King Kong and Memoires of a Geisha

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.

The King or Geisha?

I want to see King Kong more
25%
I want to see Memoires of a Geisha more
25%
I want to see both
25%
I've already seen King Kong and it was awesome!
13%
Seen the King and was not impressed...
13%

Total votes: 8

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

King Kong and Memoires of a Geisha

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I'm really looking forward to both movies. They both look awesome and I'm really in need of seeing a movie that really moves me and both look to have that potential!

Geisha comes out this month although I'm not sure what date. King Kong is out now - who's seen it already? :D I was hoping to this weekend, but it looks like there will be a really nasty snow storm moving in so I may not get the chance :\

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Actually, I want to see Narnia first, then King Kong. I'm not sure about Geisha. I haven't read enough about it yet.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'll likely see Geisha sometime soon. I love Zhang Ziyi, and one of my friends is a huge fan of Michelle Yeoh. Unfortunately, she really doesn't like Zhang Ziyi, so maybe it'll balance out. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I randomly picked up Geisha, A Life by Mineko Iwasaki. This isn't why I got it, but as it happens one reason she decided to write it is because she felt very misrepresented in Arthur Golden's Memoirs of a Geisha. I think that was the first I had heard of Golden's book, and I admit to being prejudiced against it because of the other, although reviewers seem to have read a lot more (negatively) into Iwasaki's book than I did. All that said, I think it's unlikely that I would see the movie anyway; I'm not much for fictionalizing.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Kong will be awesome~! I'm going to see it on Saturday hopefully. I'm a fan of crouching tiger, house of flying daggers, hero etc. So I'm sure I'll appreciate Memoires.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I enjoyed King Kong. It was longer that I'd prefer, but visually excellent both in special effects and good ol' fashioned composition, and full of emotional content. (And for better or worse it proves that the Rings Trilogy did little or nothing to dull Peter Jackson's talent for grossing people out.)

I'll go see Memoirs of a Geisha if someone asks me to, but not otherwise. I dread seeing it because I can't get over how Chinese Zhang Ziyi looks - for me, it's too conspicuous for a film about geisha. Many East Asian movies have international casts, it's true, but I have an unpleasant feeling that Chinese actors (actresses, mostly) were cast in this movie because there've been several Chinese period films that enjoyed success in America recently.
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Thought of Kizyr when reading ToastyFrog's comments on Memoirs:

Speaking of fanboys, I saw Memoirs of a Geisha this weekend. It was pretty good, but mainly I was struck by the fact that none of the geishas were actually Japanese (Gong Li, Ziyi Zhang, Michelle Yeoh... nope). And, more to the point, it's the first major Hollywood production filmed entirely in "fanboy Japanese" -- aside from the opening sequence, the entire movie is in English. Except that every once in a while, the characters will suddenly and inconsistently toss a bit of Japanese in. "Yes" and "hai" are used interchangeably, to say nothing of honorifics -- is she "oneesan" or "big sister"? "Okasan" or "mother"? It's like the most beautifully-filmed fanfiction ever.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:It's like the most beautifully-filmed fanfiction ever.

@#*(%! Now I'm gonna keep snickering throughout the movie. 'Cause every time they say some randomly-inserted Japanese, I'm gonna recall that comment. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

I actually saw King Kong this weekend.

As a film, it's actually VERY well done. Peter Jackson has actually created a very exciting and wonderful movie.

One of the best points of the movie is actually the interaction between Naomi Watts and Kong. It's a lot different than the original version. What happens (other than the fact that it's a 25 foot gorilla) is actually very believable, and Kong really does SEEM like a gorilla - I'm not just talking visuals, I mean there's an innocence and intelligence that I can't quite explain, but if you've ever watched a real gorilla before, it's just like that.

Naomi Watts is nothing short of incredible in the movie. Her character is very developed and very believable, and her relationship with Kong carries a really beautiful innocence to it - very unlike the 70s remake where it was sexual, which just made it seem weird.

Naomi gives one of the best performances of the year too, especially considering one thing - she's ACTING AGAINST NOTHING - there is not a real actor there for her to interact with. True, they based Kong's movements off Andy Serkis, but that was done separately.

Anyway, I definitely recommend it. If for nothing else than the uber-scary natives on the island (I swear, they're scarier than Orcs).

Jackson directed it beautifully, too. Anyone who appreciates pace, character development, wonderful shots and beautiful imagery will see what I mean.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess