Our cat is pretty great.

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Our cat is pretty great.

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:So Prel (where did her name come from?) is older than ours. Our first five (not counting our very first cat who passed away in 2014) were all born in summer/fall 2007.
"Prel" was a random combo of sounds that Jenner put together 'cause it sounded right.
Alunissage wrote:This is our bunny boy, Aliquot. He is the softest cat I have ever touched, including our very soft longhair(s). Here he is with my husband, possibly the first day we met Quot as a two-month-old kitten. This is one of my favorite pictures of them both. It keeps showing up sideways though.
AWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!! How old is he?
Alunissage wrote:Our patriarch cat Rufus, our very first cat who we had for seven years before we lost him to kidney disease. He was a wonderful cat and I miss him.
Aw, sorry to hear. Mean-looking cats can be the sweetest creatures ever though, I know.
Alunissage wrote:Triquet watching a turkey.
Was this a wild turkey that just showed up in your backyard? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Kizyr wrote:"Prel" was a random combo of sounds that Jenner put together 'cause it sounded right.
That seems as good a reason as any. Do vets ask also? Our original vet used to refer to us as "the people with the cats with the funny names."
Kizyr wrote:
Alunissage wrote:This is our bunny boy, Aliquot. He is the softest cat I have ever touched, including our very soft longhair(s). Here he is with my husband, possibly the first day we met Quot as a two-month-old kitten. This is one of my favorite pictures of them both. It keeps showing up sideways though.
AWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!! How old is he?
Thirty-si....oh, you mean Quot. Five and a half, now. He was apparently born on our wedding anniversary, in 2012. He's a very lucky boy -- he was found alone in someone's yard at a week old, eyes closed and all. Fortunately, that person's next-door neighbor was a cat fosterer, and while she couldn't take him herself at the time, one of the other foster moms in the rescue group could. He needed to be fed by a tube through his nose at first, then bottle. Most of the time kittens that young don't make it. We'd adopted our then-youngest cat from that rescue, and they knew we'd moved to a place where we could have more cats (the town we had been in limited us to 7), and so when we saw him his foster mom put the hard sell on us for him. Not that it needed much.
Kizyr wrote:
Alunissage wrote:Our patriarch cat Rufus, our very first cat who we had for seven years before we lost him to kidney disease. He was a wonderful cat and I miss him.
Aw, sorry to hear. Mean-looking cats can be the sweetest creatures ever though, I know.
Yeah, we were a little surprised at how affectionate he was. His original owner had always thought of him as more of a bad-boy (and even sent me a picture of him on a motorcycle), but that wasn't our experience at all, other than his total self-confidence. He knew he was Top Cat, so he didn't need to prove anything.

Taking him is also how I got the Korean Lunar PC, incidentally...
Kizyr wrote:
Alunissage wrote:Triquet watching a turkey.
Was this a wild turkey that just showed up in your backyard? KF
Front yard/deck, actually, but yeah. I've seen wild turkeys at various times, though not recently. The most interesting sighting was this one: http://fuzzytinking.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/turkey/
(lots of other cat pictures there too, and even the occasional videogame-related post)

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

I posted an explanation for how to post up pictures here but it got deleted. It must have been accidentally doxing myself or something, so thanks for looking out for me, whoever that was, because I'm dumb as -Fatal Hopper- sometimes. Anyway, I'm gonna try to walk you through uploading pics to an image hosting site without pictures, Alun.

1. Go to imgur.com.
2. Click upload or, if on mobile, click the cloud with the arrow in it.
3. Select upload from computer or, if you're trying to post an image you like from elsewhere but don't want to image leech, post the url where it says to. If you're on mobile you need to select the option to pick from your device.
4. Once a picture or pictures have been picked, click upload.
5. Once at the screen their shown use the drop down menu to get their BBCode and copy and paste them here.

To rotate you need to select the option to edit the picture once uploaded and select rotate. If the proper rotation isn't in the defaults you need to go to advanced settings and fiddle around in there. Hope that helps!
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Zhane Masaki
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zhane Masaki »

I should introduce my cat Kory. She’s a timid one tho so pics may be difficult.

Yep Ol’ Zhane is still alive despite a myriad of health issues lol. Diabeetus and asthma from being heavier than Ramus after an all week snack binge.
Also an expert on the Phantasy Star tetralogy, Ys, Star Ocean, Dirty Pair, and most things Universal Century Gundam

Visit My Backloggery to keep up on my gaming exploits!

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Good to hear from you, Zhane! Hang in there and send cat pics, since I have no cats to photograph.
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Fun little cat update Chez Alunissage. We are now managing Rhombus's diabetes more directly, meaning blood glucose tests before every shot and several times during the day. Unfortunately, home testing means pricking his ear to get blood, which he quite reasonably doesn't like. His complaint meow sounds exactly like "Ow", by the way. But he's getting more used to it, and he does get a treat after each test. We are also trying to put him on a bit of a diet, since he's, well, big. I mean, he's big-boned too, but 28 pounds is a lot for a cat. So we're weighing his food and have switched all the cats to three times a day feeding instead of two and picking up the food after half an hour instead of leaving it out.

I might not have mentioned that we now make all the food ourselves, too. About fifty pounds at a time of chicken thighs, eggs, chicken liver, and mineral supplements, ground together. We make a batch every week or two. The cats do like it, and are clearly digesting it better than the canned stuff they were on (which had been more or less OK until the formula changed last summer). It's a lot of work, especially for spouse (who does the grinding), but we probably come out ahead.

He's also had two masses removed from him in the past six months or so. Both benign, thank goodness. My good, brave boy. He's doing so well. Still loving, affectionate, and utterly unaware of his size. There's a reason I named my Valkyria Chronicles 2 tank after him.
Rhombus 2017-12-15 12.50.07.jpg
Rhombus 2017-12-15 12.50.07.jpg (911.94 KiB) Viewed 19717 times

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

While I'm not a cat person, the coloring on her is very pretty!

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Alun that precious cat of yours (most recent pic) is such a chonker.

Prel is doing well, btw, and she's also pretty chonk.

The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.