Has anyone noticed...

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Has anyone noticed...

Post by Aaron »

Has anyone noticed how there has been a recent flush of fantasy movies? It seems to me a few years ago a pirate movie would be laughed at let alone a movie about comic book heroes...

we got in the course of 6 years

3 x men movies
2 spiderman movies with 1 on the way
2 pirate movies with 1 on the way
a hypothetical collision between two different stories...also known as Alien Vs. Preditor
The Fantastic Four
Electra
Dare Devil
2 new starwars movies
Superman
Batman

I mean...wow
thats a lot and I'm sure I'm missing some
but the thing is...since 9/11 are people more prone to try to escape realty?? It's just something that ran across my mind...

also we have

brand new

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie comming
and a Transformers movies

I mean...does anyone else think this is strange?

But...also to add a more sinister look at transformers...check this out...

Look at that...see anything weird?

No?

I do!

There is a THIRD eye on his forehead...

now check this out

again another 3rd eye

why religious subtones in a cartoon?

Also...there are two lines on either side of the heads of both decepticon and autobot insignia's. I have no idea what those are.

there is definately MORE than meets the eye here...

so

give me your thoughts and please discuss!

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I fail to see how a third eye would make a movie more religious. Besides, there where plenty of movies before, you just never knew them because of possible age differences. Remember, some comic books where made into movies already. Heck, there was a superman tv series (not cartoon) and two superman movies, way before Superman Returns. Also, there where plenty of pirate movies, they just didn't include the supernatural forces.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

those superman movies were like...from the eighties...and..70's... in the 90's all I can think of is George Cloony as Batman...eew...and that one about that weird dude with the purple suit...

and third eyes are...used in eastern religions to denote enlightenment and...something like that I" mnot sure but...i know its religious in nature. nature not Nature. lol if anyone is confused...

but third eyes are suppost to be different like...the Eye of a god or something or the devil...

oh I left terminator 3 off that list ;)

edit:

maybe its not escapism...but people are crying out for a savior...?

Faust
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Faust »

Faust will be looking forward to the new TMNT and Transformer movies...

Thanks for telling Faust didn't know... ^_^

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Hmm... let's pick a time, say... the 1990's.

Batman
Galaxy Quest
Matrix
The other new Star Wars movie
A few Star Trek releases
Godzilla
Ever After
Tank Girl
X-Files movie
The Fifth Element
Men in Black
Starship Troopers
Dragonheart
ID4

Okay, I'm going to stop. Many of these perhaps have a more grounded edge to them than the spatter of mostly superhero movies that you listed. They were less singularly hero oriented, and sometimes comedies.

I think that what you have to say has some merit. There is an upswing in those movies. It's a twist on saving the world (or at least, on the cynicism surrounding trying to do that). But I don't think it's because of 9/11 much more than it's because of anything else. The first X-men movie, the one that I've heard started this recent drive, came before 9/11.

Then there's the special effects, finally able to encompass all of the richness we want to see. Many of the movies you mentioned are part of franchises going way back, but their revival is the remarkable part.

So no, I don't think it's that strange.

I can't explain the third eye, but is it an eye at all? I just thought it was the upper part.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Mog Dragonheart
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Mog Dragonheart »

Not really, I think it mostly has to do with special effects and what can be done now. It's just a snowball effect of whatever Superhero movie came out first and it's success.

"What movie should we make next? Well Punisher's crazy, he's cool, he's a bad ass and he kills a lot of people. Let's make one about him!".

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

AH yes Punisher...that came out already ;)

in like 2005

sooooooooooooooooooo.....add more to the list lol

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

I think part of the appeal of movies in general is a certain sense of escapism. I also don't think that it has anything to do with 9/11. Look at the movies before hand, things like 2001: A Space Odyssey, the original Star Wars movies, etc. Dating as far back as the original King Kong, I think that people have always liked a sense of the surreal over that of the mundane.

I can't believe that you skipped over Lord of the Rings btw.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Aaron wrote:AH yes Punisher...that came out already ;)

in like 2005

The Punisher was truly awesome. John Travolta makes a great bad guy.

irvine
Saith Pirate

Post by irvine »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
Aaron wrote:AH yes Punisher...that came out already ;)

in like 2005

The Punisher was truly awesome. John Travolta makes a great bad guy.

Youre right about that!