Prayers for Texas

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Angelalex242
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Prayers for Texas

Post by Angelalex242 »

Much like the New Orleans thread we had before, I'm starting this one in hopes Texas might weather the storm a little better.

Or in case people know people in Texas that could use a prayer or two.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Apocalypse
Lann Fisherman

Post by Apocalypse »

Agreed. I hope for the best for Texas.

The problem is, the situation looks bleak. Plus, it won't only be Texas that suffers for this. It will be the entire country. Hurricane Rita is likely going to strike practically all of the oil refineries in Texas. They will likely be destroyed under the harsh conditions. With the Texas refineries down, there will be an EXTREME lack of oil for the country. Oil prices can greatly exceed even what they are now. Furthermore, if the situation is REALLY bad, gasoline might be cut off from the public... so that it might be used for federal purposes.

It is strange how two storms are causing so much disaster across this entire country. Especially to those living in Texas, I recommend you prepare yourself.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Sigh. One of my assistants is on pins and needles because her family is trying to evacuate and can't get out from traffic congestion. It was something like 5 miles an hour. I didn't realize her hometown was that far east. :(

I also found out last weekend that my cousin's husband has had 17 relatives displaced by Katrina. They got out of NO in advance, thank goodness, but of course had to leave many things behind...two of them, a father and daughter, play in a jazz quartet with gigs around the country and she had to leave her saxophone and music. We're giving her the ancient student one I played in marching band, but it won't be what she's used to. But nothing else will be either.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I really feel bad for anyone who fled NO to relatives in Houston. There was an interesting discussion at work where we came to the conclusion that no matter how Bush reacts to the storm, he'll get harsh criticism. If he reacts quickly people may accuse him of playing favorites, but if there's a delayed response he'll catch even more criticism.

The threat of $5/gal gas doesn't sit well with anyone either. These storms are having horrible long term effects on our country, and it's pretty scary. I'm worried that after Rita, we'll have more hurricanes to worry about. But all we can do is pray and hope for the best.

What's causing them anyway? Global warming? If that's the case, will it be like this next year? God, I hope not.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

A local newspaper article claimed global warming was not at fault.

Then again, I live in a very small town.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Climate change might have to do with increasing severity of storms. Proof on that is a little shaky right now, though. It's not far-fetched, I just don't see it as being conclusive yet.

Probability-wise, we were overdue for majorly devastating hurricanes before Katrina. But there are always hurricanes during this season, and gas prices typically spike around this time. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

SSSFan
Red Dragon Priest
Location: in front of my computer, above my keyboard, at the lunarnet forum, in my house etc. etc.

Post by SSSFan »

first New Orleans, now Texas. All those poor people.. And I've seen the traffic, yeah that's going really slow.
I can't stop feeling especially sorry for all people that evacuated from New Orleans to Texas. sometimes weather is so unfair..

Reaper
Lyton Singer

Man...

Post by Reaper »

Those poor states have just not had any breaks at all when it comes to hurricanes. Atleast the rest of the country is grouping together to help them in this time of need...
The end will come to death
but death will never end

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Kizyr wrote:Climate change might have to do with increasing severity of storms. Proof on that is a little shaky right now, though. It's not far-fetched, I just don't see it as being conclusive yet.

There's also some evidence that we may be entering the high point of a several decade long natural cycle again.

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

I'm worried about those in Texas, too. I have some friends there and I'm hoping and praying they'll be okay.

I'm not sure what is causing it, but I am concerned with how much hurricane activity has increased in the last couple years.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

There has been increased hurricane activity this year. And from what I am hearing there will be much more ahead of us. It all makes me wonder what's going on though. This year there was the tsunami, the hurricanes, & unusual volcanic activity. Does anyone from california remember the tsunami warning we had a few months ago? The weather is changing this year.

SilverOcean
Lyton Singer

Post by SilverOcean »

Nothing really happened over in Houston (luckily just a sign or two was knocked over).
Last edited by SilverOcean on Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I do remember the Tsunami warning. I'm California based myself.

But anyways, it looks like prayers were at least answered in part, and it wasn't as bad for Texas as it was for NO.

It's still bad, of course, but the human cost of life is much lower, for which we can be grateful.