I hate roomates...

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

I hate roomates...

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm back BTW. I moved into a rental house recently, with my little bro. Unfortunately, he informs me two weeks prior to moving in that two of his friends are moving in with us. I didn't want this, and now I feel stuck. They're constantly on my TV, constantly using my washer and dryer, loud, have people over all the time, won't go to bed at normal times (which is crucial to me with a full time job). Either they're gonna have to go or I'm gonna have to go... and if I have to go after moving in here under different circumstances, I'm gonna be really pissed with my brother... On the flipside, I'm BANKING money wise because of my bills being quartered from what they were.
-G1

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Re: I hate roomates...

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

GhaleonOne wrote:I'm back BTW. I moved into a rental house recently, with my little bro. Unfortunately, he informs me two weeks prior to moving in that two of his friends are moving in with us. I didn't want this, and now I feel stuck. They're constantly on my TV, constantly using my washer and dryer, loud, have people over all the time, won't go to bed at normal times (which is crucial to me with a full time job). Either they're gonna have to go or I'm gonna have to go... and if I have to go after moving in here under different circumstances, I'm gonna be really pissed with my brother... On the flipside, I'm BANKING money wise because of my bills being quartered from what they were.
Have you openly expressed your dislike of the situation to everyone involved?

If they're being blatantly disrespectful and know it, beat them. You can't force respect, but if they're worried about being slugged in the face then you'll get the results you want.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Urgh. Yeah. Especially when it comes unplanned like that...

It seems like you'd be able to sit down and have a talk with them. But when you didn't agree to them living with you in the first place, that's kind of touchy.

As you say, at least you're saving money?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Wowza. That's majorly inconsiderate of your brother, to invite two people to live with you without consulting you about. I'd be pissed if I was in your shoes.

It's unlikely these people are going to want to leave, since I'm sure they have no problem with the situation. I'm sure your brother told them there'd be no problems with them moving in, so it would be pretty unreasonable to expect them to turn around and expect them to leave because someone decided they didn't like it.

Just leave. There are more important things than saving money, like being happy and sane. But your brother seriously owes you for this.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

ILMG is right. Also, i don't know your brother but instead of being pissed at him....be disappointed. People can tolerate someone being mad at them more than they can handle someone being disappointed.

Deathblood
Student of Vane
Location: In survitude to The Reapers and about to kill Commander Shepard

Post by Deathblood »

Ok. When they're on the t.v. unplug it. Then when they're yelling at you get your gun out. (Don't point it at them though but make sure they know it's loaded) Then tell them to leave. Imediantly. Then if they don't leave, go to the authorities. Then give your brother a strict talking to. The End. :)
Ways of death comes in many shapes. But there are only a few shapes of death itself.[/i]

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Deathblood wrote:Ok. When they're on the t.v. unplug it. Then when they're yelling at you get your gun out. (Don't point it at them though but make sure they know it's loaded) Then tell them to leave. Imediantly. Then if they don't leave, go to the authorities. Then give your brother a strict talking to. The End. :)
I'm not going to be your roommate. O_O Or, leastways, I'd hide your gun far away.

Actually, I had a conversation with a guy yesterday. He said that if someone tried to enter his house without permission, he would shoot them... and if they were making a commotion outside of the door, he'd shoot them through the door. Without trying to establish intent.

Not the same situation as you, where you say specifically not to point the gun at them, but... crazy things can happen when a loaded gun enters the situation. Passive fear wouldn't be the only possibility.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

The rest of us know that G1 isn't really the "shoot you in the face" type and probably not even one to use a gun on anyone. well, unless absolutely necessary but that's everybody.

Parn
Reza Thief

Post by Parn »

No amount of money banked is worth the hassle from my perspective. It is precisely why I live alone in a two-bedroom apartment these days. When you come home, you come home to relax. I consider the money you're not saving when you're not living with a roommate to be well invested... you get to use your appliances on your terms, and when you open the refrigerator, the food you purchased is still in there.

The day I get married, things will handle differently, but I will not deal with a roommate again.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

If you don't already have a lady in your life, she won't be too amused with that situation. She'd rather you had a place of your own to bring her to. Or you could meet a lady that has a place and sweet talk your way in. :P

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

To be honest, I just wanted to vent a little. These two guys are good fella's, they just haven't really grown up. But I sat down with my bro and talked to it out a bit, and this is only temporary anyways. Like a month or two. I can handle that. I'll just have to stick them to it.

And BG, most of my lady friends are friends with my brother too, so that's mostly a non-issue.
-G1

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

Well, you skipped the joy of dorm-mates in college, it's only fair :)
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Deathblood
Student of Vane
Location: In survitude to The Reapers and about to kill Commander Shepard

Post by Deathblood »

I don't care. Shoot them anyways!!!

just kiddin. :D
Ways of death comes in many shapes. But there are only a few shapes of death itself.[/i]

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Deathblood wrote:Ok. When they're on the t.v. unplug it. Then when they're yelling at you get your gun out. (Don't point it at them though but make sure they know it's loaded) Then tell them to leave. Imediantly. Then if they don't leave, go to the authorities. Then give your brother a strict talking to. The End. :)
I'm pretty sure that G1 is looking for a solution that does not involve acting completely childish.
GhaleonOne wrote:And BG, most of my lady friends are friends with my brother too, so that's mostly a non-issue.
"Most" of your lady friends? Wow, you're more of a playa than I initially gave you credit for!
GhaleonOne wrote:To be honest, I just wanted to vent a little. These two guys are good fella's, they just haven't really grown up. But I sat down with my bro and talked to it out a bit, and this is only temporary anyways. Like a month or two. I can handle that. I'll just have to stick them to it.
There're many reasons why I live by myself, and having no room-mate issues to deal with is the number-one thing. Even with friends, it can get rather tough. Basically, you just have to not be afraid to come off as mean. Irresponsible people tend to be very resentful of any attempt to make them face up to responsibility. So you have to be willing to look like the "bad guy" if you want to get anything done. Either they have to grow up and realize that they can't act like children anymore, or they have to get out. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I've considering making a room-mate venting post for a while now too, G1! I have prepared a bulleted list of why my room-mate is worse than yours.

-- He plays music loudly in random intervals.
-- He forgets to turn off his alarm clock when going home for the weekend, so his alarm clock goes off around 7:00 pm and stays on for about an hour.
-- He smokes in a nonsmoking room (heck, the whole campus is nonsmoking).
-- Some of what he smokes isn't quite tobacco...
-- He threw up in his sink and left it there for two days...

Okay, your room-mates may be worse, but I think it's close.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Bah, temporary. I was totally gonna say just pack your crap up and move out here! Plenty of quite places out here, if you don't mind paying nearly $2,000 a month for the peace of mind.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: I love roomates...

Post by exigence »

G1 since its only temporary I say embrace it, live like a wild beast for a few weeks whats the worst that could happen. always remember what would neil patrick harris do?, ill tell yo he would party till it was time to go to work, clock in and slep it off go home and repeat the process.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Until G1 gets fired for showing up late or worse...

There is a difference between trying to relax for a few weeks and trying to be mature about things versus parting and being immature.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I actually have had generally good experiences with having roommates. It is, however, the sort of thing where you need to be living with the right people, and you need to establish ground rules right from the start.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, I kinda got thrown into something I didn't plan on. This morning I was to the point of planning to go apartment hunting, but after talking with my brother when he woke up, he's pretty ticked off at the two of them now too. Rules were there would be no parties. I bought a really nice HDTV a year ago, and have no desire to have it broken by drunk people, and they basically threw a small party last night. That ended that, and he's going to be talking to them about moving out. It'll cost me more, but like Parn and others said above, peace of mind and happiness is worth more than saving extra money at this point. I'm just glad I won't have to move out over it, because I'm tired of moving, and shouldn't have to in this case. There's a lot more to what happened last night, but it's long, boring, and suffice to say, the problem should be nixed soon. Moral of the story: if you have a career and can't afford to have it screwed up, don't roommate with college kids who are still in the college-kid mentality.
-G1