Tough day in N.O.

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Kizyr »

Are you even reading what he's saying?

What do you mean 'why didn't they do anything'? They evacuated the city. But only so many have another place to relocate. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It's not the fact that the hurricane was so devastating, but when the leevey broke down, the contents of an entire lake spilled into the city and the surrounding areas. They are unable to seal it up, and pumping water out is going to be a huge undertaking. There are so many things that are wrong, and are getting worse which escalates problems on all fronts. I could not imagine the Hell these people are suffering through, and this is our own country. The government is doing a horrendous job on this, and this is days after the storm and still so little is being done. People dying in the heat, no water, no shelter, no food, hospitals with no power and no help. It's unfathomable, and there is no way we can relate to what is going on unless we were the ones out there suffering.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Actually, the fact that the damage is as bad as they expected is not quite true. They calculated that as many as 40,000 may be killed before the storm hit. Now they are just estimating hundreds, if not thousands, but they never said anything about a higher death toll than the 1900 hurrican in Texas. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the total death toll does end up in somewhere in the 20,000s.

Now, for saying the media is misreporting, I think it's based more on how the viewer sees it. I've been watching the news, thats where I get my info, I live in Colorado, so obviously I can't be there to see what happens. Basically everything you said, I already knew from the news. I didn't see any racism in their broadcasts about african americans on bridges and stuff. I mean, I already knew that N.O. has a majority of black people, so it's not like we are going to see tens of thousands of white people standing around.

As for the looting, the news says it is just as bad as you already said. I think the news accuratly reported the events happening in and around the city, from what you have said alone, being more of an eye witness.

Martial law has been enacted in N.O. and the national guard has been given the order to shoot to kill anyone who disobeys a direct military order.

It's about bloody time. They should have done that immediately after the storm passed. Don't call me heartless either. It's a well known fact that people get shot when they break the law in times like that. They did it in the 1906 Earthquake, they should be doing it here. The fact that people have nearly lost their humanity shows the extent of the moral and emotional damage.

Personally, the situation could have been handled better. When the storm hit, they should have deployed 20,000 troops immediatly to secure the area, calling up and additional 20,000 troops to reinforce and supply the city with food and water. Also, I would have had adopted a Water & Food Looting policy. If they arn't stealing food or water, but something else they don't need, shot them. Don't have to kill them, but disable them. What the hell is someone going to use a TV for? No electricity, no home, no way to take it with you when you get evacuated.... it's pointless.

Edit: Oh, I forgot, I assume I'm the person with that comment on filling up for gas in a flooded city. I realize that the shortage is region wide, but the fact is people who don't need gas was still filling up. Seems pointless to me.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Touche, SP. I was being needlessly harsh. My mistake; sorry. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

It's also very scary (maybe not "scary" but I really can't find an appropriate adjective) to see people who have lost everything and have been reduced to an almost primitive state of survival. I NEVER thought I'd live to see the day where here in America people would be rioting and killing each other for such basic things we take for granted everyday.

I thought our country was at a point where food, water, and other basic necessities were not an issue when it came to relief. I thought if there was something like this, people from all over the U.S. would donate supplies and get them there fast enough, but this is so far out of our control it's going to be a long time before it gets better. We should all do whatever we can to help, but it still seems kind of futile when you watch the news.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, people are quick to blame the government for not taking fast enough action. Although there is some truth to that, people fail to see that N.O. is cut off, the only way to get there is by boat almost. Even I-10 was destoryed, so there where limited access points into the city. Secondly, you didn't have hundreds, if not thousands of angry people shooting at you when the Tsunami relief was going under way. Third, the waters receded quickly after the Tsunami, just leaving mud and dead, in N.O. there was still water to negate.

Also, N.O. isn't the only city with issues. Many of the cities hit along the gulf coast, are suffering from riots, looting, and lack of water and food. What make's N.O. so bad is the flooding, whereas other cities are at least drying up.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I was just speaking my mind, and just putting a voice to the devastation in the lives of these people. The news is not exaggerating the reality of what is going on here, it really is that bad, and in person it would be far worse. I am a type 1 juvenile Diabetic, and had I been one of those victims, chances are I would be dead right now. To see these people suffering like this in our own country, days after the storm, it is truly incomprehensible. Just seeing these people on the streets, dead bodies strewn about, no food or clean water, it truly looks like a third world disaster. I just cannot express how I feel for these people.

Kizyr, we should all just respect one another, and what we have to say. This is an issue that will bring a multitude of viewpoints, and arguments, but the biggest factor here is the humanity we all feel. You're cool with me, so don't sweat it.

Now the gas issue, that's just one big bullsh|t issue totally separate from what is going on now. Yes, production has halted, or slowed down with some refineries since the hurricane, but these gas prices are out of control and you can thank your oil tycoon of a president for that one.

Phyco, three to four days is way too long for your own country to start supplying aid to these people. You have to understand the human condition when you are desparate and starving, and have no idea where your life is headed. People are dying in front of you, you are dying of thirst, do you understand what that does to you? These people are literally in Hell. There is no road access into New Orleans except for one road, in or out. There isn't any reason for people to not be angry when helicopters and jets can fly overhead and airdrop food, water and supplies. The other areas that were affected are going through the same thing, and there are areas that haven't received any aid whatsoever.
Last edited by Silver Phoenix on Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I don't think so, he did tap into our reserves for more oil, the fact that we need refineries is the issue. Of course, they may still be out of control. Anyone ever hear of a nation wide attempt to, err, whats the word.... the word they use when people raise the price out of greed.... price gorging I believe.

Also, I think that most of the death toll is going to end up coming from the after math of Katrina, not Katrina itself. Many people are dead from lack of medicle help, many people are dead because their old bodies couldn't handle the crises, and alot of people are dead because the hospitals had no way to keep them alive. Normal patients who would have other wised lived, well, are dead or dying because they can't even get the basics.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Everyone, calm the frick down. Seriously. You're attacking each other over something none of you (save Darknight) has any real idea of how bad it is other than news reports. It's bad, I don't think anyone disagrees on that point...

Government issues aside, I see valid points in all of your opinions though. I don't think people can really relate to those that are acting the way they are down there. There's many who, yes, are acting completely out of hand (such as the rioting in Baton Rouge that Darknight mentioned). However, some of these people that are acting the way they are down in New Orleans are likely scared to death. They have no access to media like we do. Their rational is likely gone. Some have gone without water, food and other neccessities for days, and are probably loosing their minds. Try going from cush living (and yes, even poor in America is cush living compared to many third world countries) to scraping by in a warzone-like environment with no idea whether you'll even be saved.

But seriously people, don't argue over this. It's not the time or place. Discussion is fine, and keeping the news going is great, but it seems people were misunderstanding where others were coming from, and tempers flared needlessly. Noone's being warned, as noone has really done anything wrong, but let's calm down a bit.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I'm not argueing, and I think SP was just pointing out a fact. I do want to say that I did say there was truth to the government not acting fast enough. However, what I meant is the disaster area is so large and the damage so devasting, that what they did start sending in could not make it to some parts of the area because of debre, looting and hostile actions, and lack of roads going in.

I do agree that more certainly could have been done, both before and after the storm.

SSSFan
Red Dragon Priest
Location: in front of my computer, above my keyboard, at the lunarnet forum, in my house etc. etc.

Post by SSSFan »

What do you mean 'why didn't they do anything'? They evacuated the city. But only so many have another place to relocate.

uhh, I'll cut that out::edit::

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Thankfully today's news is filled with the humanitarian stories I was expecting a few days ago. I'm interested to see what Bush is going to do now that he's going to NO to assess the mess personally. His quick speech this morning before he left the White House was kind of sad though. He didn't seem to know what to say, and just stated the obvious (it's a bad situation and people need help) then seemed upset with how it's being handled. I hope his visit will make a big difference.

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

I would say the opposite. Today has some humanitarian stuff, particularly in the mainstream. But there's a lot of bad stuff going on. Murder, rape, people shooting at police, police shooting at people, a lot of police quitting, military being refocused to stop looting instead of helping people, chemicals exploding and leaking into the water. Just a lot of bad bad stuff. And the trouble with much of this is that donations are irrevelant. No amount of money stops crazy people from shooting at helicopters that are trying to rush critical patients to get the care they need.

It's just a very depressing situation right now.
-Rich-

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I agree with drumlord. Police are quitting because, at least as they said on the news, they lost everything and refuse to go get shot now. There is probably other issues too. I kind of feel sorry for the tourists trapped in the city caught in the cross fire.

However, donations will help pay for the food and water supply and what medical help does get through. Hopefully, it'll also go towards rebuilding the city after the water starts to receed.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

I'm just wondering . . . are we getting any kind of foreign aid for this? Everyone made such an immense deal out of the U.S. not giving enough [or at least not quickly enough] during the tsunami, but I haven't heard anything about any other countries helping us out. :?
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I doubt we'll get much help.

See, other countries note that we are the country that helps every other country.

So, they figure, when we need help, we can help ourselves.

Or rather, that the USA just doesn't NEED help. Or perhaps that the USA is beyond help.

That, of course, just plain isn't true, and we do need help.

But worldwide, we're probably seen as either we don't need it...or in some parts of the world, that opinion might even go to we're not worthy of it.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yes, we're getting help. I caught the tail end of a news thing on one of the news channels saying Sri Lanka was sending us aid. I also heard something regarding France sending help.
-G1

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Lunar Eclipse wrote:I'm just wondering . . . are we getting any kind of foreign aid for this? Everyone made such an immense deal out of the U.S. not giving enough [or at least not quickly enough] during the tsunami, but I haven't heard anything about any other countries helping us out. :?

That's only half true. The government was slow but the people of USA were on the friggin ball for that one. And honestly, that "counts" much more. The government may be able to dish out $50B whenever it feels politically obligated, but the donations of millions merely out of the goodness of their hearts is much more powerful.
-Rich-

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Actually, I was listening to NPR while I was on the road (going home, probably the last chance in a while), and I heard that other nations are opening up their oil reserves to temporarily relieve the lack of supply. I suspect that it won't cure the problem of a shortage of refineries, but it will mean that we won't have to worry about the crude supply, at least.

I think any more substantial help than that would be more applicable in the longer term. It's tough to mobilize too much from outside a nation in such a short span.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

drumlord wrote:That's only half true. The government was slow but the people of USA were on the friggin ball for that one. And honestly, that "counts" much more. The government may be able to dish out $50B whenever it feels politically obligated, but the donations of millions merely out of the goodness of their hearts is much more powerful.

The Power of Humanity is stronger than the power of individual rulers!

...sorry, I know this isn't the time and place.