World Cup '06!

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.

Who are you going for?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:28 am

Brazil
29%
Argentina
6%
England
6%
Germany
12%
Italy
No votes
France
12%
The Netherlands
No votes
Spain
6%
Portugal
No votes
Czech Republic
No votes
United States
24%
Japan
6%
South Korea
No votes
Another country
No votes

Total votes: 17

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

World Cup '06!

Post by Kizyr »

So who else is all excited about this? This year is gonna be great. First match begins tomorrow at 12PM Eastern betwen Germany and Costa Rica.

I'm wanting to start off an 'official' World Cup thread. Folks, use this for anything WC-related, down to bragging about a particular team or maybe rubbing losses in someone else's face. The only "ground rules" I'm gonna set up are:

1) No insulting individual members
2) No insulting any country. You can talk smack about the team (within reason), but there's a huge difference between saying that "Argentina's team cheats" and "Argentineans are all cheaters".
3) No 'spoiler' tags are needed. If anyone is recording games during the day to watch at home later, it's your own responsibility to avoid this thread until you can watch the latest game, sorry.

Anyway, that's all to be said for setting things up.

Me, I'm really looking forward to it, obviously. First off, I'm really looking forward to seeing the 6 teams for whom this is their first World Cup ever, and how they fare (Trinidad and Tobago, Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, Togo, Angola, and the Ukraine--I don't think I'm missing any?). In particular, I'm gonna be following closely Ghana and Argentina--mostly Argentina, since I'll enjoy seeing them embarass Brazil in the finals.

The timing of the games is unfortunately a bit difficult, being during work hours and all. Then again, it'll give me excuses to take long lunch breaks since several other folks will also be following the games (including my supervisor). At least I don't have to stay up 'til 2:30 like last time...

Also, unfortunately we haven't been able to set up any kind of friendly betting pool, but there's still some opportunity for that until the Round of 16 begins... But no guarantees. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

Brasil! Per usual. I'm looking forward to seeing the new teams and the competition in general. I love soccer, and this event can never come soon enough.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Brasil. As if my sig wasn't enough to show my thoughts on it.

But really, I don't expect near as many upsets and surprises out of the group stages as last time. The superpowers are much more prepared this time around. I really don't see one of about 6-7 teams not going on to the finals though. Brasil, Argetina, France, England, Italy or the Netherlands, with the Czech's, Spain and Portugal with an outside chance. In fact, here's my picks:

Round of 16:
A1 Germany 2-0 B2 Sweden
C1 Argentina 3-1 D2 Mexico
E1 Czech Republic 2-0 F2 Australia
G1 France 3-1 H2 Ukraine
B1 England 3-1 A2 Ecuador
D1 Portugal 1-2 C2 Ivory Coast
F1 Brasil 3-1 E2 USA
H1 Spain 3-1 G2 Switzerland

Quarter-finals:
A1 Germany 1-3 C1 Argentina (in OT)
E1 Czech Republic 1-1 G1 France (5-6 France on PKs)
B1 England 3-1 C2 Ivory Coast
F1 Brasil 3-2 H1 Spain

Semi-finals Winners:
C1 Argentina 0-1 G1 France
B1 England 1-1 F1 Brasil (3-4 Brasil on PKs)

3rd Place Game: Argentina 2-3 <u>England</u>
Final Game: France 1-2 <u>Brazil</u>
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Eh, I'm not paying attention to the world cup, but for the heck of it, I'm voting Brazil because I keep hearing that they are Gods of soccor (or something like that.)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Brasil can be beaten. In fact, it only takes one bad day, but it is true they do have the best talent. Noone that has any knowledge of the sport right now would deny that talent-wise, Brasil is the best. However, one bad day can end it all for them. And keep in mind, only once has a non-European team EVER taken the Cup on European soil. Granted, it was Brazil, but this was during Pele's reign.

But, all that said, this is one of the strongest Brazilian teams of all time. I honestly rank Ronaldinho as high as Pele at this point. I seriously believe he'll be the best player of all time after retirement when looking bad. Over Pele himself.

A few quick other comments I wanted to make earlier:

- I see Czech Republic putting up a good showing.
- I see at least one big nation (according to my brackets, two: Netherlands and Italy) going out in the group stages because of tough groups.
- I think Ukraine will have a serious showing for being their first World Cup. Anyone who follows them, knows that Shevchenko is one of the greatest strikers in the world. If they can hold up defensively, they'll do good. While I have Spain at the top of that group, I wouldn't be surprised to be wrong and Ukraine takes it.
- The true final game will be the semifinal game between Brasil and England. England has been making a strong showing, and they'll have Rooney back at that point.
- France will prove that they're still a top-tier team, despite a rocky past 4 years and a dumbass for a coach. Theirry Henry will shine like no other.
- Young Player of the Cup: Cesc Fabregas for Spain. This kid has come from out of nowhere this past year for Arsenal, replacing the mighty Patrick Viera. Lionel Messi will be another standout youth. Rooney should have been, but he'll be lucky to play 2-3 games because of injury. I'd love to see the other England wonderkid, Theo Walcott, show his critics up.
-Argentina, much like France, will prove that they're also still a superpower, after a miserable showing last World Cup. Messi will become a star in the next month. He's already showing this at Barcelona with Ronaldinho, Samuel E'to, Deco, etc.
- Ivory Coast will be the standout African team, but because of a tough group, we'll see. I see them taking second of their group, but it's a tough call with Argentina and Netherlands in the group. Not to mention Serbia & Montenegro who took first of their European qualifying group.
- Finally, don't count Ronaldo out. Star of the last World Cup, he's taken nothing but crap for the past year or so, and I predict he'll take the Golden Boot at the end of the tournament again, and soundly shut all his detractors up. I also expect all of Brazil's big players to make even more of a case for their talent. Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Juninho, and yes, Ronaldinho. They aren't just the favored team. Their team spirit and talent will be what wins the cup for them.

Okay, that's probably more than most of you will bother to read, so I'll leave it there. :P
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I don't have time to really repond to everything... But I don't see Argentina losing to France. Do you really see Ivory Coast advancing past their group, though? If they do that'd be impressive... I'd be quite please, though. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I think Ivory Coast has a good shot. They're by far the best African team, and the only one that I can see going through. Ghana would have been my second African choice to escape the groups, but they're in the second strongest group, and not to Ivory Coast's level. I don't think Ivory Coast is better than Netherlands or Italy, I just think one of those two teams will make a bad showing when they're up against Ivory Coast, and IC's emotion will take them through. And when they do, I wouldn't even be surprised to see it take them through Portugal or Mexico in the round of 16.

As for France and Argentina, both are good teams. Could go either way. I just think Henry is the difference maker.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I can sort of see that happening... You saw ENG-PAR earlier today?

Really, same deal with the GER-CRC game... England seriously should've smoked Paraguay, not left with just a 1-0 victory. Maybe all the European powerhouses will prove not to be what they're cracked up to be.

Anyway, if what you're saying pans out, then I'll definitely look forward to a France-Argentina matchup. Though we all know who'll really come out ahead {^^}. I'll call Argentina 2-1 over France. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

England had an off day, IMO. Enough to get by, and yes, they played below their standards, but their last two games before the tournament started were classic. It's not like it matters much, since Sweden was tied by Trinidad & Tobago, which is going to be a BIG upset of the group stage. Not a win, but noone gave T&T a chance against Sweden or England, let alone Paraguay.

I didn't get to see much of Argentina vs. Ivory Coast, because my mom was in town and wanted to go to lunch, but I've got it on tape to watch after tomorrow's games. Netherlands vs. Serbia & Montenegro should actually be a good matchup.

BTW, regarding Argentina: Riquelme is a class-act IMO. I've been watching him for a while, and while I only saw glimpes of the game on a TV in the restraunt, he looks like he'll make an impact. And now that Argentina did their thing against IC, I don't see them going out in the group stages this time around.
-G1

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

England definitely had an off day, but not as bad of one as Sweden had. Sweden should have scored on Trinidad and Tobago so many times, it was honestly ridiculous.. I still think that the free kick by Beckham was absolutely hilarious xD Right off of the defender's head and into the goal. I don't think that the person who headed it in (the name escapes me currently) will ever live it down. I still think that Ecuador is overrated and while they will get through the first round because they got a good grouping they will be annihilated in the next round. Did I mention that the Poland team didn't play defense worth -Dragon Diamond- in their game?
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Regarding the Poland game, I didn't see it, but I heard they actually dominated. Just couldn't put something in.

And as for Beckham's free kick, it was still a hell of kick. It was really unlucky by the defender (Gommorah or something like that I believe). And I think some of England's problem is that they've never had a good record against South American teams. Something about the style of play. But I still think they'll do their thing. This is the most talented England team since they won the Cup in '66.
-G1

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

GhaleonOne wrote:Regarding the Poland game, I didn't see it, but I heard they actually dominated. Just couldn't put something in.

And as for Beckham's free kick, it was still a hell of kick. It was really unlucky by the defender (Gommorah or something like that I believe). And I think some of England's problem is that they've never had a good record against South American teams. Something about the style of play. But I still think they'll do their thing. This is the most talented England team since they won the Cup in '66.

Nah, Sweden dominated but couldn't find the back of the net. Poland's defense was about as solid as vapor. They got more possessions, but the had so many holes in their defense that even I could have scored.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Did anyone watch the games today? I actually watched all three.

I still see Ivory Coast taking second of the group. Other than Arjen Robben stepping it up for Netherlands, I didn't see much out of them that really showed me they're finals material (I know many who have them winning it all).

As for the Group D games, Iran and Angola put up more of a fight than I expected. Both Mexico and Portugal got by though. Iran shut down in the second half of their game and Mexico scored a beauty of a header. They were dancing in the street in Mexico City for sure. Angola definately kept Portugal sweating for their entire game, and I really expected more than a 1-0 win out of Portugal's lineup. Course, they were missing Deco from the game, but still. Angola came out fighting.

Going back, I finally saw at least half the Argentina/Ivory Coast game, and I hate Sorin even more. That guy is a whiner and is as dirty as they come. And he dives way too much too. But Riquelme makes up for it by being such a great respectable player.

Tomorrow the US begins their campaign. And against the Czech Republic, who are a strong team. However, they're missing many of their top players to injury. Could be interesting. Italy plays Ghana, and while I'd like to say Italy will win, the African nations are again putting up a fight. I'd love to see an upset on this one personally, but it's because Italy is my surprise knockout from the group stage. And Tuesday, I can't wait for. Both France and Brazil get their campaigns start, the two most recent World Cup champions.
-G1

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

I've always enjoyed watching Brasil play :) I'm looking forward to tomorrow's matchups, I want to see how well the US plays against the Czech Republic.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I've been away for a bit, but I've been watching all the games so far (well, most of them).

Trinidad and Tobago put up a great showing... It wasn't just Sweden being choppy, but T'n'T was playing really well, and I think well-deserved that tie. Mexico, I really did like their style as well (last two goals were classic).

Angola is looking like the weakest of the African teams, to be honest. They had a shoddy defense first half, and it looked like the only reason Portugal didn't score the second half was because they were playing almost 100% defensively.

What're you predicting for the USA-CZE game, G1? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm up in the air honestly. I have the Czech's taking the group, and the US taking second. It's a gamble though, considering Italy is probably the favored team to take the group. I just think the scandals rocking Italian football right now will hurt their mentality. I'm probably way off though. I didn't give Ghana a chance, but they put South Korea down soundly last week, so who knows. I'm predicting the Czech's to edge the US today, but if they tied or if they US showed up and won it, I wouldn't be surprised either. Too hard to call, honestly.
-G1

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

So I was a bit off. The US barely showed up to play, though Eddie Johnson put up a good showing. Landon Donavon was fairly quiet in the game, and Beasley was shut down.

But really, all these critics acting like the US should have beaten the Czech's are fools. The Czech's have an amazing amount of talent, and they showed it.

Tomorrow comes France and Brazil's games. Damn, I hate working during this...
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I slept through two of the games... US got trounced, though, but I gotta be honest that I wasn't expecting much different. I'd like the US to hold up well, but with the Czech Republic and Italy in the same group? Nah.

ITA-GHA I did watch the first half. After the first 10 minutes I called it 2-0 for Italy... I'd really like Ghana to do well, but Italy apparently is putting their all in their games--they're not slipping up like England or Germany appeared to be. I'm gonna still say that the Czechs and Italians will be the ones to make it out of that group--Italy first, Czech Republic second. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, at this point, I can't see the US getting the result they need against Italy. I didn't see the Italy game (my tape ended and I didn't get over to my dads to watch his tape) but from the stats, it looked like the Italians played a really clean game. At halftime, the foul count was something like 2-9 in favor of Ghana.

Though I still see the Czech's taking the group.

Did anyone see the sportstalk stuff later in the day? Some "sports guys" (who didn't look like they knew a lot about soccer) were arguing that with "all the money we throw into soccer and all the kids coming out of AYSO we should have killed the Czech's". I love the ignorance. The Czech's are one of the best teams in the world. This is why I almost never want to see the US win the World Cup. I don't want to hear all the American sports fans claim that "we're better than everyone else at that now too!"
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Well, Korea beat Togo, which is mostly what I expected, though I slept through that match. As for France and the Swiss tying, that seemed to be due to a good match-up, since both teams seemed to be doing real well. France is seeming to rely a lot on Thierry Henry, though, but that's just a casual observation.

And your team is almost up, G1. The entire stadium looks yellow-and-green {^^}. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)