Working Designs is no more

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Roas Atrades »

drumlord wrote:I'm not calling you pompous or elitist, but the fact that you took that from my post should be indication enough as to why people took your post as preaching what people should think.

And I think most of us are well aware of business and how business works. If a business goes into the red for too long, it dies. We don't need a lesson on simple economics. If somebody posted that a famous person died, would you come on to talk about how humans only have a limited lifespan and that the human body is frail and many things can kill it? Probably not.

I know you aren't pompous and arrogant. But your posts were clearly a bit too preachy for some of us here. If there's any forum besides WD's own that is filled with people who have strong feelings about WD's games, it's this one. That's why your posts come off bad here.

Well, I'm not trying to be preachy, heh. And I'd certainly never try to teach economics, since I nearly failed the last course of it I took. I was just trying to express something, nothing more. If it came off like I was soap boxing, that's unfortunate, since I was only trying to make a point I thought could be made.

My own economic hardships over the years have made me tackle things with realistic views that may come off as blunt and overbearing. When I deal with a subject, I tend to break it down to a base level, and I tend to pretty much be blatent with my views and not layer them too much, heh.

Perhaps my blunt way of speaking came off wrong in this emotional moment for some of you, but I was only trying move the grieving process along using a realism pov that I saw. I'll tone it down if you want, but perhaps we should take a collective breath :D

I know that I'm still, despite my long standing community wide status, pretty much renting space around here, that I haven't earned a right to stake any sort of claim of ownership in these boards as of yet. I understand that because of this I may ruffle feathers, since I guess I can still be perceived as a newb in these forums, a newb that still doesn't understand some of the boundaries.

But if I am going to be put back in line when I inadvertantly step on a toe, I'll probably react better if I'm simply told instead of being blown up at. I like it here, I've enjoyed myself (mostly) in the discussions with a lot of you because this is a forum built on the love of an incredible series that we have all dedicated copious amounts of time to. I don't think that should be forgotten just because one of us gets pissed at another over some stupid words.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

wisequark
Decrepit Old Dragon

Post by wisequark »

Ok guys, calm it down a bit. Enough fights started because WD existed, can we please try and not have one develop as a result of their demise?

I'd say that a fair number of people associated with this board have had dealings with WD. Most of the more senior members have had communication with Vic in the past on a number of occasions and - as Mickey said - this site wouldn't exist without his support of it.

Having said that, everyone needs to calm down a little and accept the fact that while no one has the right to tell someone how to react, no one has the right to tell a person that they can't tell someone not to tell someone how to react or to call them elitist. I'm not officially a board moderator here but I will step in at this point and tell everyone involved in this to back off and not have the day wd said its last goodbyes be the day the lunar-net community fell apart. None of you guys are new to this game, most of you have been around for just as long if not longer than I have. This thread is meant to remember and reflect upon working designs, not to have a private pissing contest. If you want to slap each other around verbally take it up on aim.

that's my $0.02

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Worst part about no more WD is that Dragon Song may never get fixed correctly now. Oh well.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

wisequark wrote:Ok guys, calm it down a bit. Enough fights started because WD existed, can we please try and not have one develop as a result of their demise?

I'd say that a fair number of people associated with this board have had dealings with WD. Most of the more senior members have had communication with Vic in the past on a number of occasions and - as Mickey said - this site wouldn't exist without his support of it.

Having said that, everyone needs to calm down a little and accept the fact that while no one has the right to tell someone how to react, no one has the right to tell a person that they can't tell someone not to tell someone how to react or to call them elitist. I'm not officially a board moderator here but I will step in at this point and tell everyone involved in this to back off and not have the day wd said its last goodbyes be the day the lunar-net community fell apart. None of you guys are new to this game, most of you have been around for just as long if not longer than I have. This thread is meant to remember and reflect upon working designs, not to have a private pissing contest. If you want to slap each other around verbally take it up on aim.

that's my $0.02

My fly's zipped up :D

Drum made his point clear in his second post, and I understood.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

wisequark wrote:that's my $0.02

Cheapo. I saw that Powerbook, Powermac, and apple cinema display. You can afford more than 2 cents, so pony up!
-Rich-

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

RIP, Working Designs. To this date, Working Designs' Lunar translations are the only English-language RPG's I will play through happily, and with good reason: their translations are still the only in the business to capture the sparkle and emotion of the original products that are translated, and I do love how they were such a fan-based company. When I bought Lunar~Eternal Blue on Sega CD in middle school instead of getting Chrono Trigger as my first RPG (got it later anyway), it was my first RPG and my first glimpse of what a moving and life-changing story could be held inside of a simple little video game, and Working Designs' superior translations made sure that this point wasn't lost among the garbled English that was (and is still) common in the foreign market. Farewell, good friends!

見ているのか、友よ。我らの子供はゆくぞ。 - ガレオン

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think as the sovereign members of the longstanding Lunar community we should get some backing to translate future Lunar titles. Otherwise they'll never be considered the stellar games they were meant to be. :P

Of course if the progression of the series follows the bastard child Dragon Song, there will be no hope.

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

I just found out today...I'm in shock and sick at heart. I don't even know what to say...RIP Working Designs, we'll never forget what you've done.

:cry:

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

So much for the Lunar 3 that they were hinting at for decades. :x

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Ugh, I'm gonna slap some of you. GameArts = Lunar, Working Designs = U.S. publisher/translation. It's up to GameArts whether or not we see the series continued. There are always other companies willing to localize Japanese games.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Ugh, I'm gonna slap some of you. GameArts = Lunar, Working Designs = U.S. publisher/translation. It's up to GameArts whether or not we see the series continued. There are always other companies willing to localize Japanese games.

Agreed, and it looks like Game Arts is pretty close with Ubisoft. While Ubisoft has been hit-or-miss with its translations, they aren't too bad. Now, if Lunar 3 happens to bring back any classic Lunar characters (Ghaleon, etc.), it would be nice if Ubi called up Vic and maybe got a few of WD's voice actors back to reprise their roles...
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Not sure it would happen. And I'm not even sure UbiSoft would do another Lunar, considering the extremely lackluster Lunar DS sales. My guess is that if there's another Lunar title, someone else will pick it up over here. I just don't see a big company like UbiSoft investing in another Lunar game after the disappointment DS turned out to be for them.
-G1

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

GhaleonOne wrote:Not sure it would happen. And I'm not even sure UbiSoft would do another Lunar, considering the extremely lackluster Lunar DS sales. My guess is that if there's another Lunar title, someone else will pick it up over here. I just don't see a big company like UbiSoft investing in another Lunar game after the disappointment DS turned out to be for them.

Well, you do have a point there. One other interesting thing to note is that apparently GameArts and Square-Enix have become very chummy as of late (did Square buy out GameArts or something? I don't know the details). Square-Enix is handling Grandia III, for example. Perhaps they would be the ones to do a future Lunar?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

GameFAQs is doing WD polls on their site right now. It's rather pathetic... the current one is: "What Working Designs title did you most enjoy?". The current leader? "Never heard of any of those" with over 50% of the votes. I hate GameFAQs.
-G1

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

The average person who participates in anything on GameFAQs other than FAQ authorship is a moron. Just read their forums and you'll see what I mean.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

There's a few decent folks, but that's like... probably 5% of the population. Otherwise, it's completely infested with idiots.
-G1

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

I have to agree with you. I'm a member of their forums and it seems that the people there were living under a rock if they never heard of Working Designs or LUNAR...Bakas...

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Don't let it get to you G1. Kids always pick the "funniest" answer on these polls. Most people that played those games are older and moved on anyway and arn't here to vote.

My take on all this is just another sign that my childhood is over and time to become old. I'm almost 26 and havn't even touched an RPG in about 3 years... Somone give me a hug I'm feeling vunerable right now. :cry:

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

...Don't worry about it. You've got your enitre life ahead of you.

Wolfman_Samurai
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Wolfman_Samurai »

I'm just doing my best to ignore this. I kinda don't wanna think about the future without WD or Lunar. Heck no more gems like Vangard Bandits, Alundra, or any future Lunar... this sucks. I remember getting pretty psyced when I heard about a new Goemon game. I loved them even with the crappy Americanizations. I still have copy of "Legend of the Mystical Ninja" for the SNES. I admit that with a start like that it is hard to be a fan. Then I heard about WD getting the rights to the new game and was so happy to know that I had fellow fans. Thats what WD ment to me.

Working Designs was not a business. They weren't in the game to make money. They were a group of fans taking great games and keeping them great for fellow gamers. Thats want they ment to me. They were my comrades, my peers, my friends. The end of Working Designs means that another company that actually cared about there product has closed shop.