old_School wrote: What I find most disturbing about this trend is that a lot of people are actually starting to prefer things that way. I remember seeing posts on other boards saying things on the line of "exploration only detracts from the stories of rpgs." I believe that a good rpg lets you experience the story, not merely spectate it.
Hey, I still can't understand why people complain about random battles. Sure, if there's one every two steps it becomes annoying, but the same would happen today if the visible enemies filled each map. I really enjoyed all those older games in which you are happily walking and suddenly a strong enemy appears out of nowhere.

Erasculio

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

Yeah, I never had any problems with random battles...unless they happen WAY too often. How is seeing the enemy on the map before you battle it any different? It seems people don't like to fight in RPG's anymore.

On another note, I wonder why more RPG's haven't used Chrono Triggers seamless jump into battle.

StrawberryFlower
Lyton Singer

Post by StrawberryFlower »

whitedragon_nall wrote:Yeah, I never had any problems with random battles...unless they happen WAY too often. How is seeing the enemy on the map before you battle it any different? It seems people don't like to fight in RPG's anymore.

On another note, I wonder why more RPG's haven't used Chrono Triggers seamless jump into battle.
I thought it was pretty cool with how they seamlessly jumped into battle. It almost makes me want to put that in my game, but I dunno if I can. O.o

I usually don't have a problem with random battles, but sometimes they prevent me from exploring if I'm dying. If I know I cleared out a room or dungeon of monsters, I can feel relieved about living and I will explore that part of the area. :3
^Check out our stuff and join our site! :3

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

If you hate random battles... don't try playing FF1 or 2. :lol:

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

whitedragon_nall wrote: How is seeing the enemy on the map before you battle it any different? It seems people don't like to fight in RPG's anymore.
There are a number of differences. In a system where enemies are visible on the map, the way in which an encounter is initiated may have an effect on the battle itself. For instance, in the Grandia series, sneaking up on an enemy gives your party the initiative while the enemies get the initiative when they ambush you. As another example, in Growlanser the starting positions of your party members and of the enemies in battle are given by where everyone was when the combat was initiated. There are other ways in which having visible vs. random encounters can effect a game, but this is the one that immediately comes to my mind.

StrawberryFlower
Lyton Singer

Post by StrawberryFlower »

I played them both, and the battles there actually annoyed me because of I remember I was always on the edge of death. :(
^Check out our stuff and join our site! :3

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

Imperial Knight wrote: There are a number of differences. In a system where enemies are visible on the map, the way in which an encounter is initiated may have an effect on the battle itself. For instance, in the Grandia series, sneaking up on an enemy gives your party the initiative while the enemies get the initiative when they ambush you. As another example, in Growlanser the starting positions of your party members and of the enemies in battle are given by where everyone was when the combat was initiated. There are other ways in which having visible vs. random encounters can effect a game, but this is the one that immediately comes to my mind.
Oh yeah...that's right IK. I can't believe I forgot about that. That does make more sense than the random "back attacks" and "preemptive strikes" we get from random battles. I, personally, have always been more of a fan of seeing the enemies on the map...but random battles are fine too.
StrawberryFlower wrote: I usually don't have a problem with random battles, but sometimes they prevent me from exploring if I'm dying. If I know I cleared out a room or dungeon of monsters, I can feel relieved about living and I will explore that part of the area. :3
Hmm, I've never thought of it that way before....thats a good point though. Maybe seeing the enemies actually encourages exploration while random battles take it away?

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think random battles were always for the shock (or annoyance) value. It's like here I am walking, and then oh no! I think Grandia has the best use of visible enemies. Final Fantasy XIII seems to have way too many at some points.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

fates wrote:If you hate random battles... don't try playing FF1 or 2. :lol:
Three words:
Hall of Giants

But yeah, there's a reason (many, actually), why FF1 is my benchmark "4/10" on my grading scale. Or 3/10... ...I think I need to revise it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

StrawberryFlower wrote: I usually don't have a problem with random battles, but sometimes they prevent me from exploring if I'm dying. If I know I cleared out a room or dungeon of monsters, I can feel relieved about living and I will explore that part of the area. :3
YES!! I agree! Though I do sometimes miss running circles in place when I need to level up verses FINDING monsters to battle.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...