Let it snow let it snow let it snow

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Let it snow let it snow let it snow

Post by phyco126 »

W00t! We've been decleared a state of emergency! Though I swear this blizzard is nothing compared to the one earlier the other month, or the one in 1997, but that's just my opinion. Denver got hit pretty bad though, and Colorado Springs was a ghost town.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16298482/

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I live in Florida. I don't have to shovel rain.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, the foothills and high plains are getting nailed, and somehow it's supposed to completely miss us. 100 miles west of here and they're getting freezing rain and snow, and it's nice and sunny here and staying that way. I wanted a white Christmas.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

If Colorado does what it usually does, all the snow we have been getting for the past two days will be completely melted just in time for Christmas. *sigh*

It's still snowing, but it looks to stop in an hour or two. Also, the snow drifts, I love those things. On one side of our house there is a few feet worth of snow. On the other side is about half an inch, haha. Still, Denver got hit far worse, and while we got hit pretty bad, I still say the snow storm we had a month or two ago was a bit worse (a few feet of HEAVY wet snow, yeah, I say that would be worse than a few feet of light powdered snow.)

Atticus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Atticus »

we got hit last month was horde worst snow ever
Hell last time I remamber good snow here like 5 years ago
But dang was horde and I had drive in it to work ;(
Got traped in on road for 4 hrs of ZERO MOVEMENT
then 5 hrs get anywere

meg
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by meg »

. . . dude. stop stealing our snow. here in Virginia, it's like 60 degrees. it was 70 the other day.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

If Colorado does what it usually does, all the snow we have been getting for the past two days will be completely melted just in time for Christmas. *sigh*
Dude, you're a 20 minute drive from the mountains and plenty of snow. Stop -Borgan-. :P
-G1

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

No fair, I'm jealous! Here I am in Michigan, and we have NO snow. :shock: Cursed global warming! It's never been like this before. It has been feeling like spring outside for the last couple of weeks!
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

GhaleonOne wrote:Yeah, the foothills and high plains are getting nailed, and somehow it's supposed to completely miss us. 100 miles west of here and they're getting freezing rain and snow, and it's nice and sunny here and staying that way. I wanted a white Christmas.
Oh, I know. It's all sunshine and puppies up here, dangit. We can get blizzards that cover the first story, but daaaang if we can get a white Christmas.
phyco126 wrote:If Colorado does what it usually does, all the snow we have been getting for the past two days will be completely melted just in time for Christmas. *sigh*
I know, I know...*sighs* That's so true. Unless you live in the mountains.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

LuNaRtIc wrote:No fair, I'm jealous! Here I am in Michigan, and we have NO snow. :shock: Cursed global warming! It's never been like this before. It has been feeling like spring outside for the last couple of weeks!
i think u might be right about that global warming this might be the first christmas ever with out snow for me

Rimmie
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Rimmie »

Here in Iowa, we were mowing our lawns last month. 0_o
Pickle? I thought you said baseball card!

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

G1, hush :P Trucks to move the snow are expensive these days :D.

As for us stealing snow, nah, nothing of the sort. We are just, uh, borrowing it for the time being. :wink:

Truth be told though, something is amiss. When my family first moved to Colorado, every winter we had wonderful amounts of snow fall. The past several years however, we have been either in a drout or near drout conditions, so we have hardly had any real amounts of snow to talk about (I talk about all of this in the Springs mind you, in 2003 the mountains appearantly got 11 feet of snow O_o.)

This winter, is different. This is twice we had a ton of snow drop, twice we had a "blizzard" (I personally consider them "miniture blizzards") as well as some decent snow storms. Yet, patches of our grass are still green, and a unbelievable amount of days so far have been very warm, almost like we where mid-spring. The weather here is strange, I'm used to it, but this winter has been something I haven't seen before.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

in 2003 the mountains appearantly got 11 feet of snow O_o.
In less than 2 days. I remember, I was stranded there. However, it was the funnest adventure ever.

And those area's go through droughts off and on every few decades. In fact, they just found a hidden glacier built into Long's Peak that's actually expanding on average.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Man, I would have loved to have been in that snow storm. :D The only thing that comes close is the blizzard of '97, with up to, I think, 16 foot drifts. I love snow storms, but I hate not having food, lol.

Now the Glacier, are you talking about the glacier that's hidden under the rocks and stuff? I recall reading about a new hidden glacier earlier this year, but I don't recall where they found it, so it could be the one and the same. If so, all I have to say is... cool. :D

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, that's the glacier. It's under the "Boulderfield" of Long's Peak (which is basically just a mile long strech of rocks that you hop across on the way to the summit. There's always been running water during the warm few weeks up there, and people always wondered why. It's from the snow and ice that falls on the glacier between the rocks. It's apparently a huge glacier from what they're finding out.

BTW, I'd be more worried about those bark beetles destroying the pines than any global warming.
-G1

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

phyco126 wrote: Truth be told though, something is amiss. When my family first moved to Colorado, every winter we had wonderful amounts of snow fall. The past several years however, we have been either in a drout or near drout conditions, so we have hardly had any real amounts of snow to talk about (I talk about all of this in the Springs mind you, in 2003 the mountains appearantly got 11 feet of snow O_o.)
Hmm, when did your family move down there? I lived there from '92 to 2000, and I don't remember a significant amount of snowfall. Then again, I lived in Boulder, so it's a bit farther north, and I can't seem to remember how close Springs is to the Rockies.
Not really all that important, but I'm a (Coloradian? Coloradonian? :/ ) and I'm curious. Plus, it's rather comforting to talk to someone from "back home".

And yeah, G1 - those bark beetles are a huge concern up here in Nova Scotia, where the trees have already been devastated by the hurricane.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Agawa wrote:
phyco126 wrote: Truth be told though, something is amiss. When my family first moved to Colorado, every winter we had wonderful amounts of snow fall. The past several years however, we have been either in a drout or near drout conditions, so we have hardly had any real amounts of snow to talk about (I talk about all of this in the Springs mind you, in 2003 the mountains appearantly got 11 feet of snow O_o.)
Hmm, when did your family move down there? I lived there from '92 to 2000, and I don't remember a significant amount of snowfall. Then again, I lived in Boulder, so it's a bit farther north, and I can't seem to remember how close Springs is to the Rockies.
Not really all that important, but I'm a (Coloradian? Coloradonian? :/ ) and I'm curious. Plus, it's rather comforting to talk to someone from "back home".

And yeah, G1 - those bark beetles are a huge concern up here in Nova Scotia, where the trees have already been devastated by the hurricane.
My family moved to Fountain (roughly 10/15 minutes south of Downtown Colorado Springs) in the summer of 1996 and moved the Colorado Springs late 2003. Colorado Springs is fairly close to Pike's Peak, just a quick 20 minute or so drive from down town puts you at the entrance to the summit road. Boulder is fairly far north from Colorado Springs, over an hour drive if I recall correctly. And considering one spot in Colorado Springs can get a couple of feet of snow and another spot just a couple of miles away gets non, it wouldn't surprise me if we got a lot of snow on several occasions and you got none. However, the blizzard of 1997 hit more than just the Spring's and Fountain, as I remember the 3 day snow storm killed around 16/18 people.

Now as for Bark Bettles... never heard of them.

And when did Nova Scotia get hit by a hurricane? I don't recall any hurricanes hitting that far up north (but I don't really pay much attention to the hurricane season anyway.)

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DragonmasterAndy »

I hate the snow. I've lived in Big Bear, California for my entire life. We get too much of it.

Atticus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Atticus »

DragonmasterAndy wrote:I hate the snow. I've lived in Big Bear, California for my entire life. We get too much of it.
Should move here then
We rarely get any good snow
if get any Melts away next day
Shame
Looks like another 24 & 25 with out snow...

DragonmasterAndy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DragonmasterAndy »

Where do you live at?