Vote

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Vote

Post by phyco126 »

I just watched McCain's speech. It was pretty awesome, and I loved how he looked annoyed at the people booing.

Also, at the end of his speech, was that the theme from the Hunt from Red October playing? Crimson Red or whatever it is called?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Voted because a friend asked me to and the town was dry so I had nothing better to do. Voted Obama.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:I just watched McCain's speech. It was pretty awesome, and I loved how he looked annoyed at the people booing.

Also, at the end of his speech, was that the theme from the Hunt from Red October playing? Crimson Red or whatever it is called?
It was the theme from Crimson Tide. You're close.

I'm glad for a great many reasons that Obama won. I'm still trying to calm down from it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

captaindax
Red Dragon Priest

Post by captaindax »

It's so amazing for me to see a thread like this that isn't plastered in political flame wars....makes me have hope for other forums I occasionally frequent. *sniff* So beautiful...

And I have to admit even though I didn't vote for Obama, his speech was amazing.
I - am that is

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Angelalex242 wrote:I think it's a pity the Governator can't run for president. They have no one better over there, but the Founding Fathers put that 'natural born citizen' thing in there, and thus, it will never be. (Ammending the Constitution would be practically impossible, and the Democrats have no reason to ammend it so a Republican can run). Also, the wisdom of the Founding Father is generally for the best in the long run.

So they'll have to find some other guy for '12. Can't imagine who, though.
I'm confident he would win an election if he could run.

That being said, don't forget Hillary was considered long the shoo-in for nominee this year. There may yet be some rising stars over the next four years that none of us are really familiar with now.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

There's actually a lot I like about Arnold Scharzeneggar. I can't say I'd vote for him without the context of a race, but if I didn't like the other person well enough, I'd probably go to him before I went to a third party.
Hopefully the Republican Party will rediscover the words 'positive attitude' while they're licking their wounds.
This rankles me a little bit, but I don't understand how you mean it. Are you referring to attack ads and the like, despondency at losing, or some sort of Puritan dourness in general?

It seems like people in either party held this up to be a high-stakes election. So the prospect of losing is necessarily negative for both sides. I have friends who voted for McCain that are despondent, and I have friends who voted for Obama that are ecstatic (if they're still despondent about things like Proposition 8 in California). The booing at McCain when he called for cooperation... there's a great discontent with the losers, who think that they were right. A discontent many who voted for Obama would have shared, had he lost. So I think that the positive attitude could've easily been ours to gain because we were lacking it. How do we deal with the dourness? I hope that Obama's choices are the right ones... and that their being right is enough.

I guess I'm trying to be an apologist to people devestated at losing the election. To them, I say they shouldn't be so serious. It's just easier to say it than to do it.

(By the way, I read an article today in The New York Times between classes... a study on jokes has been done, and conservatives were more responsive to both traditional and newer forms of humor than liberals were. Pretty interesting.)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

What I mean is, when Reagan won the election in '80, is major theme was 'it's morning in America'. He went around with a very positive message that proceeded to give Carter ye olde boot.

Even George W. Bush, in 2000, campaigned on the positive message of 'restoring honor and dignity to the White House.'

You can't win by just being against things. You have to be for something.

On Arnold:The main advantage he has over any other Republican is:He could, and almost certainly would, steal California from the Democratic Candidate. Without Cali, Dems would be in serious trouble.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

::stares at people, with arms crossed, in a defiant snit::

hmph.....

Yes, I actually crawled out of my anti-political cave of defiant abstaining and.....voted......

for once......

HAPPY, NOW!?

::trudges off to nurse his anti-political wounds, secretly cuddles an Obama plushie::
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

phyco126 wrote:Focus left us alone, for the most part. Some asked us if we voted, but they didn't ask us who for
And Focus has enough political connections as it is. They would have been in seriously deep doo-doo if they had told you who to vote for.

I'm ecstatic. This is the first time I've voted FOR somebody that actually had a chance (the near-genius John Hagelin only got around 500 votes in wisconsin in 2000).

We can move on now, in a positive direction for the first time in a long time. I was watching a video on the BBC that showed other countries reactions, and could only think, "this is so good for the rest of the world." http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_ ... 710949.stm

And McCain's concession speech was fantastic. It reminded me of why I liked him back in 2000.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I think McCain is going to become the man he used to be, now that he's actually lost the election. The McCain of 2000 will resurrect himself, and he'll be the man everybody liked.

Indeed, I bet we'll see, in the next 4 years, bills authored or co-authored by no less then John McCain being signed into law by President Obama.

Which would be about the classiest thing that could've happened in the country, really.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

meg
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by meg »

and my state (traditionally red VA) went to obama! i was so proud. especially since my in-laws and parents all voted mccain :?

yay eric! yay voting!

A Robot
Burg Farmer

Post by A Robot »

Werefrog wrote:Voted via absentee a couple of weeks ago. So... apparently... I'm in a battleground state this year! I would have never believed it if someone had told me this would happen six months ago.

Some Obama supporters woke me up during my nap about the same time you posted this. McCain supporters would have known the value of a good nap.
Statement: Your paltry and humorous attempt at civilization is fond of its pitiable elderly dignities. These wretched sacks of decaying body mass must find their very existence exhausting, especially during senate hearings.
GhaleonOne wrote:I have to say, that's a pretty gracious concession speech by McCain. I don't think I've watched one before, but I thought it was pretty classy.
Assessment: If the digusting sack of wrinkles and flesh had behaved like that during his entire campaign to be your president things would have been a whole lot different on those primitive projection maps you filthy meat bags were employing.

Observation: Many human's primitive optical sockets leaked precious fluids after hearing this announcement. You silly humans and your emotions.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

A Robot is a Burg Farmer, but it's funnier to read "Borg Farmer."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Werefrog wrote:A Robot is a Burg Farmer, but it's funnier to read "Borg Farmer."
ROFL.
Observation: Many human's primitive optical sockets leaked precious fluids after hearing this announcement. You silly humans and your emotions.
Luckily Georgia isn't in such a drought yet that a stillsuit had to catch mine.

Shaitan! Sandworm in the South!
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

A Robot wrote:Assessment: If the digusting sack of wrinkles and flesh had behaved like that during his entire campaign to be your president things would have been a whole lot different on those primitive projection maps you filthy meat bags were employing.
I'm not sure he would have fared well against Obama's charisma, even without the recent crisisses.

But I'd expect nothing less from a DRE 700 supporter.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

https://members.humaneventsonline.com/o ... offer=1360

Fascinating. Chuck Norris is a conservative.

President Elect Obama should fear roundhouse kicks.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Angelalex242 wrote:https://members.humaneventsonline.com/o ... offer=1360
Fascinating. Chuck Norris is a conservative.
President Elect Obama should fear roundhouse kicks.
It's not that surprising. He also thinks evolution is a lie and creationism should be taught in schools. The fact that Ann Coulter is on his side doesn't help his case any. Then again, he is just a celebrity, so I don't count his opinion as any better than the next guy just on account of who he is. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Well, /I/ didn't know before now.

Hirohiigo Togashi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Hirohiigo Togashi »

What, you didn't see the Huckabee commercials featuring Chuck Norris?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDUQW8LUMs8

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I don't live in a swing state, and I almost never watch TV.

But...ha! That was funny! :lol: