DO YOU KNOW WHERE TIME HAS GONE

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

DO YOU KNOW WHERE TIME HAS GONE

Post by Sonic# »

This MIDI was made 10 years ago. For a game released over 15 years ago. ( http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/se ... -ocean.mid )

2003 was ten years ago. That's how math works. Time is relentless. Where were you in 2003?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Re: DO YOU KNOW WHERE TIME HAS GONE

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Oh, good old MIDIS! I remember back when that was the only music I had to listen to on my computer (unless I was playing a CD). I would browse VGMusic looking for new MIDIs all the time.

Ahh 2003. I would have been a 6th grader in the spring, and a 7th grader in the fall. 2003 was the year I actually met and became best friends with my current best friend, so 2003 was a good year! And...I just realized I've been best friends with my best friend for 10 years now. O__o

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Pretty sure MIDIs were on their way out even in 2003. Man we're old. But, just to bring some Lunar relevance:
http://www.lunar-net.com/multimedia/midis.php

We still have a MIDI section!

And in 2003, I was close to finishing college. That makes me feel even older...
-G1

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Oh yeah, by 2003, I was grabbing MP3s left and right. OCRemix was around by then and had a good selection. That's what makes me feel old, in part - MIDIs were old then, and someone was still making them.

(One Vectorman song I saw on there - 2008. This makes me happy.)

As for actual age, I'm somewhere between the two of you. I was in high school. I'm not sure exactly what I played that year - but I do remember reading all of Don Quixote. My best friends from then are living in very different places now. I never imagined being where I am now.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Sad thing for me is that during 2003, the only time I could listen to MP3s was at the library. I still had a horrible computer with a 1GB hard drive at that time and so MIDIs were still the only things I could listen to. It wouldn't be until the end of 2004, early 2005 that I'd get a new computer, and that was only because the old one was so horribly slow and dying. Once 2005 hit, I went MP3 crazy. :P

Old_School
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Old_School »

GhaleonOne wrote:Pretty sure MIDIs were on their way out even in 2003. Man we're old. But, just to bring some Lunar relevance:
http://www.lunar-net.com/multimedia/midis.php

We still have a MIDI section!

And in 2003, I was close to finishing college. That makes me feel even older...
In 2003, I was 19 and taking my first college classes. I'm starting to feel kind-of old too.

parappa
Lyton Singer

Post by parappa »

Old_School wrote:
GhaleonOne wrote:And in 2003, I was close to finishing college. That makes me feel even older...
In 2003, I was 19 and taking my first college classes. I'm starting to feel kind-of old too.
In 2003, I had graduated from university and started working my first real career type job. It sucked! :) But I was very lucky to have a "real" job and not be stuck waiting for a break, like a lot of my friends at the time were.

A writer that I like, Douglas Coupland, once wrote that being 30-something is better than being 20-something because 20-something people are still trying to establish themselves and wondering why they're not having as awesome of a time as movies and sitcoms say they should be having, or something to that effect. I haven't made up my mind whether that's really true in my case or not, but it struck enough of a chord that I remember reading it.

My life was a lot simpler back in 2003, but boy was I full of angst and confusion compared to now.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

In 2003, I was an 8th grader in middle school really just learning about how the internet worked. When we first got it in 2002, I only used it to look at pictures.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

I remember midis. Youtube either didn't exist, or wasn't what it is today, where you can hear pretty much any song from any game if you need to.

Wow, time does fly.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

MIDIs were how I got into the online Lunar scene in the first place -- hunting around for them wherever I could. I couldn't transcribe music so it was my only way of figuring out how to play it.

I still have a pretty extensive MIDI collection, but since there are some more complete archives online, it's a little less relevant now when I can just look up anything I need these days. Back in 1997-98, you could easily count on one page the number of Lunar fansites out there, and I think only like two had MIDIs collected.

We should bring them back Geocities-style by embedding MIDIs on every page and having tons of animated GIFs. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

In 2003, I was graduating high school, moved to the Atlanta area for a while before moving back to colorado.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Zhane Masaki
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zhane Masaki »

Well, Jul 21, 2003 is the day I joined up with you guys and started my LUNAR fandom. I was just a teenager of 19 (with the mind of a bloody 12 year old. Freaking Aspergers lol!) So this year is my 10th LUNAR-versary
Also an expert on the Phantasy Star tetralogy, Ys, Star Ocean, Dirty Pair, and most things Universal Century Gundam

Visit My Backloggery to keep up on my gaming exploits!

parappa
Lyton Singer

Post by parappa »

Something I find amazing about this Lunar fan community is that there are hardcore Lunar fans who got into the series post-90s. When I first got into Lunar it was '95 or '96, Lunar 2 was out for the Sega CD--which I didn't own, but my best friend had it. The only other JRPGs I really knew of were Final Fantasy IV & VI, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, Lufia, Dragon Quest, and, of course, Chrono Trigger, which was brand spanking new and pretty much the height of console gaming at that time. I forgot Breath of Fire, but I think I learned about that after Lunar.

Then the latter half of the 90's happened with its PS1 and Saturn games, and eventually Dreamcast too. Generally speaking, the games were a lot bigger and deeper than their SNES counter-parts, and it only got more extreme when the PS2 era kicked off. So many amazing RPGs came out during that time, it was truly a landslide of great productions. It speaks well of Lunar's superior craftsmanship and exceptional appeal that even with all of that going on, there were still RPG fans finding it and choosing it as their favourite (or one of their very favourites).

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, remember that Lunar Silver Star Story Complete was published in the US in June 1999, and it sold very well. Eternal Blue Complete came out in late 2000, though didn't do as well. And however much we may decry certain of the subsequent handheld games as inferior, they did bring in new fans, some of whom went on to look for the older games.

I don't know that that's necessarily disagreeing with what you said. It just sounded like you thought of the games as being mainly early-mid 90s, when the PSX games were released several years later.

The Greatest Story
Nanza Bandit

Post by The Greatest Story »

The fact that there are still people posting on this forum makes my heart VIBRATE.

I played lunar years ago, maybe over a decade.. I've replayed it nearly once every two years, maybe more!

There might not be another "new lunar," but this is more than consolidating.

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

In 2003 I was graduating from college. Also met my eventual wife later that year.

Yes, time does fly. And things change. I almost feel like a completely different person than I was then. I have a completely different career path than when I graduated. I'm now at an anime con with a 1 1/2 year old. It makes me glad that I've figured out (sort of!) how to grow up on my own terms.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

2003 was a good year for me it was the year of my first professional gig, I started my slow route back to school, worked many jobs etc. I was starting to figure out what I wanted from my life. Anyway, I do remember listening to my lunar CD's back in the day but I was never really a midi fan, electronic music has come a LONG way it's quite astonishing really.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

10 years ago, I believed I'd be a computer programmer working for a respectable computer company.
Today, I now work in financial services instead. Go figure.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

The Greatest Story
Nanza Bandit

Post by The Greatest Story »

I was in 7th grade, learning how to talk to my first girl! AKA the love of my life hahahahaha....

I don't think anyone here can consider themselves old in the sense that they're (and ill gladly say "we're") still uniting to talk about a game of such caliber! The level of imagination and selflessness amidst such a powerful story is proof that anyone who willingly associates themselves with this type of reality is sure to always be young of heart. Even for people that have gone unexpectedly into finances, have a child they now share these wondrous experiences with, are finding it peculiar that they have gotten older (all mortals, no Althenas), or are even having a laugh that midis used to be a big thing!

in truth and love - etc..