This Christmas: The Wham! Challenge

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

This Christmas: The Wham! Challenge

Post by Kizyr »

Hi everyone! I thought I'd bring over a challenge that I first heard about over on the OCReMix forums here. Briefly put, it's The Wham! Challenge, and the rules are pretty simple. Basically, the song "Last Christmas" by Wham! is played, well, everywhere. The goal is to go the entire Christmas season without once hearing it -- when you do, that's when you've been Whammed.

So here are the rules:
  • From 12:00am on November 23rd (the Friday after Thanksgiving -- so that's midnight tonight), until 12:00am December 25th (Christmas Day), you cannot hear any part of the song Last Christmas by Wham! That means if you hear it tonight before midnight, or on Christmas Day, you're fine; any time between then, you've lost.
  • Only the actual song counts. Any remixes or covers, hearing someone sing it in person (unless it's George Michael), or hearing a muzak or instrumental version, doesn't cost you the game.
  • Even if you hear just a few seconds of the song, as soon as you recognize it as Last Christmas, you've lost.
Remember that it doesn't matter how or where you hear the song. If it's on the radio, in a mall over the loudspeaker, or Jenner tricks you into clicking a YouTube link, you still lose. Once you lose, post in this thread to let us know when you've been Whammed.

Let's go! KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: This Christmas: The Wham! Challenge

Post by Werefrog »

Challenge accepted. I was at the supermarket yesterday and somehow didn't hear this song (the only song I actually remember was that Christmasy Joni Mitchell song off Blue). Last Christmas I gave you my heart. Something, something, something.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Considering that I work in Hallmark in a mall, where we not only are playing Christmas music in the store, but the mall is also now playing Christmas music, I already know that there is no way I can even begin to do this challenge. XD

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I actually don't recognize this song by its name, though I'm sure I've heard it before. I've looked up the lyrics now, to have a reasonable chance of recognizing it.

Challenge accepted.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gmARGvPlI Click this link for an amazing Christmas song, Kizyr.

I'm in.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Okay, so far so good. Made it to the grocery store without hearing it. The next challenge is going to be school. They listen to an easy listening station at lunch, and I don't want to isolate myself for a silly Internet contest. We'll have to see how this works.

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

That was quick.. I'm out. ::shrugs::

parappa
Lyton Singer

Post by parappa »

This is an awesome idea. I'll give it a try. I don't expect to last long, though.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

That's impossible and unfair!! :lol: How can anyone avoid this song?
It should be 3 to 5 seconds maximum of playing before losing so you have time to avoid and run FAR.
I hadnt heard it yet until i clicked a link a few seconds ago. *sigh* Does it count?

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

jay_are wrote:That's impossible and unfair!! :lol: How can anyone avoid this song?
It should be 3 to 5 seconds maximum of playing before losing so you have time to avoid and run FAR.
I hadnt heard it yet until i clicked a link a few seconds ago. *sigh* Does it count?
Did you hear it? If you did, it counts. Until Christmas, I'll be muting my computer every time I click on a link on this site.

Don't feel bad. I don't expect to last very long once I go back to school tomorrow. So how long until Jenner makes this Kizyr's ringtone? Sleep with one eye open, Kizyr.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Werefrog wrote: Did you hear it? If you did, it counts. Until Christmas, I'll be muting my computer every time I click on a link on this site.
Yeah I did for 2 seconds just to recognize it, because see, I needed to make sure what song (or version) it was first. I didn't remember the artist for this song... :cry:

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Indeed. I think I can guarantee a win for this as I have no idea what this song is. :P So, no chance of recognizing it.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Addenda, just for this contest:
1) You can listen to the song once and only once via the above link just so that you can recognize it.
2) You have to be able to recognize the song (meaning you have to have heard it at least once some time in the past) to join

There, that should improve it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Good! Yeah I know this song VERY well, even hearing less than a second.

And I dont like it. :lol:

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

So I'll be trying to avoid one of the few Christmas songs I like??

...Challenge accepted.
「まあいいけど。」

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

I hope that i don't have to listen to that song at all this year, so I'm in! I'm usually good at avoiding Christmas music.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I'm doing pretty well!

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Every time I put the radio on scan, it's like roulette. I've heard a few Christmas songs, but not that one.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I don't listen to the radio, but this is how it is when I'm at the grocery store.

WhiteKnightLeo
Red Dragon Priest

Post by WhiteKnightLeo »

I made it until noon on 12/5 -_-....playing the radio while making crafts with students in my Sp.Ed. class!