Hacked

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
captaindax
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Hacked

Post by captaindax »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:
captaindax wrote:Sounds good to me. But then again ethics is debatable as well. I'm Nihilistic generally so I really don't think any action is preferable to another in regard to moral value. It's all about perception.
True. Except for a handful of cases (cold blooded murder, for example), ethics are not black and white and there are a lot of shades of gray in determining whether any particular action is ethical or not.
Who are you to say that murdering someone in cold blood isn't ethical? What if they killed someone you loved first? Some people consider an eye for an eye perfectly legitimate.

(I'm going under the assumption that by cold blooded murder you mean to do something "in cold blood" aka deliberately/coldly/dispassionately)

...and sorry I'm driving this way off topic now I think.
I - am that is

Parn
Reza Thief

Post by Parn »

Nobiyuki77 wrote:Today has not been a good day. Oh, it started alright, went to work, nothing unusual. Before I went on lunch, I decided to check my bank account like I always do, just to make sure nothing is wrong.

Today, something was wrong. $400 wrong.

See, someone hacked into my iTunes account and took out $400 in 8 $50.00 transactions. They just posted to my account today 11/17. In a panic, I printed the sheet and took it to my manager, asking if I could leave early to take care of it (thankfully I had already finished my day 3 expenses and a few of my co-worker's expenses as well). He let me go, and I went home to first check with Apple to make sure they 1) cancel my account with iTunes and 2) if I was going to get the money back from them or the bank.

Long story short, I had to go to the bank and file Unauthorized Transactions paperwork and cancel my card. The bank will be giving me a provisional credit for the missing money in the next 10 days so I feel a little better. But this whole thing just kinda shook me up ya know? Account fraud is that thing that always happens to other people.

Until it happens to you, that is. :(
Interestingly enough, I also had an unauthorized iTunes transaction occur, except on November 12th with a slight variation... it was two $200 transactions. Apparently I'm not an isolated incident at all. Because my iTunes account was linked to my Paypal account, I filed the dispute through Paypal, and Apple has yet to respond.

Very interesting...

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Hmm... not to panic anyone, but everyone with an iTunes account may want to check their balance. Also... I wish these people would just steal their music directly from the label like everyone else.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

captaindax wrote:
Dragonmaster Lou wrote:
captaindax wrote:Sounds good to me. But then again ethics is debatable as well. I'm Nihilistic generally so I really don't think any action is preferable to another in regard to moral value. It's all about perception.
True. Except for a handful of cases (cold blooded murder, for example), ethics are not black and white and there are a lot of shades of gray in determining whether any particular action is ethical or not.
Who are you to say that murdering someone in cold blood isn't ethical? What if they killed someone you loved first? Some people consider an eye for an eye perfectly legitimate.

(I'm going unde rhe assumption that by cold blooded murder you mean to do something "in cold blood" aka deliberately/coldly/dispassionately)

..and sorry I'm driving this way off topic now I think.
All you are doing is putting a context to different situations. As a modern Christian, I probably would not kill someone who killed someone I love. As a seventeenth-century Italian, I probably would. What changes is not the ethics of the matter, but only our understanding of them in their context, and our justifications for and against those actions, not whether the actions are good or bad in themselves. (A cold-blooded murderer may well realize that they are doing something wrong, but do it anyway.)

"Some people" can be wrong. I must allow the possibility that I am wrong. But personally, I think I have a stronger argument for murder being wrong than you do for it being allowable in that situation.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Werefrog wrote:Hmm... not to panic anyone, but everyone with an iTunes account may want to check their balance. Also... I wish these people would just steal their music directly from the label like everyone else.

That didn't even occur to me. That's a hell of a lot more effort and more risk taken to steal music THAT way. You'd think they'd just use a download program or bittorrent.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Werefrog wrote:Also, Kizyr, do you have an information about the amount of money an artist makes from iTunes versus a CD (you sort of mentioned this to an extent.)? I know that the label gets an extremely large proportion either way, but I'm not sure if they make less off iTunes.
As far as I know, it depends on the label/manufacturer, and the recording contract. The decision for me comes into play only with independent artists, so, it usually ends up being a question of buying directly from them versus buying through an intermediary (like Amazon or CDBaby).

Someone asked a similar question on Jillian Goldin's message boards. Here's what she and zircon said about it:
zircon wrote:Amazon takes a little more than iTunes.. a full album sale nets about $5.90 for the artist. Not bad overall though.
JG wrote:Amazon isn't terrible, but it's still the method of purchase that gets artists the least money - at least out of the things we personally use. The best possible scenario is buying directly here on the website (which you did), followed by CD Baby, iTunes, and then Amazon, in that order. But it's also a matter of what is convenient for audiences out there, so I am happy to have my music available in many places for that reason!
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
Werefrog wrote:Hmm... not to panic anyone, but everyone with an iTunes account may want to check their balance. Also... I wish these people would just steal their music directly from the label like everyone else.
That didn't even occur to me. That's a hell of a lot more effort and more risk taken to steal music THAT way. You'd think they'd just use a download program or bittorrent.
Man, come to think of it, that's a good point.

Method 1) Bittorrent pirated music.
Crime: IP theft
Risk: next-to-nothing
Cost: minimal (it's distributors, not leechers, who are at risk)

Method 2) Steal someone's iTunes account
Crime: credit fraud, identity theft
Risk: high
Cost: high

I mean, this idiot basically chose to steal from someone who's not wealthy at a lot of effort, instead of from someone who's very wealthy at little effort. It's like breaking into an expensive jewelry store just to steal $30 from the cash register. Or like stealing someone's mail (little reward, big penalties). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

captaindax
Red Dragon Priest

Post by captaindax »

Sonic# wrote: All you are doing is putting a context to different situations. As a modern Christian, I probably would not kill someone who killed someone I love. As a seventeenth-century Italian, I probably would. What changes is not the ethics of the matter, but only our understanding of them in their context, and our justifications for and against those actions, not whether the actions are good or bad in themselves. (A cold-blooded murderer may well realize that they are doing something wrong, but do it anyway.)

"Some people" can be wrong. I must allow the possibility that I am wrong. But personally, I think I have a stronger argument for murder being wrong than you do for it being allowable in that situation.
How can you define right and wrong though? Wrong is considered to be something that is injurious, unfair, unfit, or without a just cause. Who are you to say what is without a just cause or not? There is no way to determine exactly what is good and bad unless it's defined by something else. Be it a feeling or religious doctrine there's no way to know the legitimacy of that which defines right and wrong either.

With all due respect I don't think there's any way to have a stronger argument for murder being wrong than someone else, or a weaker one for that matter because you can't truly define right or wrong. All options in my view are completely neutral as far as morals and ethics are concerned. Nothing can be justified or unjustified because there is no one solid definition for right and wrong.

Even if you saw indisputable proof that say, a religion was completely true and accurate and it's definition for what was wrong was correct, there's no way to verify what you saw because even your own mind is subject to alteration and deception. How do you know you're not currently in a very vivid dream?

(Normally I would admit that my deduction has the possibility of being incorrect, but then I realized since you can't properly define if something is correct or not there's no way of knowing if even a possibility exists.)

In the words of Doreen:

"Am I butterfly dreaming I'm a man? Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of sashimi? Never assume what you see and feel is real!"
I - am that is

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

captaindax wrote:
Dragonmaster Lou wrote:

(I'm going under the assumption that by cold blooded murder you mean to do something "in cold blood" aka deliberately/coldly/dispassionately)
I guess I should've been more specific. By "cold blooded" I mean something in the context of, "I'm going to wake up tomorrow then go kill my next door neighbor because I feel like it." No reason (not even justice/vengeance), no mitigating circumstances (the voices in my head said to do it), nothing. Just murder for the sake of murder.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:I guess I should've been more specific. By "cold blooded" I mean something in the context of, "I'm going to wake up tomorrow then go kill my next door neighbor because I feel like it." No reason (not even justice/vengeance), no mitigating circumstances (the voices in my head said to do it), nothing. Just murder for the sake of murder.
There's no need. Idiomatic use of the term "cold-blooded" means that it's done for no apparent reason or justification. Or, the justification is light (e.g., killing someone to steal money, killing someone for their beliefs, etc.). Captaindax seems to be misunderstanding the common use of the term, and so he's talking about something totally different than either Sonic# or you. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I'm tempted to turn this into a pun (wouldn't this technically be a double entendre?) about turtle soup. (Get it? Cold-blooded. I'm such a genius).

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

captaindax wrote:
Sonic# wrote: All you are doing is putting a context to different situations. As a modern Christian, I probably would not kill someone who killed someone I love. As a seventeenth-century Italian, I probably would. What changes is not the ethics of the matter, but only our understanding of them in their context, and our justifications for and against those actions, not whether the actions are good or bad in themselves. (A cold-blooded murderer may well realize that they are doing something wrong, but do it anyway.)

How can you define right and wrong though? Wrong is considered to be something that is injurious, unfair, unfit, or without a just cause. Who are you to say what is without a just cause or not? There is no way to determine exactly what is good and bad unless it's defined by something else. Be it a feeling or religious doctrine there's no way to know the legitimacy of that which defines right and wrong either.

With all due respect I don't think there's any way to have a stronger argument for murder being wrong than someone else, or a weaker one for that matter because you can't truly define right or wrong. All options in my view are completely neutral as far as morals and ethics are concerned. Nothing can be justified or unjustified because there is no one solid definition for right and wrong.

Even if you saw indisputable proof that say, a religion was completely true and accurate and it's definition for what was wrong was correct, there's no way to verify what you saw because even your own mind is subject to alteration and deception. How do you know you're not currently in a very vivid dream?

(Normally I would admit that my deduction has the possibility of being incorrect, but then I realized since you can't properly define if something is correct or not there's no way of knowing if even a possibility exists.)

In the words of Doreen:

"Am I butterfly dreaming I'm a man? Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of sashimi? Never assume what you see and feel is real!"
Answer: Who am I to judge? I'm a human. I don't believe my right and wrong are absolute, but meaningfully relative, and I'm audacious enough to come up with a model that works for society and me. We are capable of making judgments on what is injurious and what isn't. Not perfectly, of course, but conditionally. I know my last word isn't the last word, and that even my word can be misread, misinterpreted. Of course. Any judgment is an audacious one, where we finally resolve that, whether we perceive right or not, we must take a stance in the reality that we perceive.

Sure, maybe it isn't real. I can't know. But I'd rather be faithful in a false world than depraved in a real one; put another way, I'd rather believe in a God that doesn't exist and do good by that than not believe in a God that does exist. There's no way of knowing whether God exists or not, or whether the world is real or not, but I don't see why I have to have absolute knowledge to do something right. Working knowledge is enough. I will be sometimes correct, and sometimes incorrect, but the hope is that the endeavor to be correct and to look at things critically will end up with more right than wrong.

You say that the possibility I'm ill in the head ought to wreck my judgment utterly. (How do you judge illness if you can't judge what's normal from what isn't?) But the possibility doesn't mean I'm certainly wrong in the head. I may be right, at least some of the time. All it does is produce constructive doubt. As long as I'm able to ask myself, "Am I crazy? Am I right?" then I'm probably not crazy, and I can still be right. That's more useful to me.

And most people are able to do this without too much complication (there's always some complication). There's tons of room for everyone to disagree, but at the same time, there is a consensus morality that operates, most clearly as law, but also other in other things. The sorts of things that allow me to walk down the street without expecting everyone to spontaneously stab me, or driving without expecting someone to shoot me. Both of those events can happen, but we see them as transgressive. So there's already a discourse of right and wrong - multivalent and unfinalizable - but not meaningless.

In contrast, the only language of nihilism is quiet. Even silence speaks too loudly for it, because the silence can be the silence of the subjugated, which still means something. What can you say that doesn't have a value judgment in assigning a meaning amongst a choice of meanings? I may as well be aware of the meanings I construct, rather than blithely indifferent to the meaning I nonetheless lapse into while speaking. (How can your words mean anything to you? How can mine? Obviously you have no trouble defining these, even if you want to say otherwise.)

By the way, great way to quote Finding Nemo.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

captaindax
Red Dragon Priest

Post by captaindax »

Sonic# wrote:
captaindax wrote:

In the words of Doreen:

Answer: Who am I to judge? I'm a human. I don't believe my right and wrong are absolute, but meaningfully relative, and I'm audacious enough to come up with a model that works for society and me. We are capable of making judgments on what is injurious and what isn't. Not perfectly, of course, but conditionally. I know my last word isn't the last word, and that even my word can be misread, misinterpreted. Of course. Any judgment is an audacious one, where we finally resolve that, whether we perceive right or not, we must take a stance in the reality that we perceive.

Sure, maybe it isn't real. I can't know. But I'd rather be faithful in a false world than depraved in a real one; put another way, I'd rather believe in a God that doesn't exist and do good by that than not believe in a God that does exist. There's no way of knowing whether God exists or not, or whether the world is real or not, but I don't see why I have to have absolute knowledge to do something right. Working knowledge is enough. I will be sometimes correct, and sometimes incorrect, but the hope is that the endeavor to be correct and to look at things critically will end up with more right than wrong.

You say that the possibility I'm ill in the head ought to wreck my judgment utterly. (How do you judge illness if you can't judge what's normal from what isn't?) But the possibility doesn't mean I'm certainly wrong in the head. I may be right, at least some of the time. All it does is produce constructive doubt. As long as I'm able to ask myself, "Am I crazy? Am I right?" then I'm probably not crazy, and I can still be right. That's more useful to me.

And most people are able to do this without too much complication (there's always some complication). There's tons of room for everyone to disagree, but at the same time, there is a consensus morality that operates, most clearly as law, but also other in other things. The sorts of things that allow me to walk down the street without expecting everyone to spontaneously stab me, or driving without expecting someone to shoot me. Both of those events can happen, but we see them as transgressive. So there's already a discourse of right and wrong - multivalent and unfinalizable - but not meaningless.

In contrast, the only language of nihilism is quiet. Even silence speaks too loudly for it, because the silence can be the silence of the subjugated, which still means something. What can you say that doesn't have a value judgment in assigning a meaning amongst a choice of meanings? I may as well be aware of the meanings I construct, rather than blithely indifferent to the meaning I nonetheless lapse into while speaking. (How can your words mean anything to you? How can mine? Obviously you have no trouble defining these, even if you want to say otherwise.)

Actually I was quoting Chrono Trigger...but I like the speech.

I agree you don't need absolute knowledge to do something right. You do need absolute knowledge to KNOW you did something right though. And yes nihilism is quiet. Everything I say including that regarding nihilism is meaningless. But what fun would this conversation be if I didn't say anything? I know I know....damn.....hoisted by my own petard.

Congratulations on bringing me the most intelligent conversation I've ever had with a religious person about this. Usually they just throw out the "I KNOW (insert deity) exists" card and stop talking to me.
I - am that is

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Sonic# wrote:
captaindax wrote:

In the words of Doreen:

Hey! Finding Nemo kicks ass!

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I agree you don't need absolute knowledge to do something right. You do need absolute knowledge to KNOW you did something right though. And yes nihilism is quiet. Everything I say including that regarding nihilism is meaningless. But what fun would this conversation be if I didn't say anything? I know I know....damn.....hoisted by my own petard.

Congratulations on bringing me the most intelligent conversation I've ever had with a religious person about this. Usually they just throw out the "I KNOW (insert deity) exists" card and stop talking to me.
Oof, you're right about the quote. Thanks. :) It just seems like a very Finding-Nemo-Doreen thing to say. (And I happen to like the movie, B_G.)

And, just a clarification... I'm not religious. I believe in God, but I don't belong to any denomination or group. On some days I'm pandeist, but perhaps more properly I'm deist. With sprinkles of Christianity. Which isn't to say that religious people can't hold my opinions (some do, and express them even better than me), but I don't want to mislead you, in case that should happen to matter.

Either that, or I'm in denial and becoming a medievalist just so I can become C.S. Lewis and eventually find belief in the Anglican church. I'd be cool with that too.
Sonic#

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Sonic# wrote: On some days I'm pandeist, but perhaps more properly I'm deist. With sprinkles of Christianity. Which isn't to say that religious people can't hold my opinions (some do, and express them even better than me), but I don't want to mislead you, in case that should happen to matter.
The sprinkles of Christianity... gives me an idea for a really weird ice cream shop: "Build your own religion Sunday Bar."

I'd eat there.

captaindax
Red Dragon Priest

Post by captaindax »

Sonic# wrote:

Oof, you're right about the quote. Thanks. :) It just seems like a very Finding-Nemo-Doreen thing to say. (And I happen to like the movie, B_G.)

And, just a clarification... I'm not religious. I believe in God, but I don't belong to any denomination or group. On some days I'm pandeist, but perhaps more properly I'm deist. With sprinkles of Christianity. Which isn't to say that religious people can't hold my opinions (some do, and express them even better than me), but I don't want to mislead you, in case that should happen to matter.

Either that, or I'm in denial and becoming a medievalist just so I can become C.S. Lewis and eventually find belief in the Anglican church. I'd be cool with that too.
Well whatever you are you're ace in my book. And yeah I like that movie too, but I've never heard Dory called Doreen so I think you're a bit mixed up? Well whatever it's all good.

Sprinkles of Christianity sounds like an ice cream shop people go on Sunday after service to me. Mm...sacralicious....
I - am that is

Parn
Reza Thief

Post by Parn »

Paypal has been reluctant to help me out, so once this dispute is resolved, my account will be permanently cancelled. I'm as enthusiastic to use your services Paypal, as you are to help me when I've been screwed.

I've now gone directly to Apple support and sent them an email to get this whole process going. Dependent upon how helpful they are in resolving this will determine if I ever use the iTunes store again. One way or another, I /WILL/ get my $400 back.

captaindax
Red Dragon Priest

Post by captaindax »

Parn wrote:Paypal has been reluctant to help me out, so once this dispute is resolved, my account will be permanently cancelled. I'm as enthusiastic to use your services Paypal, as you are to help me when I've been screwed.

I've now gone directly to Apple support and sent them an email to get this whole process going. Dependent upon how helpful they are in resolving this will determine if I ever use the iTunes store again. One way or another, I /WILL/ get my $400 back.
Strange Paypal is so reluctant to help you out. Dad got screwed a couple times on Ebay and they always got his money back right away.
I - am that is

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Although I've never had problem with PayPal personally, I've heard a lot bad about it.

captaindax
Red Dragon Priest

Post by captaindax »

Werefrog wrote:Although I've never had problem with PayPal personally, I've heard a lot bad about it.
Yeah I did a little searching and there seems to be a growing community of people who hate Paypal. However some of these places I wouldn't put TOO much stock into.

http://www.paypalsucks.com came up right away, but upon viewing it I'm a bit confused. Most of their information comes from their forum users without any real proof, and on a lot of their pages they're pushing a "paypal alternative" called "Merchantinc". When I went to that site it looked kind of unprofessional, complained about Paypal right on the main site, and for a paypal alternative it seems to only be for businesses accepting credit cards.

Anyway, I've never had an issue with it, nor my parents or anyone I know, not to say it doesn't happen. But until it does I've had nothing but good experiences with Paypal and I'll probably stick with it.

Edit: I looked at three other sites as well and two of them were very similar to paypalsucks.com, with a bunch of stories on how bad it was then pushing products like "Free merchant" or "real merchant" which ironically all came back to the same website as Merchantinc. I wonder how much of the internet is completely useless -Dung Beetle- or one big advertisement?
I - am that is