Narnia!

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
lnrSaxon
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Narnia!

Post by lnrSaxon »

Narnia was the flippin most awesome movie EVER! I enjoyed it a lot, but then again, I AM speaking from the position of one who didn't read the books. I was pretty much just trying to find the Gospel parallels in the movie, and I'm thankful there were verses quoted and that the overall movie did show a lot of accuracy.

I did <a href="http://www.xanga.com/lilSOULdierofvirtue/403811206/item.html">blog</a> on it if anyone feels like reading it. I took a lot from the movie. The effects were great, and the images were just beautiful. I'm not ashamed to admit I shed a number of tears during the movie.

Hope you all enjoy it!

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm going to see it this week. I REALLY want to see it. I've never read any of the Narnia stuff, but I have read some of his non-fiction, such as Mere Christianity. I know Eric (Pisces) has read a number of his books. I did pick up a compilation book of all the Narnia novels in one the other day, but it'll probably be Jan. before I get to it, as I'm reading another series now.

That's now 3-1 in favor of it being a great movie. The only one that didn't like it was DragonmasterDan.
-G1

lnrSaxon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lnrSaxon »

I hope you enjoy it! My math teacher kinda refuses to see it because the film's maker is a non-Christian. but even considering that, it was really good.

I want to read Mere Christianity. And I think I'm going to try to at least read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. I guess it's time for Miki to update her library card! =P

Have fun when you go see it! =D

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

That's too bad your teacher doesn't want to see it. I haven't seen the movie yet either, but what I like about Narnia (the books) is that it appeals to all children whether they are Christian or not. You don't have to be Christian to enjoy it, and if you are, so much the better. They made sure not to excise the biblical references in the movie, and the material was treated with the greatest respect (the Lewis estate had veto power over everything), so I don't think it should matter what the beliefs of the director are. (By maker I'm assuming you mean the director?)
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

snaztacular
Lostest Boy

Post by snaztacular »

Narnia Narnia Narnia. Technically a good movie, but personal preferences kept me from enjoying it. Film is at such an awkward point right now, IMO. Filmmakers really need to learn how to use some sylistic discretion when choosing to go with CG or traditional effects. Seeing rubbery, shiny CG beasts next to live actors just plain kills a movie for me. Kills it dead.

That doesn't mean that it can't be done right, however. Lord of the Rings did an excellent job for the most part (barring the weird beasts from Two Towers. yuck.) and the CG was convincing enough usually to not get on my nerves. Jurassic Park had very convincing and life-like CG, and it was made in the early days of visual computer graphics in film. That movie also incorporated puppetry and animatronics, which have come a long way in their own right, and it's sad to see those techniques overlooked all the time.

I think a good criterion for filmmakers is to question whether a film would be feasible without a massive dose of computer animation. If not, why are they considering live action? American cinema needs to recognize the animated features as a legitimate vessel for dramatic excellence.

Back on topic, Narnia could have really benefited from such scrutiny. As it is, the movie seems like the filmmakers called up Hollywood, ordered a box called "Fantasy Epic", and brutally stuffed it with Lewis' classic tale.

Sorry to rant on the movie like that, but I had a bunch of pent-up aggression about all that crap. I'm also interested to know, does anyone have arguments for the film being live-action versus animated?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I last read LWW over a decade ago. But I thoroughly enjoyed this (the older BBC version was also good--live action, not the cartoon). I'd definitely recommend it to everyone.

InrSaxon wrote:I hope you enjoy it! My math teacher kinda refuses to see it because the film's maker is a non-Christian. but even considering that, it was really good.

Quite honestly, that's a very stupid reason for not seeing it.
The director of Malcolm X wasn't Muslim, but that was still great.

InrSaxon wrote:I did blog on it if anyone feels like reading it. I took a lot from the movie. The effects were great, and the images were just beautiful. I'm not ashamed to admit I shed a number of tears during the movie.

What a coincidence. I made a post on mine about it, too. Link's in my signature. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

snaztacular wrote:Narnia Narnia Narnia. Technically a good movie, but personal preferences kept me from enjoying it. Film is at such an awkward point right now, IMO. Filmmakers really need to learn how to use some sylistic discretion when choosing to go with CG or traditional effects. Seeing rubbery, shiny CG beasts next to live actors just plain kills a movie for me. Kills it dead.

I didn't really have any qualms with the CG. Where were they rubbery and shiny? I mean, in twenty years the badgers will probably look outdated relative to what comes out then, but my eyes were very pleased by the whole CG affair, to the point where I wasn't constantly wondering, "Is that polar bear CG? Is Aslan CG?"

As for the rest of the movie, I liked it a whole bunch. While it's never going to be as I imagined it in the book (which is okay; variations on a theme :D), I think they did a particularly spectacular job with Lucy in particular. Mr. Tuminus (sp?) was also well done, and the professor had a certain charm that... well, he knew what was going on.

The White Witch... I thought she was very well done, but at the same time, I had imagined someone... more despairingly beautiful, like a crueller looking Athena. She did have a frosty sort of beauty though, so... it worked.

What a coincidence. I made a post on mine about it, too. Link's in my signature. KF

Hehe, Kizyria. Mostly a good idea, until some other group of kids finds another way in. Which happens... I dunno, in nearly every book in the series. XD I guess your secret police could secretly deal with them.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I went to see it Sunday evening and I didn't care for it. Maybe it's because I didn't read the books, but that really shouldn't matter. I thought the CG was nice, I think the battle was excellent and probably the best part of the movie if I had to choose one. I really felt like the beginning was too slow at least compared to the rest of the movie which seemed to go too fast... probably to make up for the first hour of the movie.

The acting was okay. I think that Lucy was probably the best of all the siblings or at the very least most consistent. The older sister seemed a bit bi-polar for lack of a better word. One minute she's happy the next she's nagging, mad, and sad. I just found her to be really annoying and if that's how she was suppose to be then she did a good job. I really feel that the two younger siblings were the most likeable. I thought the Queen was a pretty good villian and riding into battle with the mane was pretty cool.

Overall, the movie wasn't bad, but I felt like I was missing something throughout the movie... I really couldn't connect with the characters they just seemed like they lacked in depth. Again, this could be because I haven't read the books, but that shouldn't matter. I don't think a book should be made into a movie if you have to read the book to know what's going on and/or for the movie to be fullfilling. To give it some slack it could be that I hyped it up too much in my mind. I was really looking forward to seeing it especially after my disappointment with Harry Potter 4.

A few random comments, did anyone notice that the voice of the main wolf was the narrator from Animal Precinct on Animal Planet?

Also...
[spoiler]did anyone else laugh out loud when the Queen's little right hand man got arrowed at the end? I couldn't contain myself, his little death cry sounded so funny! xD [/spoiler]

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

I saw it opening night with the other Eric. We both really loved it. Tilda Swinton wasn't exactly what I imagined as the White Witch, but I ended up really liking her.

The lady in the BBC version kind of annoyed me because she was so one-tone. Like when she was sweet to Edmund in the first scene, it seemed totally and obviously false sweetness.

What I loved about Tilda Swinton was that she genuinely seemed sweet in that first scene - showing the power of the Witch's deception. And when she boomed out those lines in the scene later at her castle, she was genuinely frightening.

And I loved James McAvoy as Tumnus. The guy in the BBC version creeped me out, but James made me genuinely like the character.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Sonic# wrote:Hehe, Kizyria. Mostly a good idea, until some other group of kids finds another way in. Which happens... I dunno, in nearly every book in the series. XD I guess your secret police could secretly deal with them.

Oh yes. Now, I'll grant this... that Witch knew what she was doing trying to use Edmund as bait to lure the others in. She was all good on keeping up with the prophecy. In fact, her failure to capture the other three wasn't even due to any fault of hers; those kids were just too damned fast.

So, I'll likewise have to keep abreast of all prophecies regarding outsiders. I think the other safeguards I have in place--all cute and fuzzy things being loyal to me, and the secret police really being secret, e.g.--will work to avoid that Witch's fate. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

You have to really be able to separate the book from the movie to enjoy a movie like Narnia, hell, you had to do it with LotR if you knew anything about the books.

I liked Narnia, not my favorite movie thus far, but I thought it was well done.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

I saw it today, and it gave me the amount of enjoyment I expected.

I've read most of the books, seen the old animated version several times, and seen all 4 of the BBC versions (LLW, Caspian, Dawn Tredor, Silver Chair), so going in to it I was not surprised by anything story wise. The only one I have never gotten around to reading or seeign was The Last Battle....the one I am most interested in :P

I was impresed enough by the visuals and the music, though, which is the main reason I went to see it. Although, the only drawback I found was the battle coriography, especially when Peter and the White Witch dueled. It just did not have that realistic feel to it that other fantasy movies have pulled off when it comes to battle.

Now that this has been released, I am thinking towards the next movies. Considering how well this has been received, I'm sure they are already drafting screen plays for Caspian. My only worry is can they really drum up enough enthusiasm for the remaining stories/movies? LLW is the most well known and visual of the series, so it had a good impact on the public.

Getting people psycked for Prince Caspian may be difficult...but then again Hollywood is a monstrous hype machine now and will probably pull it off :P
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

PrettyGirlJean wrote:I went to see it Sunday evening and I didn't care for it. Maybe it's because I didn't read the books, but that really shouldn't matter. I thought the CG was nice, I think the battle was excellent

Yeah, I thought it was okay but not great -- and I did read all the books, although that was probably a decade ago. The CG was definately very nice, though.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I never read the books, but I recall seeing pieces of the 80s version. I vaguely remember any of what took place in that version. I was excited about seeing the movie when I first saw previews. However, I didn't get any excitement from the movie whatsoever. I know the books aren't exactly deep and fleshed out and I think the movie was lacking because of it. The idea that these kids show up and there is an army ready for them just feels weak. Extreme lack of character development between the children and the world of Narnia. Santa Clause or whomever the hell he was just shows up and gives them each a special item/weapon. Then with little effort the oldest brother becomes a sword master, the older sister only uses her bow once to attack that stupid dwarf aside from minimal target practice, etc. I don't know, the movie was just boring for me and that is what caught me off guard. Some of the creatures were decent looking and I loved the fire arrow turning into a phoenix. That was the best part of the movie for me and that is just sad.

I know many of you will greatly disagree with me, but don't fault my feelings when this movie just didn't touch me or offer me nostalgia. Yes, Aslan was fantastic looking, but some of the cg was horrible. If they continue the series on film I will still see the movies. I think I've been spoiled by LoTR and the Harry Potter films. They just had more depth.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Silver Phoenix wrote: Aslan was fantastic looking, but some of the cg was horrible.

I think they could have made Aslan a little bigger, instead of being a normal sized lion. In most of the other versions, he was always a little larger, and therefore, more impressive.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I never read the books, but I recall seeing pieces of the 80s version. I vaguely remember any of what took place in that version. I was excited about seeing the movie when I first saw previews. However, I didn't get any excitement from the movie whatsoever. I know the books aren't exactly deep and fleshed out and I think the movie was lacking because of it. The idea that these kids show up and there is an army ready for them just feels weak. Extreme lack of character development between the children and the world of Narnia. Santa Clause or whomever the hell he was just shows up and gives them each a special item/weapon. Then with little effort the oldest brother becomes a sword master, the older sister only uses her bow once to attack that stupid dwarf aside from minimal target practice, etc. I don't know, the movie was just boring for me and that is what caught me off guard. Some of the creatures were decent looking and I loved the fire arrow turning into a phoenix. That was the best part of the movie for me and that is just sad.

I know many of you will greatly disagree with me, but don't fault my feelings when this movie just didn't touch me or offer me nostalgia. Yes, Aslan was fantastic looking, but some of the cg was horrible. If they continue the series on film I will still see the movies. I think I've been spoiled by LoTR and the Harry Potter films. They just had more depth.

I won't fault you for not enjoying it. It's interesting that some of the scenes you specifically revile are the very scenes that I like.

The Santa scene for example... that happens because Santa's coming is a show of the progression of the winter, rather than the stagnant Long Winter that the White Witch had imposed. A giving and charitable spirit, he would've naturally given the kids things that would help them, things they would like and appreciate, what we should do when buying Christmas gifts for others. Made perfect sense for me. ^^;;;

The idea that they suddenly became adept at what they do... tough to convey in a movie, unless you want them to do the 15 minute (movie time) kickarse training that Batman went through in Batman Begins. They could've potentially used the same set, even! ;) But yes, it's a potential weakness if you're looking for that. Not something I was bothered by, because I didn't see the things they were doing requiring more than simple technical knowledge that it did show them learning, though I'd have to see the swordfight between Peter and the Witch to know for sure.

I don't see where you get a lack of character development. I mean, I guess there aren't radical changes, but while the children are in Narnia, they grow up in a way. Peter finds courage and bravery in facing the wolf, and learns to trust the others (especially Lucy). Susan learns to get past the conventions of safety in her own world to make a difference. Edward learns to not be a brat and get seduced by false promises, to use his talents for the right reasons. Lucy learns to be more forthright in general. Other stuff too, but those are generalizations.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I understand the gift giving or even the symbolism of hope in the winter, but there was no mention of him at all when he just shows up. Yes, there was character development but the character interaction with other aspects of Narnia was lacking. Edmond and the White Witch was good, Peter became more nurturing and Lucy was obviously the best written. The other sister was just there with not much development at all.

I think the kids showing up at the battalion was very uninspiring. Hi, we never met before but you'll die for me because we're prophesized. The attachments weren't strong at all with those willing to fight for them, and even the relationship with Aslan was lacking. It was written to seem more meaningful from Aslan's perspective but from the children's side it just wasn't as impactful.

I guess the movie felt like it was made in the 80's but had better effects in certain aspects. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Silver Phoenix wrote:The other sister was just there with not much development at all.

Susan's attitude in LLW is forshadowing of her progression through out the series as a character. I won't say much more than that, since for several it would be a spoiler.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Aslan has a certain religious imagery, if you noticed.

Especially the shearing of his mane was meant to recall the Crucifixion, I think.

The 10th Station:Jesus is stripped of his garments.
The 12th Station:Jesus dies on the cross:
The 13th Station:The body is given to his Mother.
The '15th' Station:He rises from the dead.

No flame wars, please.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Angelalex242 wrote:Aslan has a certain religious imagery, if you noticed.

Especially the shearing of his mane was meant to recall the Crucifixion, I think.

The 10th Station:Jesus is stripped of his garments.
The 12th Station:Jesus dies on the cross:
The 13th Station:The body is given to his Mother.
The '15th' Station:He rises from the dead.

No flame wars, please.

Most people are aware of it.

For me, up until recently having it pointed out to me by a friend, I'd never seen the religous connections, so in the end it really doesn't change how I really see the movie.

Now I may be mistaken, but LLW is the only one with religious conotations, right? I've been racking my brains for a few days now, and I can't think of anything super blatent in the remaining stories.

Feel free to point it out to me, because I'd prefer to have a full scope of the series intricies rather than remain in the dark.