January interview with Iwadare

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

January interview with Iwadare

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

So, there was recently an interview with Iwadare about the extensive work he's done over the past year, and there's a brief mention of Silver Star Harmony.
Interview wrote:Chris: For the PSP's Lunar: Harmony of the Silver Star, you re-arranged and re-recorded all the music from Lunar: The Silver Star. How did you remake this classic score for the new generation and how does the music compare with previous adaptations? What highlights should listeners expect from the vocal and instrumental themes?

Noriyuki Iwadare: First of all, Lunar: Harmony of the Silver Star features the music from Lunar: Silver Star Story, not Lunar: The Silver Star. Even though they are kind of similar, they have different game scenarios and music.

Well, it is true that we re-arranged and re-recorded the music from such an old game from over 10 years ago. First I started considering how I was going to arrange the music. The original music was made for built-in sounds, so the task was to not change the impressions the pieces create, but to enrich their quality.

Then for the recording, I tried to record as many instruments on my own due to the lower budget limit. I bought and practiced the ocarina, recorded the guitar and trombone, and whatnot. I did my best to do whatever I could do to improve the quality of the music. For the North American version, we also re-arranged and re-recorded the music for the cutscenes, so please check that out.
This also seems to indicate that Iwadare himself is handling the re-recorded audio for the cutscenes, perhaps Luna's voice notwithstanding. No idea there. But regardless, it's nice to know that he's the one patching up the audio and presumably the one playing the ocarina for it.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: January interview with Iwadare

Post by Kizyr »

Iwadare being the one to play the ocarina on the soundtrack is something that was confirmed in several of the magazine articles from last year on SSH. The rest of it is interesting news, however. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

I knew he'd played it for the soundtrack, but my point is that this seems to indicate that he also played it for the re-recording of the cutscene with Luna at the spring, which I felt was unfairly maligned around here as being amateurish. I think it sounds more natural.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Very cool, now I'm looking forward to changes further in the game. (New Dark Songstress song, plz!) I wonder why Xseed hasn't mentioned anything about this directly? Too easily subsumed into the generally remastered audio category, perhaps?
「まあいいけど。」

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Shiva Indis wrote:(New Dark Songstress song, plz!)
Definitely agree on the background, at least. I want real organ. XD

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Lunar Eclipse wrote:I knew he'd played it for the soundtrack, but my point is that this seems to indicate that he also played it for the re-recording of the cutscene with Luna at the spring, which I felt was unfairly maligned around here as being amateurish. I think it sounds more natural.
Er, it was the US demo version that was maligned as being amateurish. XSeed actually changed that bit. The original sounds quite normal. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Eh, yes. What I'm saying is that Iwadare seems to indicate that he's doing the revamped music for the North American cutscenes when he says, "For the North American version, we also re-arranged and re-recorded the music for the cutscenes, so please check that out."

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Yeah, so quit complaining about what HE did to the off-key ocarina!! It's very interesting that he went and changed some things for the NA release. Verrrrry interesting, and I wonder how it's different. Maybe the music was changed to fit some of the vocals or who knows?

I like how he pointed out that this is not re-arranging of the TSS masterpiece. I wonder what people would say if the TSS music had been reworked and put into this game. They'd all complain that the caca SSSC soundtrack wasn't in the game. There's only a few really worthwhile songs from it, but at least the music is even better now.

On a side note, even with an even smaller budget he's done an even better job with the music. Now he needs to fully orchestrate Lunar 3, or someone is losing his balls.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

Reading throught that Interview, Grandia Online is out already?
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

That's the first time I saw anything about it being released. Is it on consoles or PC? I don't know if I'd be into it as I much rather prefer a series continuation, and not an MMORPG. If they aren't going to make a numbered game they should at least remake Grandia.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Grandia Online has been out in Japan for some time. The soundtrack is out as well.
-Nobi

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I don't know if I'd want the soundtrack without having played the game. Is it good, or are you just making a point?

Final Night
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Final Night »

Silver Phoenix wrote:That's the first time I saw anything about it being released. Is it on consoles or PC? I don't know if I'd be into it as I much rather prefer a series continuation, and not an MMORPG. If they aren't going to make a numbered game they should at least remake Grandia.
I agree on the Grandia remake. I missed that one (I've only played the second, heard mixed reviews on the 3rd).

As for the Iwadare interview, even if you don't like how the details are being handled, you can't deny that they're being considered and given attention (on the Japanese and US ends).
† Final Night †

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I don't remember ever hearing about Iwadare reworking music for the American versions of the Lunar games before, so perhaps it's XSEED going the extra step to make sure there is strong collaboration between East and West?

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Silver Phoenix wrote:If they aren't going to make a numbered game they should at least remake Grandia.
Seconded.

That said, Grandia Online is one of the very, very few MMOs I'm actually interested in. I hope someone localizes it. Especially since Iwadare did the music.

Interesting interview. I had no idea he did a couple of the Growlanser games.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Vyse of Arcadia wrote: Interesting interview. I had no idea he did a couple of the Growlanser games.
IIRC, he only did the music for the first Growlanser. Since then there's been something of a revolving door of composers doing the music for the series. Iwadare also did much of the music for the Langrisser games (which was Career Soft's main series prior to Growlanser).

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Imperial Knight wrote:
Vyse of Arcadia wrote: Interesting interview. I had no idea he did a couple of the Growlanser games.
IIRC, he only did the music for the first Growlanser. Since then there's been something of a revolving door of composers doing the music for the series. Iwadare also did much of the music for the Langrisser games (which was Career Soft's main series prior to Growlanser).
The Source of All Knowledge says he also did Growlanser II.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but is the Langrisser series worth looking into? I've heard it's the inspiration for Battle for Wesnoth, and BfW is awesome.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Lunar Eclipse wrote:Eh, yes. What I'm saying is that Iwadare seems to indicate that he's doing the revamped music for the North American cutscenes when he says, "For the North American version, we also re-arranged and re-recorded the music for the cutscenes, so please check that out."
Oh snap, I totally overlooked that!

Wow. That is news. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It would be nice to have audio/video comparisons to see the changes in the music between the American and the Japanese release. All we have right now is the opening music in the game and the extended on XSEED's site, as well as the Burg Springs cutscene.

I wonder if Iwadare also provided the ocarina samples on XSEED's official L:SSH site when you select a category?
Last edited by Silver Phoenix on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Vyse of Arcadia wrote:
Imperial Knight wrote:
The Source of All Knowledge says he also did Growlanser II.
Which is why considering Wikipedia a definitive source is a mistake -- such as in this case, where its information is wrong. The guy posting above you with the Growlanser character as his avatar is rather more likely to be correct.

Edit: You could also try looking at Iwadare's official site for this information: http://iwadare.cocoebiz.com/?display=si ... &parent=17