Dungeons and Dragons

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Dungeons and Dragons

Post by Ardent Fox »

This is probably in the wrong place as there is a place for roleplaying talk further down the board, but I wasn't certain. Has anyone here by chance played the new 4th Edition? I'm an old 2nd Edition man myself, but I've heard mixed things about 4th. I wasn't sure if anyone here has played a game of it to let me know how it runs. I've read the books but I'm also wondering if they're worth buying and investing money into.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Dungeons and Dragons

Post by Kizyr »

I've played both 3.5 and 4th edition. I actually really like 4th edition--my main compliment is the entire skills/abilities system they have now. Basically, before it felt like only Sorcerers/Wizards did anything other than attack every turn; now, every class has a "bag of tricks" that makes regular combat more interesting. They've simplified the abilities system too to where you don't feel like you have to spread yourself so thin.

On balance, I actually prefer it to 3.5. It's easier to get into, and can be more interesting to play. But all the same, my main focus is always on plot and story over combat mechanics, so I'd be willing to play any version if the GM crafts a story that's fun to play.

By the way, my favorite system is still the Serenity RPG. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

I actually GM'd a game of the Serenity RPG. Both characters wound up rolling critical failures on grenade throws and blowing each other up. It was good times.

It's good to hear they're simplifying things for people to get into it easier, i.e. giving everyone a piece of the action in combat. However, I kinda liked the combat 2nd and 3rd introduced. I have very limited experience in 3.5 simply out of the fact I didn't bother to buy the books. Only got a players guide in a starter set someone got me for Christmas. My games were always 2nd and maybe two games of 3rd when it first came out.

Mutants and Masterminds was another really fun game, especially coming out of the grind of City of Heroes but still wanting that superhero flair.

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

D&D is something I have wanted to live (cuz it's not a game, it's life, so i understand) for a long time now. I just talked to a cousin of mine that is enrolled at Western Kentucky University. She plays with a group of 30-40 people. She told me that she liked the previous version better...don't remember why... :)
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Ah, D&D. I played once with some friends ages ago, like, six or so years I think? It was a blast. Id love to pick it up again, but I cant find anyone to play with. I remember we plotted out a prestige class for me, a drow warrior deemed the "Assailant of the Underdark". Good times.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Yeah, it's tough finding people around here too. You almost need to know a guy who knows a guy.

I remember my first character was a barbarian. I'd rolled 18 to be set in strength. He broke artifacts on accident and lost damn near every single weapon he ever owned either due to his strength, critical failure or just out of the DM's sheer sadistic malevolence.

meg
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by meg »

my group switched to 4.0 when we started a new campaign.

i miss 3.5. i play a thief, and the character was effectively nerfed in the new edition. i'm sort of uncertain how to handle her now--just because, if you want to stay true to character, it is literally impossible to have a good thief that is also intelligent. there's just no reason to put any points there. are you supposed to play them like they're idiots? in 3.5, my character sheet had an 18 int.

they also terfed the individual thief skills and lumped them all under one thing. i can no longer cause epic mischief.

but my group seems pretty into 4.0. so. meh.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Ew. That's not good to hear for the theif. I had a pirate (thief) character for a campaign once. Almost every skill he had required some kind of cunning (ie Int.). Dexterity, Intelligence and Charisma I can see being useful to a theif.