I emailed SoMoGa

For discussion of the iOS platform version of Lunar.
Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

I emailed SoMoGa

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

I emailed SoMoGa awhile ago, asking about why there was no option to use the 1999 dub for Lunar SSST, why the FMV colors looks washed out compared to the Windows 9x version of SSS, and why the Wheaties jokes was edited out in the beginning. They answered the first two:
IMG_1803.jpg
IMG_1803.jpg (354.78 KiB) Viewed 49022 times

Omegazero108
Nanza Bandit

Re: I emailed SoMoGa

Post by Omegazero108 »

So this'd explain the sort of composite feeling SSST has from looking at it; They couldn't get the original audio, so they combined Silver Star Story's visuals with the newer script and voices of Silver Star Harmony

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Omegazero108 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:06 am So this'd explain the sort of composite feeling SSST has from looking at it; They couldn't get the original audio, so they combined Silver Star Story's visuals with the newer script and voices of Silver Star Harmony
The voices are from the XSEED PSP remake, but the script is taken mostly from the Working Designs PS1 release. However, they edited it a bit as seen here. I'm not sure about later jokes, but I haven't felt a desire to keep playing it after this lol:
Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 7.37.29 PM v2.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 7.37.29 PM v2.png (822.74 KiB) Viewed 48991 times

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

They probably were concerned about using trademarked names. I remember TSS explicitly mentioned the trademark in the credits.

Seriously, they've put so much work into this release and you're complaining about one word making you not want to play? This is the sort of thing that gives fans a bad name. There are certainly things in the WD script that haven't aged well and SHOULD go; I wouldn't put the Wheaties joke in that category myself, but I would rather not have legal hassles getting the only currently available version of the game pulled.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Alunissage wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:18 pm They probably were concerned about using trademarked names. I remember TSS explicitly mentioned the trademark in the credits.

Seriously, they've put so much work into this release and you're complaining about one word making you not want to play? This is the sort of thing that gives fans a bad name. There are certainly things in the WD script that haven't aged well and SHOULD go; I wouldn't put the Wheaties joke in that category myself, but I would rather not have legal hassles getting the only currently available version of the game pulled.
What the hell is your problem? I'm allowed to like what I like. My dislike doesn't hinder your playthrough. This isn't the first time you've randomly snapped at me either. These forums are almost dead anyway, so I think I'll leave now.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It's the idea that the entire game isn't worth playing because one line was altered. It's an issue I have with fandom in general, not Lunar-specific, and really rubs me the wrong way. It particularly bothers me in this case because SoMoGa has done so much to put in things for longtime fans with the constraints they have (such as not having the rights to the SSSC audio), but no, the whole game is invalidated because a thirty-year-old joke isn't there. They corrected some typos and fixed a couple of spoilers too, is that a problem?

You're allowed to like what you like, and I'm allowed to express incredulity and dismay at your phrasing.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

That's a pretty clear answer on the first two questions, anyway. Thanks for sharing!
Shinto-Cetra wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:54 am
Alunissage wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:18 pm They probably were concerned about using trademarked names. I remember TSS explicitly mentioned the trademark in the credits.

What the hell is your problem? I'm allowed to like what I like. My dislike doesn't hinder your playthrough. This isn't the first time you've randomly snapped at me either. These forums are almost dead anyway, so I think I'll leave now.
I would ask why the one line particularly dissuades you. If the translation is changed up some from the Working Designs version, wouldn't there possibly be places where the translation was better? Or at least good points for comparison for a die-hard fan to learn more by comparing choices like these? I guess what Alunissage reacts to - and what I am too - is the notion of not giving this version a chance because of a gut reaction at the very start to breakfast instead of Wheaties.

I get the gut reaction to something different from what's familiar. But after having a little time to process that, why not continue? You seem to have a good grasp of the script, so your perspective on the other changes would be interesting.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Omegazero108
Nanza Bandit

Post by Omegazero108 »

He's left the board unfortunately x.x I'll respect the matter of why as something for them alone, but I saw them say in another Discord that they were done with the forum

BookishBaubyl
Burg Farmer

Post by BookishBaubyl »

Lucky that you got a response! I'm jealous, they've never responded to me lol.

Any chance you could ask about a Switch port? Or Eternal Blue? We need more of these games on modern platforms, and these folks are the only ones carrying the Lunar torch!

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

BookishBaubyl wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:59 pm Lucky that you got a response! I'm jealous, they've never responded to me lol.
Did you just ask about Eternal Blue, or did you have questions/issues/.etc specifically about SSST?