Judge bans use of the word "rape" in a rape trial

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Judge bans use of the word "rape" in a rape trial

Post by Alunissage »

http://slate.com/id/2168758/
http://www.journalstar.com/articles/200 ... 275420.txt

This started some time ago, but the second trial just happened today (I think) and has already been declared a mistrial because the publicity might prejudice the jury.

And people wonder why so many rape victims don't report it. :roll:
Last edited by Alunissage on Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I don't understand. They wish to provide a neutral picture to the jury, but shouldn't it be enough to explain to them the difference between a description of the crime and a claim? They should be able to discriminate that.

Though... I would think that the victim's claim would have some weight. After all, she is repeating the reason why they are prosecuting. The details are useless without the claims.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

This just in, judge bans the word murder in favor of "Unwanted Discontinuance of Organic Existence".

While I do have a problem with the stacked deck against men in most rape cases, this action by the judge is ridiculous. It should be up to the posecuter and defense attorneys to explain the nature of the claims, and explain that words such as "victim" imply a crime was done to them, and not that the accused is actually guilty.

But, on the other hand so many jurors are 9 to 5 middle class knuckleheads. I guess you really can't expect a lot of high school graduate minimum wagers to understand the subtleties of semantics and arguement.
They said that on Saturday evening Arsenius used to turn his back to the setting sun and stretch out his hands towards heaven and pray until, at dawn on Sunday, the rising sun lit up his face, and then he sat down again.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

DeathBeforeDenial wrote: But, on the other hand so many jurors are 9 to 5 middle class knuckleheads. I guess you really can't expect a lot of high school graduate minimum wagers to understand the subtleties of semantics and arguement.
Hear hear! Best example of this I can think of was when a former co-worker of mine was on jury duty for a civil case involving someone getting hurt in a car accident. Now, note that the victim wasn't wearing her seatbelt, although the accident was in fact the defendant's fault.

Anyway, my co-worker, who was a pretty smart guy by all accounts, recounted the story of another juror who wanted to award the victim $10 million or something ridiculous like that. When asked why, she stated, "Because I think she deserves $10 million." No valid reasoning or anything else -- just that she felt like she deserved that money. My co-worker, on the other hand, felt like at most she only deserved medical expenses and lost wages, especially since her injuries were exacerbated by not wearing a seat belt.

In a happy ending, my co-worker managed to convince the jurors that she was only entitled to medical expenses and lost wages, which were considerably less than the $10 million that stupid lady wanted to give. Unfortunately, not enough juries have smart jurors like him on them. :(
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hmmm. Yeah that sucks, it really does. I wonder, does this mean (and I truely wouldn't doubt that this may eventually happen) that judges will start to ban DNA tests because it'll make the jurors more partial to the tests.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."