Idiocracy

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Idiocracy

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

OK, so after speaking with one of my co-workers about this movie I went and did a blind buy, putting total faith in the synopsis my friend offered. And this is the first time in a long time that I was not in the least disappointed in my blind buy.

This is Mike Judge's most recent directorial outing, and that guy gets funnier every year that goes by.

The story goes something like this: The military is engaged in something called the "Human Hibernation Experiment" seeking to put all the best and brightest soldiers into hibernation for future wars, but they need to test it on someone first. So they get the most average man in the military (Joe Bauers played by Luke Wilson) and a local prostitute by the name of Rita and plan to freeze them for one year to test the effects of the experiment. However things go awry when the project loses funding and the base is knocked over and put in its place is a Fuddruckers.

Meanwhile things look bad for mankind, as man, with no natural predators; breeding no longer favored the best and brightest in natural selection. Instead breeding favored those that bred most, and seeing that those of lower intelligence continuously breed with no real plan for the future and no real reservation they out-breed the intelligent. Thus making smart people an endangered species.

Following a large garbage avalanche Joe wakes up in the year 2505 to find mankind dumb......very dumb with the average IQ dropping 60 points. Joe finds the future to be very different, with such small changes as there is now both a Violence Channel which runs shows like "Ow, My Balls" and the Masturbation Network. As well as large changes, water now has been totally replaced by a sports drink called "Brawndo: The Thirst Mutilator". They even water their crops with it, because like the slogan says "It's Got What Plants Crave, It's Got Electrolytes".

This movie was great; I definitely recommend at least a rental/Netflix of it. It's funny on so many levels from the humorous context in which the future is set, dystopian, yet funny. To the stupidly effective slogans that businesses use. "If you don't smoke Tarryltons, **** YOU!" or "Thank you for eating at Carl's Jr. **** You, I'm Eating."

It's definitely not Office Space, but a great movie nonetheless.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

lol, sounds like a wonderfully hiliarious movie. I'll keep an eye out for it and may rent it if I see it.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."