Upon finishing Lunar and wiping my eyes, I ponder to myself

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Leo
BANNED
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Upon finishing Lunar and wiping my eyes, I ponder to myself

Post by Leo »

Why do people intentionally make themselves sad? Most of us do it, but....why? Why do people seek out things that they know will bring them sadness? You hear it with movies all the time. "Watch it! You'll cry!"

I don't understand it.

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Upon finishing Lunar and wiping my eyes, I ponder to mys

Post by Alunissage »

To be honest, I mostly don't either. I can find enough things to cry about IRL (happy as well as sad), I don't need to see a tearjerker to irrigate my eyes. But I'm told it can be very cathartic.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

The tears are different. All of them.
There's sadness, happiness and laughter, to name the 3 basic ones for example.

Crying is emotinally cleansing and it's a deep experience. It can be considered the climax of an emotion!
I'll cry manly tears of joy the day Lunar 2 gets treated properly again.
That's one event i'm looking forward to cry for. xD

In a game, movie or anime, you could cry from those 3 things, and it's always because of 1 reason: the content was really well delivered. That's what we're looking for.

Unless it made you cry of embarrassment, like when the bad singer girl sings xD.
Or when Kyle and Nash sing with the girls............................... see, thats also a deep feeling... of embarrassment.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

jay_are wrote:The tears are different. All of them.

Crying is emotinally cleansing and it's a deep experience. It can be considered the climax of an emotion!
I'll cry manly tears of joy the day Lunar 2 gets treated properly again.
That's one event i'm looking forward to cry for. xD

In a game, movie or anime, you could cry from those 3 things, and it's always because of 1 reason: the content was really well delivered. That's what we're looking for.

Unless it made you cry of embarrassment, like when the bad singer girl sings xD.
Or when Kyle and Nash sing with the girls............................... see, thats also a deep feeling... of embarrassment.
I completely agree.

Sometimes when you watch or read something its not always a bad negative cry. I mean just recently I've been reading various Chicken Soup for the Soul books. The one kept making me want to cry...but because it made me so happy!

I've had books make me cry...not because I'm sad, but sometimes something just touches you...or you feel for a certain character or their situation.

Same with games. I believe Grandia II had me feeling that once. And I know as far as tv Inuyasha did too. I remember my mom came out and was "Are you crying or laughing?" I had been crying, and she made fun of me. Not in a mean way, like a teasing way. I wasn't upset, it just..touched me.

And honestly I feel that's often good writing or whatever. If something can touch someone like that...well they must be doing something right.

Sometimes sad stuff can touch you...as long as it doesn't greatly damage you, I see no issue. If all it causes is you to cry, and not of great hurt, I feel its okay.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

jay_are wrote:The tears are different. All of them.
The ending of the first brings the sadness tears. Lucia awakening to Hiro pecking on the crystal brings the happiness tears. While these moments are when we're the most alive, nobody is thinking that while they're sad. lol

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

I cry all the time. Mostly during films, video games, or books. Though in my defense I will try to fight them back (especially if I'm in a movie theater). XD

If we're talking Lunar wise though I was really upset when Lucia left back when I first played the game in 2000. However the epilogue made me so happy that it made up for it - like I don't bawl over it but instead I get really giddy and can't stop smiling for quite awhile afterwards (even thinking about it just makes me happy).

In films I notice I normally cry (or fight back tears during the scene) when someone dies or has to make a sacrificial decision as well as unrequited love stories (though that's normally because I relate so well to them). But yeah...

Why we do it though, I have no idea.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

“I will not say “Do not weep”, for not all tears are an evil.” -Gandalf

I think jay_are said it best. Getting the emotions going while enjoying a book or whatever can be a good experience.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Well, I enjoy the feeling of a movie, book, or game, really moving me. Even if they're sometimes emotions that are avoided in normal life (fear, sadness, etc.) there is something incredible about when a really well-done medium gets to you like that. (I'm definitely going through that with Life Is Strange now, and most of my other favorite games have had more than a few moments that really got to me.) KF
~Kizyr (they|them)