Eid Mubarak! / !عيد مبارك

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Eid Mubarak! / !عيد مبارك

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Kizyr wrote:
Dragonmaster Lou wrote:Hope you had a very happy Eid. I can't help but feel sorry for any Muslims living anywhere north of the Arctic Circle this year though...
I kid, I kid...
Oh that is tough actually, but Muslims that far North don't fast on a purely daylight-based schedule. There are various fatawa (plural of fatwa, which means religious opinion) on the subject -- the most commonly-followed ones are that once the daylight hours go above 20/day (or some other high level), you can either follow the schedule of the closest city due South that has enough daylight or follow the schedule in Mecca. Fasting isn't meant to be a hardship, so after the first 2-3 days it should be possible to acclimate regardless of where you are, hence the exceptions.
Yeah, I figured there would be something along those lines. I think I remember hearing a story where an English diplomat was talking to a Saudi religious leader about that situation and said leader said, "Well, we'll just split the day into 12 hours of fasting and 12 hours of non-fasting." Following the schedule in Mecca also makes a lot of logical sense to me, for some reason.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I love learning this stuff. :)

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Ack! I totally forgot to post this last week!

Last Thursday was Eid-ul-Adha (also called Korbani/Qurbani Eid, or Bakr Eid). I was back in Nashville with my family this past week to celebrate.

So, once again, Eid Mubarak everyone! ...this is also the last major holiday until next year. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

And we're back! Another Ramadan is come and gone. Eid Mubarak everybody! KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Eid Mubarak! I've been traveling the past couple of weeks, but I did remember the end of Ramadan. :)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Another year, another Ramadan, and another Eid. Eid Mubarak everyone! KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

It's interesting to see how Ramadan traverses the calendar based on posting time. I'm traveling in the UK right now, and today I saw a gathering today marking this occasion. Eid Mubarak!
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Eid Mubarak! Today is Eid-ul-Adha, also known as Qurbani Eid or Bakr Eid. It marks the end of the hajj period -- I know just a couple people who went to hajj this year though. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Eid Mubarak! Yesterday was Eid-ul-Fitr marking the end of Ramadan. It was also an eventful month as I started a new job. (Some of my biggest positive milestones happened in Ramadan: my first professional job, this new one, proposing to Jenner, closing on our house, etc.).

Wishing a blessed time to everyone. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Eid Mubarak everyone! Eid-ul-Adha (marks end of Hajj) just happened. KF
2018-08-21 16.23.04.jpg
2018-08-21 16.23.04.jpg (34.36 KiB) Viewed 25863 times
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Reviving this to once again say Eid Mubarak
20210513_174506.jpg
20210513_174506.jpg (813.08 KiB) Viewed 16362 times
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Eid Mubarak!

Do you use that calligraphy set for writing in Japanese as well?
Sonic#

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Yeah -- this was actually my first attempt using this set with Arabic. I've used it with Japanese many times already. Had to use a few references to figure out how best to use a brush instead of the more traditional reed pens.

My favorite calligrapher, Haji Noor Deen (https://www.hajinoordeen.com/), pioneered a style that blends Chinese and Arabic methods (called Sini) that I'd really like to learn more about how to execute. His brushes tend to look almost like a cross between straight-edged reed pens and brushes.
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Posting again to say Eid Mubarak all!
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Gonna revive this placard a few more times