So, I had an interesting day...

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

So, I had an interesting day...

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm in France, as I've probably said a million times. We're in a gorgeous town called Chamonix (pronounced shaw-moe-nee) which is up in the Alps in the far eastern part of France miles from both the Italian and Swiss borders. Today, in the morning, we took a steam train higher up into the mountains (we're on the edge of Mont Blanc, the tallest in Europe) and then hiked up to Mer de Glace. Mer de Glace is the second longest glacier in Europe. Something like 8-9 miles long. Down near the bottom of the glacier, the French have put up something called an ice cave. It's a cave that they redig into the glacier every year in the summer. We were the first people in that morning, as we hiked in before the cable cars were running down to it. Anyways, as we walked in and this music starts that's weirdly familiar. Then it hit me... Thousands of feet above sea level they're playing the Chrono Cross soundtrack inside the second largest glacier on the European continent.

http://fr.images.search.yahoo.com/searc ... =yfp-t-501

There if you want to see some pictures of the ice cave. Obviously I'm taking my own but still working on it.

Oh, and seriously, as much as I love my Colorado, the mountains here are a whole 'nother level. Colorado still has my favorite mountain lakes, but the mountains and glaciers here in the Alps, and just how green it is... wow.
-G1

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: So, I had an interesting day...

Post by Monde Luna »

That is awesome I am officially jealous! I don't think I ever told you guys but I am a lover of caves of all types. :D It will be nice to see your pictures when they get posted.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Don't forget, while you're in that cave you have to bait the Albino Baboons into dashing into the ice blocks to break them so you can get to the treasure chests.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Did you find the Frozen Flame?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

There are four treasures on opposite corners of the cave. Once you retrieve those, the way forward should open.

Good luck with the Dragon Fiend! I'll be waiting for you on the other end.

And... I don't like waiting. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Mmm, I love caves too. But obviously the TSS dragon cave music is appropriate there. ^_^

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Kizyr wrote:There are four treasures on opposite corners of the cave. Once you retrieve those, the way forward should open.

HAAAAAAAAA!!!

Very nice one Kizyr :P
You wouldn't mind us building up some levels first, right?

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Alunissage wrote:Mmm, I love caves too. But obviously the TSS dragon cave music is appropriate there. ^_^
In fairness, doesn't nearly every RPG have an ice cave?

I really love the music of Chrono Cross. I think it was probably the best part of the game.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It just seemed so strange. Some French bloke apparently liked Chrono Cross' music and thought it fitting in an glacier cave high in the mountains. Oh, and yes, I'm hoping for awe-insipiring photos. The only reason I'm not out shooting right now is because it's raining. I'm going to miss out on a hike I wanted to do to shoot more of the other glacier.
-G1

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

I thought you we're kidding about the CC music. That is pretty awesome.

Remind's me of when I was on the mission in Utah and walked into a man's home who was doing photography of a woman for a magazine and to help get her in the mood he had some sensual music playing in the background. When I told him it was the music from Tidal Tempest Bad Future from Sonic CD(USA), he just kind of gave me a blank look... Apparently someone gave him a cd of music and had no idea... Sure made me smile though, watching a woman pose with Sonic music in the background. :?

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Wow! I'm picturing what it must be like to be there. It must be breathtaking with the CC music! :D
Kizyr wrote:There are four treasures on opposite corners of the cave. Once you retrieve those, the way forward should open.

I ALWAYS speed through that cave. xD <333
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

All this talk of ice caves makes me want to play Ocarina of Time, i think i was the perfect age when i first played that game it worked its magic on me. anyways back to the point you have to post pics of those caves, im a huge fan of that kinda stuff planet earth on blu ray makes me blow my load

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

LuNaRtIc wrote:Wow! I'm picturing what it must be like to be there. It must be breathtaking with the CC music! :D
It really was. It's hard to explain. I'll probably try and post some of the single pictures of the cave when I get back next week.
exigence wrote:anyways back to the point you have to post pics of those caves, im a huge fan of that kinda stuff planet earth on blu ray
Well, technically it's a man-made cave, rather than natural. Every year they carve out a cave in the glacier in early May. I have pictures from the outside that show the glacier's movement too, as each year the cave entrance moves 30 feet or so down to the glacier's path.

Still, it's quite interesting and gave that area a unique feel. In fact, those 2 days in France have been my favorite out of the trip. Lauterbrunnen in Switzerland has probably had the most gorgeous scenery (waterfalls literally everywhere) but France just had a wonderful charm to it. I really think I'd like to come back and make a vacation out of France and Italy next time.
-G1

Undine
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Undine »

So cool! I looked into an ice cave on a glacier in Iceland, but it was natural and therefore not secure, so I was too chicken to go in.
Werefrog wrote:Did you find the Frozen Flame?
Yeah G1, better let me know when you find it. =P

I wonder who proposed playing that music, or if they didn't try to explain what it was to whomever's in charge? They're my hero though...

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Is this the song we're talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsdc22JnzXw

I pesonally find skies of arcadia's "Ice dungeon" the best cave theme ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdoj7IXm7jg

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

[quote="WD RPG WD"]Is this the song we're talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsdc22JnzXw

"Frozen Flame" is my favorite CC track of all time! <3
Can't wait to see your pictures G1. :3
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

For some reason I alway's like less popular song's from games. "Jellyfish Sea" was my favorite from CC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5i_5hSMKk

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

It's always awesome to hear video game music out on the open.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

i haven't played Chrono Cross, it looks to be reasonably priced on ebay is it worth checking out?

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

How well priced is it? It's probably worth about 20 dollars. It's a pretty good game with some amazing music, but it has its flaws (lack of character development and a plot that tries too hard to be deep).