illegal immigration

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: illegal immigration

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I mean people aren't as happy with large amounts of immigration the way they used to be.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

And by "people" you mean...?

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:I mean people aren't as happy with large amounts of immigration the way they used to be.
This is not factual. A lot of people were not happy with the Irish immigrants when they came. They were not happy when the Italians came. And now that a lot of immigrants have come from Latin America and Asia, they still aren't happy.

When people have the immigration debate, it's often brought up that we're "a nation of immigrants." While that is true, historically we're also a nation of xenophobic bigots. Knowing this is also a key to the current debate (maybe more so than knowing that we're a nation of immigrants). Much of the arguments against immigration are bigoted if you just look below the surface. The arguments tend to bemoan the fact that we're becoming less "American" (which should either really be read as either "less European" or probably "white"). The best we can do is expose the bigotry and hope that the American people will be less likely to embrace the arguments when we do.

Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Ruby »

To be fair, most nations are full of xenophobic bigots. Encouraging xenophobia is generally how you get a group of people to identify themselves as a nation. IE: Our nation is great! Those other nations suck! People not in our nation suck!

But yes, most of the rules against illegal immigration usually boil down to xenophobia, because generally whenever you suggest removing the barriers to immigration so those people could come here legally and they really have left to moan about is "But I don't want them here."

Oh, and um, B_G is just going to repeat the same thing over and over again in an attempt to get a rise out of you. He exists to bait people and get people upset. Or more commonly referred to, as a troll, so don't feed him and just ignore what he says. :lol: Just keep your responses to the other people here you actually might get to have a meaningful discussion with.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I don't see me just repeating myself. I do enjoy the humorous response, but I am definitely interested in the actual discussion that comes of it.