Waiting for the President

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Waiting for the President

Post by Monde Luna »

So Bin Laden is dead... Geraldo Rivera accidentally said Obama is dead, and the Fox News headline said Usama Bin Laden is dead. It's going to be an interesting night.

I'm still shooting for world peace, it's kind of sad when people rejoice over someones death... even if they are terrible people.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Waiting for the President

Post by Ardent Fox »

I rejoice, I served in Afghanistan and watched too many of people under me die because of that guy. To hell with him.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I'm sure the great majority of US citizens are and will continue to for some time. It's kind of crazy that it took 10 years to get this guy.

I just hope that this doesn't spark more conflict. I have a friend in the Army currently stationed in Afganistan I just hope she stays safe. And of course Ardent thank you for your service, I meant that 100%.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

I'm glad too see him gone. It's a shame it wasn't done sooner. Though, like Monde Luna stated, it may cause more conflict...I really hope that doesn't happen. Too many people have died over there already and I'd hate for there to be more lives lost.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I usually don't celebrate when people are killed, but in this case I think I'll make an exception.
-Nobi

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

This is going to be a good year I hope. It certainly started out badly and has been getting worse. Perhaps we have reached the bottom of the barrel and its only better from here.

I think our president will be reelected.

Osama Bin Laden is one person I'm pretty sure is in Hell right now.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Hm, this is a good development, I think.

I saw Geraldo's reporting for all of about 2 minutes before it got too comical to watch, then switched it back to CNN, ABC, etc., until I got tired of news anchors talking to one another and repeating the same thing. I'll watch the recording of the press conference later today. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Yeah, I was celebrating most of the night last night because of it. The large crowds that formed in Time Square, Ground Zero, and the White House was epic, especially when it was 2 AM and the crowds remained celebrating. Booya, hope that guy burns in hell!

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

So the Prince got married and the bad guy is dead.
It's been a real Disney weekend! D:
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

If I could 'like' your post Shannon, I would. Haha.
-G1

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Let's hope Disney doesn't get into current events anytime soon. :P
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

JediLeroy
Lostest Boy

Post by JediLeroy »

Usama Bin Laden
That's an acceptable spelling of his name. Wiki sez:
There is no universally accepted standard for transliterating Arabic words and Arabic names into English;[9] bin Laden's name was most frequently rendered "Osama bin Laden". The FBI and CIA, as well as other U.S. governmental agencies, have used either "Usama bin Laden" or "Usama bin Ladin", both of which may be abbreviated as "UBL".
So if yours was a jab at Fox News... Dot, dot, dot.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

JediLeroy wrote:
Usama Bin Laden
That's an acceptable spelling of his name. Wiki sez:
There is no universally accepted standard for transliterating Arabic words and Arabic names into English;[9] bin Laden's name was most frequently rendered "Osama bin Laden". The FBI and CIA, as well as other U.S. governmental agencies, have used either "Usama bin Laden" or "Usama bin Ladin", both of which may be abbreviated as "UBL".
So if yours was a jab at Fox News... Dot, dot, dot.
Obviously not a very serious jab at Fox News since I was watching it after all. If I was anti Fox News I wouldn't watch the station. My point was the general public knows Osama Bin Laden as Osama not Usama. And Fox News usually (I can't say always anymore) refers to him as Osama Bin Laden. The ticker repeatedly referred to him as Osama, there was a lack of continuity. That being said I just thought it was a hurried typo and found it funny. I also found all the videos of the newscasters confusing Osama and Obama to be humorous.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention that Usama is also an accepted way of spelling his name. I always like to learn something new. However Fox News was reporting to the general public not the CIA, FBI or other government agencies. To us by and large his is known as Osama. I could have been watching any station that night and I probably would have posted a similar post about their news cast but I watched Fox.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

The more hilarious Fox typo was when the crawler said, "Obama bin Laden is dead." Freudian slip? (Note... I didn't see this on Fox live, but I've heard about it on several political blogs and saw a screenshot.)

This was definitely for the best. Despite my personal belief in nonviolence, I realize that there are times when it is necessary, and this was definitely one of them.