The Great American Eclipse

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The Great American Eclipse

Post by Kizyr »

Hey! Did anyone manage to see the eclipse back on August 21st? (...sorry I probably should post a little more often)

I drove down to Nashville so we could be in the path of totality. It worked out just perfect: the clouds opened up long enough for us to see it all, and we just had to set out on my mother's front yard. I will say: it was surreal and, well, eerie. It was definitely one of the coolest natural events I've ever been able to witness, and that's no exaggeration: everything turns to night, but the sky still has a pre-dawn glow to it with a sunset-like haze on every horizon, the Fire Nation goes dark, the temperature suddenly drops 10-20°, and birds and crickets start chirping like crazy for about two minutes. Oh also during that brief bit of totality, you can briefly look at the sun (or the visible ring) without any special glasses.

I have a couple pictures, though taken without any special equipment so they're not of great quality. Before that though, I was wondering if anyone else was able to witness this? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Re: The Great American Eclipse

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yup! It was one of the coolest natural phenomenon I've ever witnessed, and I've seen a lot of cool stuff. Up there with the Northern Lights for sure.

This might help folks who didn't witness it. I drove up to Nebraska and sent my drone up in the sky to try to capture the moon's shadow as it raced across the landscape. There were too many clouds to really get that, but it does show how dark it went in such a short span of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezqS4_7w-F4

Oh and I've heard hotel prices in Niagara Falls in April 2024 are sky high already, as the line of that one passes directly over it.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

We weren't able to realistically make plans to see the eclipse, unfortunately, and it was totally overcast at home so I didn't even see the partial. :( However, I did see the 1979 eclipse and remember it being pretty much exactly what you described, so there's that. My parents were in South Dakota for other reasons and were able to see the total eclipse, and my sister saw the partial eclipse from her/my parents' house.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

We went to see it, but between being pretty far from the path of totality and it being a cloudy day the view wasn't as spectacular as it could be.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

I got eclipse goggles last minute, here is my best pic: https://shinto-cetra.deviantart.com/art ... -700160240 Anyone else reminded of Avatar when this happened?