The next Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The next Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Post by Aquaignis »

Everyone has to read the new inheritance trilogy by Christopher Peolini!!! He was only 19 when his first book, Eragon, was published. Eragon was an instant success! His second book, Eldest, the prequel, is out now and has been out for only several months. They are top ten best sellers. Each one spent a very long time on the best-seller list. The third book isn't out yet, but will be probably next year. The Eragon movie is coming out this Christmas, so keep an eye out for previews.
There are several websites out for it right now. There is http://www.shurtugal.com and http://www.alagaesia.com. There is a forum at http://www.dragonriders.co.uk/ CHECK IT OUT!
Last edited by Aquaignis on Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

That face that you showed me on that website at school was SOOOO COOOOLLLLL 8) 8)
"I'll fight when needed, revel when there's occasion, mourn when there is grief, and die if my time comes... but I won't let anyone use me against my will."
Eragon

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

I updated my sites on there. They should all work now.
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

Ok cool. Then I'll go there. I have to see that face again. That is what happens when you boil your face. Lol. :lol:
"I'll fight when needed, revel when there's occasion, mourn when there is grief, and die if my time comes... but I won't let anyone use me against my will."
Eragon

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I read them over Christmas break. I think they're pretty good. But I also think many books not in the top 10 are good too. ^_^

Elements of the story are pretty predictable, but still compelling. Paolini's got something. :)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

I decided to revive this topic because I know it's not done yet. I want to say, I have read many books, most of them good. Elements of the story may be predictable, but it is very enchanting. J.K., and C.S.Lewis,and J.R.R. have nothing on Peolini. The books, Eragon and Eldest, have become part of me. Until now, I have never been able to relate to anything. They are written beautifully, considering he is barely over his teenage years and he has no previous experience in writing. I recommend this above anything else and treasure them a thousand times more than Lunar. 8)

Eka fricai un Shur'tugal.
Se mor'ranr ono finna.

Se onr sverdar sitja hvass!

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

I know that the movie is coming out in the fall, but when is the game going to come out? Is there a game? These books would make an awesome game. I'd play it sooooo much my eyes would bleed.
Eragon

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

If you would actually GO to those websites listed above...way above..., you would know what the answer is. Anyway, yes there will be a game and the movie will be out in theaters in December. http://www.Shurtugal.com has scenes from the movie...lot's of them!

Se mor'ranr ono finna.

Se onr sitja hvass!

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

Snap yeah! :o

Skulblaka, eka celobra ono un mulabra ono un onr Shur'tugal ne haina. Atra nosu waise fricai. :wink:
Eragon

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

Kvetha fricai.

I have read Eragon so nany times, I knew what that said as soon as I saw it. It is not in Eldest, so I will interperate it to the best to my ability: Dragon, I honor you and your rider. I mean you no harm. Let us be friends. :D
8)

Se mor'ranr ono finna.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I still prefer Quenya. There's a sort of elegance to it, in the syllables.

Do you have any information on this syntax though? Is it similar to English, or something else?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

Dragonlord911 might. Information on the ancient language is in the back of Eragon (which I don't have handy at the moment) after the pronounciations. It doesn't say in Eldest.

Se mor'ranr ono finna.

translation:

May you find peace.

May your swords stay sharp.

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

No. The vocabulary, grammar, and syntax of Tolkien's invented languages, even of Quenya and Sindarin, are far too incomplete to allow its casual, conversational, or quotidian use. As Tolkien himself stated, "It should be obvious that if it is possible to compose fragments of verse in Quenya and Sindarin, those languages (and their relations one to another) must have reached a fairly high degree of organization."
Eragon

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

NextGen, the dark blue text makes your posts troublesome to read, and as a result I'm not bothering reading them. If you want people to read your posts, use a text color that makes that possible...white works well.

Dragonlord, the sentence you quoted may be supporting something, but it doesn't really seem to be related to the rest of your post.

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

Oh, okay.
Thx.

(p.s. NextGen, try cyan. Its lighter but still blue.)
Eragon

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Dragonlord911 wrote:No. The vocabulary, grammar, and syntax of Tolkien's invented languages, even of Quenya and Sindarin, are far too incomplete to allow its casual, conversational, or quotidian use. As Tolkien himself stated, "It should be obvious that if it is possible to compose fragments of verse in Quenya and Sindarin, those languages (and their relations one to another) must have reached a fairly high degree of organization."

Okay, your quote says that the languages he uses implicitly have a high degree of organization. From these, a syntax can be extrapolated, and it can be used. True, it would require an expansion in both syntax and vocabulary pertaining to particular referrents and situations to use it as fully as a real language, but your quote implies that it's more complete than you're willing to allow. Like Alunissage said, but more powerfully, your quote is supporting something other than what you say.

And I was asking about Eragon's ancient tongue. ^^;;;
Sonic#

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

I sent Dl911 a pm asking him to say where Peolini recieved inspiration for the ancient language. I don't know where he got his actual response. It says in the back of Eragon.

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

Here is a picture of the Eragon cast in FULL COSTUME!! :D
The picture is a few months old, but it doesn't matter.

http://shurtugal.com/imageviewer.php?vi ... 21/004.jpg

There was some controversy over the appearence of some of the characters. Christopher Peolini has had no control over the making of the movie.

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

Eragon MOVIE TRAILER!! This too is a little old.

http://www.eragonmovie.com/

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

INFORMATION ON THE ERAGON GAME! :D

In a press release made on April 18th, Vivendi Universal Games (VU Games) announced its plans for the upcoming Eragon game, set to release in November on all consoles and PC. The game, however, will not be releasing for Macs (sorry Mac fans!). VU had this to say:

About Eragon for Console and PC
Based on the worldwide literary phenomenon and Fox 2006 tentpole film starring Academy Award winner Jeremy Irons and Academy Award nominee John Malkovich, Eragon immerses the player in a magical world of dragons, destiny and adventure. Gamers will engage in intense battles with an unparalleled combo and magic-based combat system, including stunning finishing moves, multiple grapples and degradable blocks with unique counter attacks. The adventure is heightened with breathless dragon flight-based combat and devastating dragon summon attacks. Fantasy fans can also share the adventure with 2 player co-op featuring team attack bonuses and dragon fight/flight combo gameplay.

I hope it doesn't turn out like the Spiderman games: fun at first, but annoyingly repetitive gameplay and poor voiceovers.

Se onr sverdar hvass!