Played the Demo

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, the PSP remake of Lunar 1
DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Played the Demo

Post by DevNall »

Silver Phoenix wrote:He has BALLS now, and hasn't been taken to the pitch shift vet of death to get them cut off.
I don't know, I'm pretty sure he had balls before.
Vyse of Arcadia wrote:For another, I bet they're on the UMD with some kind of lossy codec.
This is correct.
ShindoW wrote:In regards to a Lunar sequel: I've always wanted to see what they would do with a cute flying blue dragon. I wonder what ability it would have... Sleep maybe? Isn't the Blue Dragon the snoozy one? XD
He's the overly talkative one.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Silver Phoenix wrote:It's considered advertising, and unless said company allows you to mention their product they will demand compensation or retraction.
"I can't believe it! Those bastards at Working Designs mentioned our product in a positive light in an unimportant and semi-humorous pop culture reference!" "Don't worry, we're suing them so far under the table that they'll be paying up in China."

There's defending your product from slander (or is it libel?), and then there's being a jerk. Most companies are the latter, and I believe strongly that something needs to be done about it. Like it or not, plenty of corporations have contributed to our culture, and allowing them to keep a stranglehold on it can't be good.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I thought as long as the products weren't portrayed in a negative way it was fair use, -free promotion even. Maybe companies just don't sue under those circumstances, or they weigh which would get them more money: suing for using their product without consent, or the revenue generated through the free promotion.

There was a special where Seth McFarlane was talking about using characters and brands in Family Guy pop culture references (it might have been that 100th episode one, I don't remember)
and he said that in the beginning he was really cautious because he didn't want to get sued. Then after not being sued he gradually started to make fun of more and more pop culture brands/characters to the point where that's a huge part of Family Guy. The fact that Fox can probably afford great lawyers can't hurt either...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

It's a very arbitrary system. If whoever is in charge of PR feels like it, they send a Cease and Desist letter. As long as it doesn't directly threaten legal action (indirect and implicit threats are totally okay though!) then they're in the clear.

Fair Use can get a bit complex, but just casually mentioning it on a commercial product doesn't inherently make it fall within Fair Use. Still makes it a pretty stupid move to go around arbitrarily sending C&D letters everywhere though. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I think the next batch of baby dragons should be twins. Black and Blue dragons. We could always have a baby Star Dragon, and he would be green.
The reason why they haven't gone there is because the baby Blue Dragon is a flying salamander. Black Dragon is a tiny winged goat. Just not as cute as the kitty ones.

Baby Star Dragon is Clint Eastwood.
「まあいいけど。」

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Baby Star Dragon is Clint Eastwood.
Eww, no way! I wonder if they'd bring back the Phantom Sentry if they remade Eternal Blue again. They will call it "Lunar:Eternal Blue Balls."