Snow in the desert!

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Snow in the desert!

Post by GhaleonOne »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051127/lf_afp/uaedubaiski

That's insane. I can't imagine how much it would cost to build something like that.
-G1

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

The wealth of the UAE must be truely staggering. I hope for their sake that their bid to become a hub for tourism pays off, because I'm kind of concerned about what the fate of the Arab nations will be now that 1st world nations are starting to seriously look for alternatives to oil.
「まあいいけど。」

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Nice. I want to have just a very small share of their wealth :)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Yay, wealth of the UAE, built on the backs of migrant laborers who get about a tenth of the rights as nationals.

I got a lot of issues with the opulence of many of the Arab states. UAE and Saudi are pretty high up there. Though, admittedly, Dubai is a very lovely city. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

Woah, that's amazing! I bet like 99% of the people over there haven't seen snow in person.. now they can have fun in fake snow, hehe.
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

That's amazing. I want to go there. Lol.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Wow. Those peeps must really want to ski for them to build such an elaborate environment O,O I'll have to read the full article soon... it's much too late now. Interesting about using real snow... guess I'll have to read the rest to find out how they intend on using real snow exactly.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Makes me want to build a 10 by 20 feet room with snow makers, so me and my friends can have snow fights in 100 degree weather :D Ah, to be rich and miserable instead of poor and miserable...

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

Dude, that is awesome. I have got to go there sometime. Then again, it should be awesome since it cost so much.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Kizyr wrote:Yay, wealth of the UAE, built on the backs of migrant laborers who get about a tenth of the rights as nationals.

I got a lot of issues with the opulence of many of the Arab states. UAE and Saudi are pretty high up there. Though, admittedly, Dubai is a very lovely city. KF

With good reason too, there is a dark side to their wealth, and it I think it's only right to make people aware of it. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4236123.stm
「まあいいけど。」

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Shiva Indis wrote:
Kizyr wrote:Yay, wealth of the UAE, built on the backs of migrant laborers who get about a tenth of the rights as nationals.

With good reason too, there is a dark side to their wealth, and it I think it's only right to make people aware of it. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4236123.stm

Do you mean to say that justifies treating non-citizens like third-class?
Had non-citizens in the UAE the same rights that non-citizen immigrants here do, there wouldn't be that sort of mess.

There's a joke in the UAE, that you know you've been there for too long when you get rear-ended by a national, and your first instinct is to rush out and apologize for being in their way. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm utterly confused. I admit I know nothing at all about the UAE besides that they show up in drop-down country lists right before the U.S., but how does the story she linked about child smuggling and abuse suggest justification?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I was wondering the same thing. I'm a bit confused here myself.
-G1

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Perhaps Kizyr is upset because the article I chose is a sort of follow-up - it's been a couple of years since limitations were imposed on who can be a camel jockey; and it kind of has an up-side - some of the children are getting care and treatment now. I didn't chose this article because it discusses the (marginal) efforts to improve the situation. The shame (and it does shame us all as human beings) is that this sort of this sort of thing goes on AT ALL. I read over a handfull of articles on the topic, and picked this one because it gave a decent overview and was written fairly recently.
「まあいいけど。」

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Shiva Indis wrote:Perhaps Kizyr is upset because the article I chose is a sort of follow-up - it's been a couple of years since limitations were imposed on who can be a camel jockey; and it kind of has an up-side - some of the children are getting care and treatment now. I didn't chose this article because it discusses the (marginal) efforts to improve the situation. The shame (and it does shame us all as human beings) is that this sort of this sort of thing goes on AT ALL. I read over a handfull of articles on the topic, and picked this one because it gave a decent overview and was written fairly recently.

...then I'm not getting what your point was.

Most of my information comes from a mixture of news articles and folks who've lived for a few years in the UAE or other Gulf States (Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, etc.). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Isn't she just supporting your point, which is that the wealth is built on the downtrodden and mistreated and that there's reason to have issues with the UAE?

Maybe you thought she was just responding to your comment about Dubai?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, regardless what either of you too mean, I want to point out one thing. The UAE, Sudan, and other countries on that list arn't the only countries in the world that smuggles children for private use and other's gains. As a matter of fact, there are hundreds and thousands of child smuggling right here in the united states, and there are many cases of child prostitues, sex slaves, and anything else the person who "owns" them did to them.

I do also realize why the article was chosen, as it deals with UAE and perhapes it's dark-side to it's wealth, but if anyone is going to be mad at one country, then you might as well be mad at the rest in the world.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Phyco, that's just one aspect of a worldwide problem, and not the point of what we were talking about. It's just the point of that one article.

What I'm referring to is the problem of importing migrant labor and treating them like third-class citizens, even if they make up a majority of your country. It's a problem in a lot of countries (here included), but I find it particularly notorious in the Gulf States. It happens in countries with a sudden influx of wealth over a few decades, who don't have the population necessary to start using that wealth to create an infrastructure. It works fine if you accord them the same rights, but not if you treat them as lesser people.

SI, the reason I'm confused is because I mentioned that as a problem, and your first line was "with good reason", which sounded like it was saying that migrants are treated poorly with good reason. ...judging by context, I'm guessing now that that's not what you meant... So, uh, I'd like it if you could clarify {^^}. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Oh, well, I understand now. Sorry :P You know, the mention of wealth reminds me of my roomate who was station in Kuwait (for the first time, a couple of years before the war.) He took pictures of Ferries that people where driving around. He parked in one spot, saw one, and took a picture, then another one pulled up right next to it. He said that people in Kuwait where so freaking wealthy, that it wasn't even funny.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Kizyr wrote:SI, the reason I'm confused is because I mentioned that as a problem, and your first line was "with good reason", which sounded like it was saying that migrants are treated poorly with good reason. ...judging by context, I'm guessing now that that's not what you meant... So, uh, I'd like it if you could clarify {^^}. KF

Ah, that's cool. I was responding to your statement, "I've got a lot of issues with the opulence of many of the Arab states." When you're familliar with the sort of abuses that go on (and it seems to be pretty personal for you), your position is justified.
「まあいいけど。」