Oh lordy, look who crawled from the woodwork.

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Oh lordy, look who crawled from the woodwork.

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

How has everyone been?

*Sigh* The tragedy of my long absence, what I must have missed!

I hope I find everyone well, how fare the delightfully consistent Lunar Boards?
They said that on Saturday evening Arsenius used to turn his back to the setting sun and stretch out his hands towards heaven and pray until, at dawn on Sunday, the rising sun lit up his face, and then he sat down again.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Oh lordy, look who crawled from the woodwork.

Post by Kizyr »

Consistently slow!

Well, no, we have our ups and downs. It's sort of a slow-ish period at the moment, though.

So why you been so... inconspicuous? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I had to do a double-take for a second. You're definitely a familiar face that's good to see back.
-G1

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Well, I had a few very hectic months where I was moving about and had virtually no internet use save for my girlfriend though I just got along without it; that was the reason for my initial hiatus.

And by the time I had an internet connection I was working a new job which was commanding more than 50 hours/week and I was going to school. All of the sudden there was virtually no leisure time for me, especially relating to the internet which I realized was consuming far too much of my time.

By the time things slowed down, I had just forgotten about Lunar-Net. And with a reformatted computer which didn't save my bookmarks there was no real reminder of my pleasant time here.

Through a strange twist a couple of days ago I found a 3x5 card which had my old login info and I decided just today to post and see how the 'ol gang was doing. I couldn't believe it's been about a year and a half since I've been here.

That's the abridged version, anyway.
They said that on Saturday evening Arsenius used to turn his back to the setting sun and stretch out his hands towards heaven and pray until, at dawn on Sunday, the rising sun lit up his face, and then he sat down again.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Wow!

It's funny that I remember you first due to Mr. Burns's flapping hands. Then of course I remember your name. Welcome back!

It is a little slow. ^^;;; But hopefully sweet, like honey... with robotic ants wanting to get inside and seize it!
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Oh I remember you alright, how can I ever forget?!

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Good to see so many familiar faces, I'm glad you guys are still about. I had many a wonderful time here and am awfully glad I was able to make my way back.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

You made it back in very good time for the news then. I think that you finding that card was a sign from the god(s)(ses)(bigbang)(karma)(whatever)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Forgot to say hello earlier. Good to see you again!

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Alunissage!

Delightfully even-handed voice of reason if there ever were one.

*Fog of ignorance lifts* D'oh. I don't know why I haven't attempted to actually speak with any of you yet.

Kiz, G1, Sonic, Phyco, Alun; how have you all been? I hope all is well, or at the very least, all is tolerable.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Ah, things are well, at least for now. Well, outside of work at least. :) I'm still doing school and am preparing to move back out on my own. That concept is pretty frightening, really.

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

DeathBeforeDenial wrote:Good to see so many familiar faces, I'm glad you guys are still about. I had many a wonderful time here and am awfully glad I was able to make my way back.
Holy -Dragon Diamond-, no wwaaaaiiiiii!!! I was actually rummaging through some of the old posts and saw your avatar and was like, "What the french toast ever happened to him...?" SO frigg'n glad to have you back and know that things are well!!

<3

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

phyco126 wrote:Ah, things are well, at least for now. Well, outside of work at least. :) I'm still doing school and am preparing to move back out on my own. That concept is pretty frightening, really.
Wonderful.

I've long since forgotten, what's your major, and how far along are you in school?

Maru wrote:Holy -Dragon Diamond-, no wwaaaaiiiiii!!! I was actually rummaging through some of the old posts and saw your avatar and was like, "What the french toast ever happened to him...?" SO frigg'n glad to have you back and know that things are well!!

<3
Maru! Great to see you again. How've you been?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

DeathBeforeDenial wrote:
phyco126 wrote:Ah, things are well, at least for now. Well, outside of work at least. :) I'm still doing school and am preparing to move back out on my own. That concept is pretty frightening, really.
Wonderful.

I've long since forgotten, what's your major, and how far along are you in school?
My major is just plain old IT, and I'll be a junior this summer - fall quarter.

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

DeathBeforeDenial wrote:
Maru wrote:Holy -Dragon Diamond-, no wwaaaaiiiiii!!! I was actually rummaging through some of the old posts and saw your avatar and was like, "What the french toast ever happened to him...?" SO frigg'n glad to have you back and know that things are well!!

<3
Maru! Great to see you again. How've you been?
I've been wonderful! :) Out of college for a year, working independently as an art-eest, thinking about Graduate school for my MFA... Living the life! :) Check it: http://www.sarahhelenalbright.com (Shameless, I know.)

What have YOU been up to?

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Maru wrote:I've been wonderful! :) Out of college for a year, working independently as an art-eest, thinking about Graduate school for my MFA... Living the life! :) Check it: http://www.sarahhelenalbright.com (Shameless, I know.)

What have YOU been up to?
Awesome!

I've checked out your website and I like the small sample you have up. Hopefully I can see more at some point. My girlfriend (A fellow photographer) really liked the first half-dozen in your "Fine Art" section. Was it just experimenting with exposure and the addition of various lights, or something else (digital editing etc.)? Also good luck if you end up going back for your MA, that takes commitment.

As for me, I managed to save up a bunch of money from the sale of my truck for a much cheaper car, that, coupled with money I had been saving from this irritating but awesome job working A/V and show production put me in a place where I was able to quit my job and go back to school full-time.

It's was a scary couple of years however as my previous career aspirations of Firefighter went down the drain when I came to fully understand that a frighteningly large number of Firefighter candidates were arrogant, sexist, trash-talking meatheads. And thankfully I knew enough about myself to understand that if I pursued said job, then spending all that time with the aforementioned meatheads would in all likelihood transform me into a meathead as well.

So rather than being a firefighter, after 2 years of introspection and hearing the calls/suggestions of about a dozen different people all independent of one another giving me the same, or similar suggestions of what to do I decided to go back to school and major in history with the goal of becoming a High-School teacher (Lord help me, I know). What a great decision that was, every day I come home from class just excited about what I've been learning and thinking of ways to use it in future classes which I'll be teaching.

Other than that, I'm still with my wonderful girlfriend of 9, count 'em 9 years (10 this November). *Sigh* That just reminds me of how much I want to get married, but sadly both of us being poor college students doesn't really pay the bills right now, so we're forced to put it off. And aside from a big trip into Northern California, Oregon and Washington the first week in June and my first tattoo coming up in late June there's really not much else to speak of. Though I'll admit my mind bears great resemblance to an old man's in its capacity for memory, but I prattle on.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

You mean you remember everything that happened in the days of your youth but not whether you've had lunch?

Firefighter to history (I presume?) teacher... quite a change. But it sounds like the right one, if you're looking forward to it so much. History and critical thinking go hand in hand from an analysis perspective, and heaven knows the world could use more training in the latter.

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Alunissage wrote:You mean you remember everything that happened in the days of your youth but not whether you've had lunch?
Who are you people? And where's my soup!?
Alunissage wrote:Firefighter to history (I presume?) teacher... quite a change. But it sounds like the right one, if you're looking forward to it so much. History and critical thinking go hand in hand from an analysis perspective, and heaven knows the world could use more training in the latter.
That is certainly what I hope to bring as a teacher, lack of critical thinking, especially in the fast-food consumer culture of today (stretching back about 30 years) I find quite disappointing.

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

DeathBeforeDenial wrote:I've checked out your website and I like the small sample you have up. Hopefully I can see more at some point. My girlfriend (A fellow photographer) really liked the first half-dozen in your "Fine Art" section. Was it just experimenting with exposure and the addition of various lights, or something else (digital editing etc.)? Also good luck if you end up going back for your MA, that takes commitment.
Painting with light, only color editing in photoshop. :) The first half-dozen are from my senior Thesis, which got me a few school and city-wide awards. :D Ballaaaaaahhh! Tell the lady-friend I said thank you. ;)
DeathBeforeDenial wrote:As for me, I managed to save up a bunch of money from the sale of my truck for a much cheaper car, that, coupled with money I had been saving from this irritating but awesome job working A/V and show production put me in a place where I was able to quit my job and go back to school full-time.

It's was a scary couple of years however as my previous career aspirations of Firefighter went down the drain when I came to fully understand that a frighteningly large number of Firefighter candidates were arrogant, sexist, trash-talking meatheads. And thankfully I knew enough about myself to understand that if I pursued said job, then spending all that time with the aforementioned meatheads would in all likelihood transform me into a meathead as well.

So rather than being a firefighter, after 2 years of introspection and hearing the calls/suggestions of about a dozen different people all independent of one another giving me the same, or similar suggestions of what to do I decided to go back to school and major in history with the goal of becoming a High-School teacher (Lord help me, I know). What a great decision that was, every day I come home from class just excited about what I've been learning and thinking of ways to use it in future classes which I'll be teaching.
Holy guacamole. Like Alun said, quite the switch! What would you teach in school? The world needs more dedicated teachers, I tell ya... It seems that anyone with the desire can save people from fires (meatheads or not), but not everyone can educate and do it well. The best of luck, that's so awesome!
DeathBeforeDenial wrote:Other than that, I'm still with my wonderful girlfriend of 9, count 'em 9 years (10 this November). *Sigh* That just reminds me of how much I want to get married, but sadly both of us being poor college students doesn't really pay the bills right now, so we're forced to put it off. And aside from a big trip into Northern California, Oregon and Washington the first week in June and my first tattoo coming up in late June there's really not much else to speak of. Though I'll admit my mind bears great resemblance to an old man's in its capacity for memory, but I prattle on.
Holy -Dragon Diamond-, almost 10 years?? That's amazing!! Congratulations, man! :) Finances are blegh.