Someone entertain me!

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Someone entertain me!

Post by lutomboy »

same here :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Kizyr wrote:
Werefrog wrote:Oh, I was just kidding because you spelled guitar "garter." It's traditional in American weddings to throw the garter afterwards. I don't know if it's still done anymore. Kizyr and Jenner, what do you think? Is it still common?
Um... I don't know how American weddings are typically done. KF
I think one of the problems is that there's more variation, and so more than one tradition. I know at my sister's wedding, they threw the garter, because I went after it (and missed! Arrrgh).

Even though my wedding is in very early tentative planning stages though, we probably won't have that being done (we've talked about it).
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

Mind you, this was eight and a half years ago, but I threw the garter at my wedding (and had fun taking it off Lynne's leg, too. :twisted: ).

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Sonic# wrote: Even though my wedding is in very early tentative planning stages though, we probably won't have that being done (we've talked about it).
You should definitely have bubbles at your wedding. Bubbles make everything amazing.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The garter thing is one of many "traditional" things I flat-out refused to have as part of my wedding/reception. As with many traditions, its origins are rather repellent.

Lutomboy, can you please make your sig shorter? It's considerably taller than your one-line posts.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Werefrog wrote:
Sonic# wrote: Even though my wedding is in very early tentative planning stages though, we probably won't have that being done (we've talked about it).
You should definitely have bubbles at your wedding. Bubbles make everything amazing.
Yes. Bubbles. Bubbles are an excellent idea, with no repugnant tradition that I can think of (the Good Witch Glenda arrived in one!).
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Since I don't have the time to read 4 pages...

1. I go to work from 0000 to 0845, then have school on top of that. I have also been working overtime. XD

2. I'm cool.

3. None of you are. XD

4. Hello?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

kyle1992 wrote:I have heard rumors that there will be a remake of FF7 for the PS3
It wouldn't surprise me. Square has whored out FF7 like an old bull for almost 5 years now.
Kizyr wrote:
Werefrog wrote:Oh, I was just kidding because you spelled guitar "garter." It's traditional in American weddings to throw the garter afterwards. I don't know if it's still done anymore. Kizyr and Jenner, what do you think? Is it still common?
Um... I don't know how American weddings are typically done. KF
Exactly, I don't know either, however, I don't think if Bengali weddings use garter belts. They may have their own version of the ceremony in their culture. I'll have to find out. I'll look into it once things settle down.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

My aunt's wedding back in ol' 1994 or something, they still threw the garters. Garters for the men, flowers for the women.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

BAG GHALA!

Hmm... I know at my best friend's weddin', at the dinner party, they walked in with boxin' gloves on their hands with the Rocky Theme playin'. It was kinda funny. The colors were black and hot pink. It was really nice. The only downside was that the majority of the music was Polka music and I hated that. Kinda funny hearin' all that polka on Cinco de Mayo. Semi-Good Times.

NO RICE! Bubbles.
What about the Dollar Dance? How do people feel about that? My family always did it, but I noticed a lot of weddin's don't seem to.
ImageImageImage

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

The dollar dance? What does that entail? Them throwing money at you while you dance? If so, I can deal with that, as long as it isn't those hard, hard Susan B. Anthony ones. ^_^
Sonic#

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Asmodean wrote:BAG GHALA!

Hmm... I know at my best friend's weddin', at the dinner party, they walked in with boxin' gloves on their hands with the Rocky Theme playin'. It was kinda funny. The colors were black and hot pink. It was really nice. The only downside was that the majority of the music was Polka music and I hated that. Kinda funny hearin' all that polka on Cinco de Mayo. Semi-Good Times.

NO RICE! Bubbles.
What about the Dollar Dance? How do people feel about that? My family always did it, but I noticed a lot of weddin's don't seem to.

give Weird Al's polka stuff a listen. that's good for people that don't really even like polka.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Or Sacajaweas, Sonic. ;)

I think Asmodean is referring to people dancing with the bride and groom and giving them dollars (or tucking them into clothes?). I remember my cousins doing that.

The garter toss is still very common, by the way. It's totally in the hands of the bridal industry, who will push lacy satin his'n'hers garters at anyone they can. Children's bride dress-up costumes, prom mags (!!!), and of course actual bridal couples. You probably hear less about things like money dances because it's harder for the industry to commercialize.

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

Alunissage wrote:Or Sacajaweas, Sonic. ;)

I think Asmodean is referring to people dancing with the bride and groom and giving them dollars (or tucking them into clothes?). I remember my cousins doing that.
I've heard about tuckin' the money anywhere. But yes. People line up to dance with the bride and/or groom and pay a dollar to do so. Traditionally the men dance with the bride and the women dance with the groom, but of course now a days everyone dances with everyone. It's good times all around.
ImageImageImage

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

Didn't do that one...can't say I would have wanted to have anyone slipping cash into my clothing, though I wouldn't mind cash donations...and Lynne would have killed anyone who tried to tuck anything anywhere. The only thing we had at our wedding which involved payment by the guests (well, apart from the gifts, but that's voluntary, not charging for services rendered) was the cash bar...

...which probably paid for the wedding, knowing Lynne's family. :wink: