Greetings

New users, post your introduction to the forums here here!
Posters leaving for or returning after an extended period of time, feel free to post here as well!
Solidor
Burg Farmer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Greetings

Post by Solidor »

Greetings Lunar-net.

I'm a long-time Lunar fan, probably about a decade, now, and I've known about this website for a long time. I never bothered to register because, by the time I did, I already finished the Playstation Lunars. My first Lunar game was SSSC; loved every inch of it. I played EBC, then. Not as good... actually, nowhere as good but still good.

However, I'm registering now because I'm playing through the original Sega-CD Eternal Blue. One of my biggest gripes with EBC was the quality on the animated cutscenes which was, by itself, not very good, and, in comparison to SSSC's, utterly hideous. I'm a bit of an art buff(drawing, painting) so I think my opinion carries some weight. I looked at EB's cutscenes at YouTube and found them far, far superior which inspired me to play through the original EB to see if I can finally hold the entirety of Eternal Blue in its predecessor's esteem.
Last edited by Solidor on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Re: Greetings

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Welcome to the boards! I'm glad you decided to register and join in after visiting for so long. :3 And YAY! Someone who prefers SSSC over EBC! I feel like such a loner in liking SSSC more than EBC.
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Welcome to the forums! :D

I would give you a welcome cookie, but I'm currently fresh out thanks to a certain member here. :x

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I've definitely heard that comment before about EBC's animation being subpar. I expect Shiva Indis will have something to say about that too. I tend not to notice, but that's because for me animated scenes are largely just interruptions from the actual game. Well, that and my only exposure to animation is through games, so it's just the way it is.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Welcome! Sorry about the reg delays, by the way.

I actually like EB's story far, far more than TSS and SSSC. Something about EB was always much more epic and it just completely drew me in. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Solidor
Burg Farmer

Post by Solidor »

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Kizyr wrote:Welcome! Sorry about the reg delays, by the way.
Yeah. Um, I was actually planning on doing a forum Let's Play for my playthrough of EB but since you took a while to approve me and I got kinda impatient...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Regarding EBC's animation, you might be amused at the trenchant criticism it elicted from Akari Funato, who worked quite a bit on the series starting with the MegaCD EB game, including much of the character, bromide, and cutscene design. Scroll down to the end of this page, or search for "pg. 63": http://www.sceneryrecalled.com/trans/funatolc.htm

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Welcome! I hope you enjoy it. Kinda sad to miss the My Play though - I always like reading about others' experiences gaming.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Alunissage wrote:I expect Shiva Indis will have something to say about that too.
It seems my art snobbery precedes me! :mrgreen:

But yes, fully agree that the Lunar 2 remake is lacking aesthetically...dare I say, the artistic low point of the series? Not only are the cutscenes mostly off-model, the models themselves are kinda ugly. :| (The characters' eyes are always too far apart in the Lunar 2 remake - it's at best a little unsettling and at worst horrifying.) To say nothing of the poorly integrated CG. :cry: I dislike the remake cutscenes so much, the possibility of them showing up on PSP in the near future bothers me. If only Game Arts could redo them...
Alunissage wrote:Regarding EBC's animation, you might be amused at the trenchant criticism it elicted from Akari Funato, who worked quite a bit on the series starting with the MegaCD EB game.
Funato's right. Zophar IS a turd.
「まあいいけど。」

Drathial
Reza Thief

Post by Drathial »

Solidor wrote:Greetings Lunar-net.

I'm a long-time Lunar fan, probably about a decade, now, and I've known about this website for a long time. I never bothered to register because, by the time I did, I already finished the Playstation Lunars. My first Lunar game was SSSC; loved every inch of it. I played EBC, then. Not as good... actually, nowhere as good but still good.

However, I'm registering now because I'm playing through the original Sega-CD Eternal Blue. One of my biggest gripes with EBC was the quality on the animated cutscenes which was, by itself, not very good, and, in comparison to SSSC's, utterly hideous. I'm a bit of an art buff(drawing, painting) so I think my opinion carries some weight. I looked at EB's cutscenes at YouTube and found them far, far superior which inspired me to play through the original EB to see if I can finally hold the entirety of Eternal Blue in its predecessor's esteem.
Hello there. ^^
I'm a newbie in these forums too, so maybe we can chat sometime.
An art buff you say? Do tell. I'm a graphic designer and have been recently playing with animation and what not. Hope to see you around!

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Welcome to the forums, yo!

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Liquidpolicenaut has all the Animation Sequences up on his YouTube, I was watching them earlier.

It made me realize just HOW MUCH they cut out between EB and EBC...
And yeah, EB's animation really did look so much better.

Oh hai, by the way.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Solidor wrote:Greetings Lunar-net.

Amazing how everyone can have their own unique opinion :) Yours is interesting really.
Never thought anyone would dislike EBC's animations yet love the Sega CD ones!
Me, I love all 4 versions equally.

Just like you, my first was SSSC and loved it. Then I discovered EBC and remained skeptical the first 5 minutes, but then loved it deeply! I could never prefer any of them over the other, I think both games complement each other.
(Later I discovered SSSC borrowed some things from the Sega CD's EB!)
So yeah, to me, both are the absolute best :mrgreen:

Then discovered the Sega CD ones, same thing! So I would never even bother struggling to find which one is better :P I love all 4 games 100%.