Moving away from home

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Moving away from home

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

Today my Boyfriend and I are moving into a house. We've been slowly moving his stuff there over the past 2 weeks, and today is the last day. I still have to go back home (six hours away) to get my stuff, but i'll still be living there with him, I'm a little nervous even though I've been staying with him for almost 2 months now. One thing i don't like about moving is that, he's been living in my cousin's basement up till now, and when he's at work and i just got bored or lonely i could just go upstairs to visit my cousin and her baby, but now I'll be alone in a house i don't know in a town i don't know, with my cousin a 20 minute drive away and i have no car or license for that matter. I know things will get better once we get settled, and i get a job, but I'm still a little nervous. and I've still yet to tell my Grandparents and Dad that I'm moving in with him but i think they all assume that because they keep asking me if i found a job yet.

What was it like for you guys when you first moved out?

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Moving away from home

Post by Ardent Fox »

I actually got left alone at home when my dad moved out to find a job. The house, however, was paid for so the only bills I had were electric, my phone and internet. It was nice until I had to move out because he was putting it up on the market. Then I had to find a place to move into with roommates. I mean, I was nervous since I'd only ever lived with my dad, but whatever. Just taught me to grow up a little bit earlier.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I wasn't nervous the first time, rather I was super excited.

The second time I was super nervous and unsure, but I was quick to get used to it and now I enjoy every second of it (well, aside from the times I get a little lonely).

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

lnrSaxon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lnrSaxon »

When I first moved into the dorms for college, I was a mixture of excited and repulsed. O_o I had never lived apart from my mom, and I had never lived outside of California since I was 3. There were lots of tears shed at the beginning.

Later on, when I moved back to CA, I was kicked out of the apartment by my mom's new boyfriend, so I was more or less PO'd at how badly I'd been shafted, and I went on like that for a really long time. I didn't really have time to feel anything at this point. All I could do was get shelter and get work and start taking care of myself. Life had dealt me a crappy hand, but it wasn't until years later when I was living in an apartment with three awesome girls that I realized, no matter how difficult things were when I was jumping around from garage to room to room in multiple houses, I always had a roof over my head. God really watched over me in all this and really got me through those times. I lived 2 hours away from work and school and had to bus multiple buses to get to those places, and I was REALLY lonely for a while, but friends would come out to hang out with me, or I'd get to them somehow.

At this point, I've moved 14 times in 5 years, and I really hope not to have to do it again anytime soon. >_<" heh.

Hang tough.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I lived in the dorms all through college. Yeah, when I first moved in it was a little lonely (I didn't ever have a roommate), but I adjusted pretty soon. In fact, save for the lack of kitchen, I was happy. Then again, the most I want is space for my books, my games, and myself.

When I first moved to Atlanta over two years ago, I moved with my fiancee at the time, L. She was in the same position you were, looking for work in an unfamiliar place. She did find work, but moved back home after six months for financial reasons. Those months were pretty good overall. She went in already knowing that she would eventually leave Atlanta for school, so she didn't make very much of an effort to make new friends in Atlanta. As a consequence, she never grew to like Atlanta, the place where I'll be for a few years yet. That, combined with an on-again-off-again depression, were two things that led to the end of our relationship months after she moved out.

I'll say again - those months were pretty good. There's no guarantee that this will work out. My advice is to give it a good effort all around, finding a job, joining groups or making friends, and so on. Stave depression away.

I hope it turns out great. At the same time, don't be afraid to admit that it isn't working out.

Sorry to be the dour face here. ^^;;;
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

For me moving out kind of felt like a gradual process since I still spent the summers at my parents' house when I was in college. When I first moved out for reals it was certainly nice in many ways to have the freedom in living in my own place, but I also felt kind of isolated since the people I ended up making friends with pretty much all lived in a different part of town. After that first year I was sick of feeling lonely so I moved into a house with several roommates. It's been a mostly positive experience (and certainly saved me some money) but now I'm getting a little tired of this living arrangement and want to move on. Fortunately, that problem is pretty much solving itself since I'm getting married in the summer and naturally the two of us will be getting a place together then.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

wow it sounds like you've had a hard couple of years lnrSaxon, i hope things are better for you now, or get better soon.

So far everything has been good, he's just been a little grumpy because he's tired and a little stressed because he's worked all this week and now has to work this weekend, and all of next week so we haven't really been able to unpack and set stuff up, our kitchen is almost unusable. I would do it but i have no clue where most of the stuff would go, and some of his grandpa's stuff is still here that his mom has to help us find a place for. But other then that its been good, better then i expected, and im happy i didn't chicken out and go back home. I just need to find a job soon. My life is changing, and its good, and it's all thanks to him.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

I ran away from home at 15-16 and joined the Job Corp. It was basically child slavery and indentured servitude, corrupt as all get out. I wisely pussied and and returned to my screwed up family only to have the cops called on me (for my mother's assault on ME) a handful of years later. I went through probation and got subsidized housing. I've been scraping by, paycheck to paycheck since 2005. I've had a schlew of terrible room mates and now I'm settling in with Kizyr (who I've always wanted to be with.) If I don't flip out and self destruct it I may just get a happy ending.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Jenner, you should turn your life into a memoir. It will only be a matter of time until it becomes an Oprah book club book and then a Lifetime original movie. Then, you will be set.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

It also makes me think about when I deployed the first time to go to Afghanistan. Then I was moving away from everything I'd ever felt comfortable with and going to someplace very uncomfortable. A cot, leaky roof, broken heater, cold showers. Everything there screamed fun times.

lnrSaxon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lnrSaxon »

Kaiya-Sky wrote:wow it sounds like you've had a hard couple of years lnrSaxon, i hope things are better for you now, or get better soon.
I'm doing well cuz God is good, and He's gotten me this far. ^^ Looking forward to seeing where we'll go in the future no matter how difficult it might be!

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I still live at home >:]
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Jenner it does sound like your life would make a great lifetime movie. Werefrog has good financial advice for you.

As for me I moved out of my parents house when I was 17 to finish H.S. (they moved during my senior year). I stayed at my friends house which was almost as interesting as my house. Then I moved back to my parents house and lived there for a few months until I turned 18. On my birthday I moved back into my friends house, and I lived w/ her and her family for 2 years until I got married.

It was rough cuz we were dirt poor, I'm talking top ramen and mac and cheese living. But let me tell you getting out of my parents house was the best thing I ever did. We all get along better now which is great. Some of the best years of my life where those dirt poor years in that apartment eating top ramen, life was so exciting.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Werefrog wrote:Jenner, you should turn your life into a memoir. It will only be a matter of time until it becomes an Oprah book club book and then a Lifetime original movie. Then, you will be set.
Monde Luna wrote:Jenner it does sound like your life would make a great lifetime movie. Werefrog has good financial advice for you.
This is an awful idea! Lifetime movies have a rule that all featured men must be ruthless woman-hating bastards... I don't really like the sound of that...
Jenner wrote:I've had a schlew of terrible room mates and now I'm settling in with Kizyr (who I've always wanted to be with.) If I don't flip out and self destruct it I may just get a happy ending.
Please don't flip out; you're the key to my happy ending, too. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Kizyr wrote:
Werefrog wrote:Jenner, you should turn your life into a memoir. It will only be a matter of time until it becomes an Oprah book club book and then a Lifetime original movie. Then, you will be set.
Monde Luna wrote:Jenner it does sound like your life would make a great lifetime movie. Werefrog has good financial advice for you.
This is an awful idea! Lifetime movies have a rule that all featured men must be ruthless woman-hating bastards... I don't really like the sound of that...
Good point... didn't think of that.
Jenner wrote:I've had a schlew of terrible room mates and now I'm settling in with Kizyr (who I've always wanted to be with.) If I don't flip out and self destruct it I may just get a happy ending.
Kizyr wrote: Please don't flip out; you're the key to my happy ending, too. KF
Awww so cute!

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Despite the cuteness of Kizyr and Jenner's apparent "Jim and Pam" ("Tim and Dawn") relationship, be forewarned this may be a long setup for an April Fools' joke.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Wouldn't this be the longest April Fool's joke in Lunar-Net history?

Kitdra
Student of Vane

Post by Kitdra »

I'm still living with my mom...... not planning to go anywhere anytime soon... (Exspecialy with the type of job I got :p)

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Monde Luna wrote:Wouldn't this be the longest April Fool's joke in Lunar-Net history?
Not yet. We've set up stuff a year in advance before. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Kizyr wrote:
Monde Luna wrote:Wouldn't this be the longest April Fool's joke in Lunar-Net history?
Not yet. We've set up stuff a year in advance before. KF
How naughty