Free Health Care for everyone!

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Jenner
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Free Health Care for everyone!

Post by Jenner »

Solana wrote: That doesn't kick in for a few years?! :shock: Better late than never, I guess. I do hope that you're right on the 'responding early' portion, though. (Trying to search for a new job and insurance to cover for the three month period with fibromyalgia is no easy task, but it will be easier once this kicks in.)
Oh Solana, my mom has Fibromyalgia and its one of the primary reasons why she's been trapped at her miserable job in Assisted Living because no insurance company will give her a decent price. I hear its beyond painful, I hope you're alright.

Maybe he can move towards sneaking in a public option once everything is settled.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Solana
Student of Vane

Post by Solana »

Really? Wow, small world.

The pain is only one of a ton of symptoms, but I think mine is lighter compared to most. (Think of having a stalker armed with acid, a baseball bat, and a needle, and every so often letting you have it with one or more out of nowhere. Also being tired pretty much all the time.) I still work full-time in retail for now but have a stool to sit on and can take breaks when needed. I can also still do some of my bellydance if I take it easy 8-) , but I spend plenty of time resting.

Does your mom also have problems with eating sugar? If you or she has any questions about new symptoms or just wants to talk or vent or compare notes, let me know, okay? We fibromites have to stick together. :)
This is either madness, or brilliance- Will Turner
It's remarkable how often those traits coincide- Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, while there may be some hardship exemptions, the idea that perhaps at some point in my life I may be fined or imprisoned because I fell through the cracks is very... well, it pretty much means its one more freedom that I no longer have. Right now, I don't know how everything will work, nor do I know of the true implications. So I'm on a wait an see hold before I form any opinion. Though this is really my only concern.

I'm glad that they are putting an end at discriminating against people with pre-existing conditions (aka, me, I have a lot of conditions). Its what made getting insurance moot for the longest time. Why pay xx amount a month for something I can't even use? Its like, getting cable and internet with no TV or computer (or I guess, more akin to getting a warranty for something that doesn't work as it is, but the warranty won't cover it).

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Solana wrote:Really? Wow, small world.

The pain is only one of a ton of symptoms, but I think mine is lighter compared to most. (Think of having a stalker armed with acid, a baseball bat, and a needle, and every so often letting you have it with one or more out of nowhere. Also being tired pretty much all the time.) I still work full-time in retail for now but have a stool to sit on and can take breaks when needed. I can also still do some of my bellydance if I take it easy 8-) , but I spend plenty of time resting.

Does your mom also have problems with eating sugar? If you or she has any questions about new symptoms or just wants to talk or vent or compare notes, let me know, okay? We fibromites have to stick together. :)
Mom has trouble with the internet (she's OLD, technology is scary.) But, she did have some stuff to say mainly that Fibro seems to carry a lot of piggy backers with it. (It seems to come hand-in-hand or in quick succession with other Bad Health -Dragon Diamond-) your issue eating sugar may be piggybacking as fibro often correlates to pseudo diabetes. Mom's been using lyrica to deal with her issue, but she is afraid of it because lyrica is extremely addictive, her pain, unlike yours, is very bad and I often see her limping when I see her. (I have brief weekly interactions with my mother, which I prefer to maintain brief and weekly due to some bad history between the two of us that does not belong here.) She doesn't know what to do about the pain other than suck it up. :/
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Solana
Student of Vane

Post by Solana »

Yes, fibro does have many buddies that it likes to invite in. (One of my 'guardian angel' customers at work has sixteen other disorders with it.) If the Lyrica makes her nervous, there are other options. Some folk take Cymbalta, a new med called Savella was just approved this past year, but I like tramadol. The only side effect I've had is a slight euphoric feeling. A lot of people also take things to help get a better night's sleep, which makes a huge difference overall.

Other things that can help are range-of-motion stretches (great in the morning and evening), hot baths with Epsom salts, heating pads, heated mattress pads (delicious in the winter) or massages. I love getting a back treatment at the Aveda school- it's done by a student, but mine was really careful and did lighten the pressure when I explained about the fibro, and it's much cheaper. Even those little rubber-tipped massagers that come in bath sets feel really great, and don't need a lot of pressure from whoever's using it.

If she changes her mind about Internet, here's a site that has some good information and a wonderfully informative forum. There are plenty of other folk on here who come to ask questions or find a good place for a rant.

http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/
This is either madness, or brilliance- Will Turner
It's remarkable how often those traits coincide- Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:Well, while there may be some hardship exemptions, the idea that perhaps at some point in my life I may be fined or imprisoned because I fell through the cracks is very... well, it pretty much means its one more freedom that I no longer have. Right now, I don't know how everything will work, nor do I know of the true implications. So I'm on a wait an see hold before I form any opinion. Though this is really my only concern.
There's no imprisonment in any conceivable form. It's administered as a tax, so you'd have to file taxes anyway for it, which would be the same way they'd know if you're able to afford it or not.

It's designed specifically to address this problem, so there're things in place to make sure it doesn't punish people who just can't afford it, and only people who elect not to get it because they think they'll never need it.

I'd like to go into more detail but I'm a little distracted right now. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Ah, okay then. Well heck, if taxing it is all that happens...

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."