ELECTION '08 CLINTON VS. OBAMA

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: ELECTION '08 CLINTON VS. OBAMA

Post by Kizyr »

Werefrog wrote:I've mentioned charisma several times during this topic, so I'll respond to that. At this stage in my life, I already know which party represents my political ideology best. I want the candidate that is most likely to win nominated in my party. That candidate is usually the one with the most charisma-- the one who is best at getting his/her message at out to the masses. Of course, I do analyze some of what the candidates believe in too. Usually though, the two candidates are close enough policy-wise that I just vote for which one I think has the better shot at the general election.
Obama is also the one with the best chance at repairing our image abroad. In no small way is that related to charisma, though its also related to intelligence and good judgment--both things which Obama's also displayed in his record and position during this campaign.

That's just a bonus in addition to the fact that I agree with him far more than any other candidate up for election. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I voted for Obama in the primary and hope that I have the opportunity to do so in the general. Regarding the whole picture thing, it strikes me as the sort of thing that everyone will have forgotten in a week since it's such a non-issue.

As for John McCain, I genuinely like him as a person. However, his positions differ from mine on too many issues for it to be very likely that I'd vote for him.

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

I like Clinton more than I do Obama... But as long as one of them wins im just peachy!
Obama said... what like two and half years ago that he wasnt ready to run. So im going to have to go with what he said being as hes such a great talker and all. :wink:
Depend On You Changed My Life.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
phyco126 wrote:I don't care who wins. Why?

1. I'm sure both of them are far better than Bush was...
2. Will both make history if they are elected (first Black President, first Female President)
3. As long as either of them are far better than Bush, I prefere either, I want to see history happen dangit.

Bush being an awful president shouldn't cause you to lower your standards to ANYONE better than him. That'd be like stopping a 7 year old from defuse a bomb and then asking a 10 year old to do it.

also, we're electing a person. not a black person or a female person.
EVERYONE LOOK! B_G said something neither racist, nor sexist. THIS IS MONUMENTAL, Screencap for posterity! CLAP PEOPLE.

I'm voting for Obama in the up-coming primaries. I hope to see him as president, I believe he is the better choice.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

meg wrote:my first favorite being arnold schwarzenegger
Anyone who can win anything pertaining to bodybuilding is very intelligent and knows a lot about perseverance. Watch the movie Pumping Iron. He's a shining example of the kind of person you'd want running others. He has a great appreciation for life, loves this country and just wants to give something back.
5 yards for unnecessary roughness. Ahnold is one of the best governors in the nation right now in my opinion. Take a look at what he's doing in California before you go and shoot your mouth off.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Ozone wrote:
meg wrote:my first favorite being arnold schwarzenegger
Anyone who can win anything pertaining to bodybuilding is very intelligent and knows a lot about perseverance. Watch the movie Pumping Iron. He's a shining example of the kind of person you'd want running others. He has a great appreciation for life, loves this country and just wants to give something back.
5 yards for unnecessary roughness. Ahnold is one of the best governors in the nation right now in my opinion. Take a look at what he's doing in California before you go and shoot your mouth off.
Are you drunk?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Arnold is spoiled, I would NOT want to see him president. Anyone who bangs on glass doors because his foot pamperer missed her appointment and who owns 50 gazillion Hummers can keep his governancy and leave the presidency to morons and people who care.

Seriously, he has dozens of hummers and even though he doesn't drive any of them, he spends big bucks to have ALL of them washed, at only the finest and most professional car cleaners, who use IMPORTED CAMEL HAIR to brush the little cracks on the inside of a CAR. I'm all for keeping car of your car, but that is absurd.

Anyone who spends their money on that, would be questionable in handling government funds. Doesn't mean he wouldn't be bad at balancing budget and spending it on domestic programs, but there will be a question of if he would order the military to clean their tanks, hummers, and air craft carriers with fine camel hair brushes imported from wherever it is they get it.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I want a foot pamperer.

meg
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by meg »

Jenner wrote:EVERYONE LOOK! B_G said something neither racist, nor sexist. THIS IS MONUMENTAL, Screencap for posterity! CLAP PEOPLE.
did i miss something? why is jenner hounding BG over sexist/racist comments? i don't remember reading anything that would merit this kind of annoyance.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

phyco126 wrote: Seriously, he has dozens of hummers and even thoughhe doesn't drive any of them,
Maybe, he's doing it for the environment. Every Hummer he buys prevents someone else from buying one to drive. Do you think he was really sent here from the future to do this?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hmmmmm, never thought of that. Perhapes Optimus Prime sent him back in time to recover the cube, and it is hidden in a hummer out there somewhere, eh?

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I can't tell if phyco is being serious, making this up as he goes along, or both. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Kizyr, you know he's serious. From Schwarzenegger's Wikipedia article:

"In 1968, Schwarzenegger and fellow bodybuilder Franco Columbu started a bricklaying business. The business flourished thanks to the pair's marketing savvy and an increased demand following a major Los Angeles earthquake in 1971.[78][79]"

Now isn't that suspicious? He starts a business involving building and rebuilding, and then suddenly an earthquake happens.

Could it be that the footage from Superman 1 was just stock footage of him causing the earthquake, played in reverse?! We may never know. But phyco may be on to something anyhow.

... which is to say that I have no clue what he's talking about. ^^;;;
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Arnold's wasteful lifestyle is typical of people with money. Whenever you come into wealth is it apparently difficult to NOT show you have expendable income to everyone you possibly can. I still think the million hummers, if he really does have the million hummers, is the wrong message to be sending. However, I have to agree with Svet and crew, he may make poor personal choices but he has, for the most part, made very wise governmental choices.
meg wrote:
Jenner wrote:EVERYONE LOOK! B_G said something neither racist, nor sexist. THIS IS MONUMENTAL, Screencap for posterity! CLAP PEOPLE.
did i miss something? why is jenner hounding BG over sexist/racist comments? i don't remember reading anything that would merit this kind of annoyance.
B_G's toned down a lot but it used to be pretty bad. At least he's toning down whereas Jenner is still a Troll.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

YES! See? I am totally serious.

To be honest, it *IS* his money to spend like that, but I think if he wants to win my heart back then he needs to show he is a nice guy who doesn't need to be pampared.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:YES! See? I am totally serious.

To be honest, it *IS* his money to spend like that, but I think if he wants to win my heart back then he needs to show he is a nice guy who doesn't need to be pampared.
Why should he bother? Why should anyone bother? For starters, you don't even live in CA, so it's not like he's your governor. Besides that, you have always had a lot of hostility towards anyone with money. If I were really wealthy, given your inherent hostility, I really wouldn't waste my time trying to win your favor; it'd be a futile effort. There's no reason Gov. Schwarznegger should feel like he needs to appear all humble towards people who would resent him for his money, regardless of what he does.

Anyway, I generally like Arnold because, even though he's a Republican, he's big on fiscal responsibility and environmental regulation. I can't say much about how effective a governor he is, since I don't live in CA. But I find myself agreeing with him more often than any other Republican. Democrats still tend to support my interests way more often, however. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

meg
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by meg »

so, i just discovered this hidden in a fark political thread . . .

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

meg wrote:so, i just discovered this hidden in a fark political thread . . .

[insert gif here]
THAT IS AWESOME. xD
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Awwww. Those icons are soooo cute. Especially the chubby huggable McCain. ^_^

And I think a lot of the points the animation makes are apt. I think Obama wins a little too easily... but I do think that, in a fight with McCain, he would win.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Kizyr wrote:
phyco126 wrote:YES! See? I am totally serious.

Why should he bother? Why should anyone bother? For starters, you don't even live in CA, so it's not like he's your governor. Besides that, you have always had a lot of hostility towards anyone with money. If I were really wealthy, given your inherent hostility, I really wouldn't waste my time trying to win your favor; it'd be a futile effort. There's no reason Gov. Schwarznegger should feel like he needs to appear all humble towards people who would resent him for his money, regardless of what he does.
KF
Well, yes I admit I do not like people who have a lot of money, but it isn't quite what you may think.

Still, he DID want the constitution changed for foreigners to be able to run for presidency. I think that gives me a right to think if he wants that done so he could run for presidency, I have a right to care what he does.