Tough day in N.O.

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by GhaleonOne »

You know, I just looked into this Kanye West comment. That was not the time or place for it. He was on a fundraiser campaign. Leave your politics elsewhere. Both Mike Meyers and Chris Tucker looked pretty annoyed.
-G1

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

GhaleonOne wrote:You know, I just looked into this Kanye West comment. That was not the time or place for it. He was on a fundraiser campaign. Leave your politics elsewhere. Both Mike Meyers and Chris Tucker looked pretty annoyed.

If there an online article about this, a news video possibly? I keep hearing this guy's name and that he said something, but I don't know what he actually said.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Read the last page, the link is provided under Darkknight's post

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Darknight
Lann Fisherman

Post by Darknight »

@GhaleonOne
About the Army going on, I really can't comment on that I haven't heard one way or the other on whether they had been sent in or not, but I will be going back to work tomorrow (no holiday for the damn state employees this time) and maybe I will hear something then.

@Phyco
Based on your last comments I don't see how we even disagree on this subject it seems like you understand what I'm saying, so I don't see what the problem is.

The point I've been trying to make is that unlike what the media and other random people want you to believe, the people aren't suffering because there black, there suffering because there simply hasn't been enough help. Race should have never been brought up period. And the race/prejudice issue is always thrown out about anything and everything and that is the entire reason that all of this pisses me off so much. This is the same crap I hear about everyday in this state. Nothing is ever cut and dry, there is always an excuse as to why something happened. Its never anybody's fault, its always someone else for some reason or another.

@Kizyr

I've gotta disagree with you on the aruba girl thing, it has nothing to do with her being white, its because she is an attractive female. If it was a white guy they would have cared just as little as if there was a missing black guy. Society as a whole seems to be much more interested in the welfare of a girl over a guy. So I would argue its possibly more of a sex issue than a race issue (although I do think it possible that the media would pay more attention to white girl over a black girl, but again its not always people that care more, a lot is the media).

People of all races are kidnapped constantly. I would like to venture a guess and say it could possibly have to do with her being rich (not sure if she was, just saying being female, attractive, and rich could be a few reasons why.). But I wouldn't say its because she is white, or at the very least its a very small part of the whole.

The Kanye West incident was just rediculous. I'm so tired of hearing movie star's, singer's, etc opinions when no one has asked for it. Especially because people like Kanye West have no basis to attack people when they are just as biased as the people they attack. Do you honestly think he knew anymore than what he saw on the news about them being black? Do you think that is a good basis for an opinion? We watch and listen to these people for their acting and singing talent, not their opinions and one of these days they'll learn that.

Anyway, off my soapbox now.

DK

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

DK?

I asked you which charities you saw being most active?
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

http://media.putfile.com/Kanye79

My point on his comments has nothing to do with whether he's right or wrong BTW. Some will agree and others disagree. I have a problem with him doing it on a fundraiser show where they're trying to raise money. The simple fact is that people who disagree with very harsh comments like that are going to switch the channel, and that means some of those people may have otherwise donated. The politics should be left off of a fundraiser show. He's there to help get more to watch and be aware of whats going on and hopefully donate. Not divide viewers and, likely, piss them off, having them turn the channel off of a fundraiser. It's not the place for it.
-G1

Darknight
Lann Fisherman

Post by Darknight »

@Angelalex

Sorry, I don't really know much about which charities would be more likely to get around beuracracy and get to the people better, etc. Haven't really discussed much of this with others yet around here, we are just helping people directly for the time being. Anyway, like I said to GhaleonOne, I'll be at work tomorrow and I'll try to ask around and see what others have to say.

@GhaleonOne

Except for the comment about the army going or not going in, I wasn't directing any of the rest at you if that is how you took it. Either it was directly to a person or just general, but I do understand your point it had no place being on the fundraiser. I just went off of that and gave me another reason to go off on people like that, thats all. So dont think I took offense to what you said or anything like that.

DK

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

phyco wrote:I didn't state me having friends from different races to protect me from people labeling me as a rascist, I said it to tell them I'm not a rascist.

Phyco, I know you well enough to where that goes without saying.

The point is, around most any minority, the line "I have friends who are black / other races / other nationalities" is meaningless. The same line is used so often to justify something that someone is afraid will be taken as racist. Better is just to be confident in what you believe, not try to use the "I have friends who are ____," since that just makes your comments seem suspicious when they aren't.

phyco wrote:Or I can go into the case in California about Scott Peterson killing his wife. Oh, she was white, they reported her missing. Okay, say she was black? Her black husband killed her for another black girl. Then all of asudden, you'll have black people all over the country screaming racism because they're portraying them as nothing but killers and adulterers. There is no win win situation in this country.

There's no win-win situation because, well, the media's been lousy at portraying any community fairly. Particularly when it has to respond to ratings.

A real direct example... Whenever a Muslim commits any crime, immediately folks start talking about terrorism. Someone else can do the same bloody thing, and they'll call it a million things: crime, hate crime, isolated incident, 'cry for help', before they'll call it terrorism.

But, continuing down this line would go way off-topic. My point is, newsmedia, since it has to respond to ratings, will almost inevitably sensationalize a particular story. This is why I quit watching television news altogether; most of mine comes from BBC Online and Financial Times.

You're spot on about reporting more on the wealthy than the poor. I think that just adds onto the race factor in reporting, though. Whether it's more or less significant... that would take a long time to debate and figure out. Plus which, it really depends on the situation.

Ardekh wrote:Isn't there an equal opportunity law or something that says they have to employ minorities? I think you should just hire whoever's best for the job.

There's a lot misunderstood (and misquoted) about equal-opportunity laws. Always, you're supposed to hire whoever's best for the job. The question arises when two people are equally-qualified for a job or promotion.

Lawsuits are only levied (or won) when it can be proven that, for the same level of education, experience, and other factors, minorities are consistently denied jobs or promotions in a particular company. That's why companies will take race and gender data when you apply. Me, I wouldn't apply to a place not designated as EOE/AA M/F/D/V or whatever. Nevertheless, I'm well aware that indicating my race and religion is a risk with finding employment, but I'm willing to take the risk.

But, enough of that. Darknight is entirely right about race being unimportant to the task at hand with hurricane relief.

Darknight wrote:So I would argue its possibly more of a sex issue than a race issue (although I do think it possible that the media would pay more attention to white girl over a black girl, but again its not always people that care more, a lot is the media).

Yes... I do agree with you there. The fact that people are contributing so much to not just this, but tsunami relief earlier in the year, really shows that the average person does care about the welfare of others, regardless of race. But, with 24-hour news coverage, there has to be something to pick apart to fill in coverage. So, that's where race, wealth, democrats, and republicans come in.

Darknight wrote:The Kanye West incident was just rediculous. I'm so tired of hearing movie star's, singer's, etc opinions when no one has asked for it. Especially because people like Kanye West have no basis to attack people when they are just as biased as the people they attack. Do you honestly think he knew anymore than what he saw on the news about them being black? Do you think that is a good basis for an opinion?

I think the only merit in what Kanye West says has to do with the general behaviour of Bush, which has a lot of legitimate points to criticize.

But, I do side with G1. Right or wrong, it was the inappropriate forum for that. NBC had to do a lot of covering to make up for that. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

DK: Nope, not at all. It was just a general statement regarding the comments. In fact, I think we were in agreement over it.

Another general statement... re-watching this a few times, Kanye West probably just got caught up in the moment and got carried away. You can tell he was visibly upset when he was making those comments as he seemed to just say it out of the blue. It was likely said in anger. And, as bad as it is to say this, the looks on Mike Meyers and Chris Tucker's faces were priceless. Both were just kinda like "Wow, did he really just say that..."
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Kay. Get back to us. We'd like to help, and all, so if you point out who'd be best at doing it, we'll go ahead and see what we can do.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

- Mike

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

NallOne wrote:http://yahooracists.ytmnd.com/

-___-?

The stupid thing about that is: neither of those news sources are Yahoo. It's not like Yahoo does its own reporting and writing. The first is from AP (Associated Press, the standard), and the second from AFP (American Free Press). Two different sources, two different writing styles. Has nothing to do with race.

And nothing to do with Yahoo, either. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

Kizyr wrote:
NallOne wrote:http://yahooracists.ytmnd.com/

-___-?

The stupid thing about that is: neither of those news sources are Yahoo. It's not like Yahoo does its own reporting and writing. The first is from AP (Associated Press, the standard), and the second from AFP (American Free Press). Two different sources, two different writing styles. Has nothing to do with race.

And nothing to do with Yahoo, either. KF

Ah. Thanks for pointing that out. :P
- Mike

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

This is just in response to a couple posts on the previous page.

Ever heard the phrase "white is the minority"? It's a catch phrase you might hear more of as time goes by. It's basically saying that things like affirmative action and the general opinion that white America has to apologize and make amends/reparations actually make whites the real minority in the country. As with many things like that, it's not really true, but it does bring to light good points. For instance, two college applications with equal credentials apply to a college. Which one is more likely to get in? The minority. It happens all the time with schools, which sucks. And it commonly isn't the people accepting the students that are at fault. What typically happens is the higher ups, the VPs and provosts, see minority rates in the school. They then tell the people that choose who to accept that they need more of certain minorities and adjust accordingly.

That's just kinda rambling though. I don't actually have a point I'm going to. Just things to ponder. I, as a mostly white person, have been very fortunate in schools and jobs, so I have nothing to complain about. But I'm also of the one minority that DOESN'T get favored treatment. I'm 1/4 Lebanese and it's truly sad, but I get the feeling that if that 1/4 was pure, I'd get a lot of -Dragon Diamond- in this country. Just imagine if NO was a mostly Arab city. But that's a whole different discussion...
-Rich-

Darknight
Lann Fisherman

Post by Darknight »

Okay, I've spoken with some people at work and they are saying that some people from the army have indeed been sent along with the National Guard. Where they are from I don't know though.

And about charities, nobody at works seems to really know of any other charities that are credibal besides the Red Cross. Unfortunately with all the problems after 911 I don't know how credibal they are. But everyone is saying thats the best bet right now.

DK

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Okay, I've spoken with some people at work and they are saying that some people from the army have indeed been sent along with the National Guard. Where they are from I don't know though.

Thanks for the update man. That's likely where my friend is at then, as I haven't raised him in the past week.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

One company for which I have an interview on Thursday gave a pretty good run-down of the economic impact of Katrina.

http://www.globalinsight.com/Highlight/ ... il2224.htm

Two most important points are:
- Based on current information, Global Insight believes that oil prices will not rise much higher (as long as there are no further supply disruptions). We expect that, as the energy infrastructure is repaired and becomes fully operational, oil prices will fall gradually from current levels to around $66 a barrel (for WTI crude) by the end of the year.
- The gasoline price outlook is a little more clouded. Nevertheless, Global Insight believes that gasoline prices will average between $3.00 and $3.50 nationally during September and then fall gradually to around $2.60 by the end of the year.

WTI Crude is trading at about $67 a barrel now, so the price for crude is likely not going to be too significant. But, I might've been too optimistic about the three-week mark for falling gasoline prices. I forgot to consider that after the refineries start to open up, some people (and states) might start to stockpile gasoline reserves, which could keep the prices high for a short while. 'Course the better strategy is to stockpile in winter or during months in which gasoline consumption is down, even given the slight risk in waiting to stockpile.

I'm still going to wait until about mid-September to refill my tank, although gasoline might still be at $3/gal by then. The $2.60 by December sounds reasonable, however.

EDIT: Back to what Phyco pointed out earlier, the IEA has announced that they'll be delivering both crude oil and refined gasoline to assist in keeping prices relatively low. Though I'm not sure how much of each. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/tporleans/

Things keep getting worse down there.

It is literally a living hell for those poor people.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... c_telethon

Kanye West: "George Bush doesn't like black people."

Good thing we have guys like this pull the race card and try to prioritize himself in the wake of the disaster. Shoot, I even agree Bush dropped the ball with FEMA on this one, but it had nothing to do with race, it had everything to do with bureaucratic inadequacy. (And to a lesser degree, poverty. There are dead people of all colors down there Kanye)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Re:Red Cross

That's what I'd heard. I have someone else I know from another forum saying 'don't send 'em money.'

Then, of course, the local radiostation says 'send 'em money, it costs Red Cross less overhead.'

Ya know, even when all you wanna do is help somebody, it's always so blasted confusing.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

The "lack of credibility" with the Red Cross is nonsense. The only thing they did was not devote 100% of their resources to relief in NYC after September 11th, because, well, even when bad things happen here, people elsewhere will still need help. Folks donated to the Red Cross expecting their money to go to NYC, when they did nothing to designate or earmark their donations for 9/11 relief. Red Cross isn't clairvoyant to know what each person wants done with their money without being told, and it doesn't (and should not) respond to events proportional to their media coverage.

Donate to Red Cross, or other large relief organizations. You can also earmark or include a note that you want your donation to go specifically to relief for hurricane Katrina. Smaller organizations typically have more overhead costs-per-dollar-donated than the large ones, and older organizations have more experience and expertise with disaster relief. Check http://www.charitynavigator.org for a run-down of the credible organizations and a rating of each. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)