Amazing Grace

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
JWL
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Amazing Grace

Post by JWL »

Anybody else see this movie? Anybody else even hear of this movie?

"Amazing Grace" tells the story of William Wilberforce, the courageous English MP who led the fight against the slave trade back in the late 18th century. Abraham Lincoln once said that all Americans knew the name William Wilberforce, but now, sadly, hardly any Americans remember him.

If you like history and biography films, I highly recommend it.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Sounds kind of interesting. I'll have to check it out. Is it a recent movie or an older one?
-G1

JWL
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JWL »

G1, it just came out on Friday. It should be playing at theaters all over the country now. You might have to go a bit out of way to find it, though, since it isn't playing at every theater.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Just checked the local theatre. They're playing it 4 times a day at 2 of the 3 locations near here. I'll see if my bro will go with me. I like these kinds of movies.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I might try and see it myself... It does look very good.

Amistad is one of my favorite movies, also, and this seems to be along a similar vein. I'm sure I'd enjoy it likewise. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, I was thinking it sounded a lot like Amistad, which was a great movie. If it's anything like that, and it sounds a lot like it, it'll definitely be worth checking out.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

There's an interesting article on it at Islamicity:
http://www.iviews.com/Articles/articles ... V0702-3241

It gives a bit of a review of the film, but focuses more on its historical and current political significance. One good bit:
Without him [William Wilberforce], there would have been no end to the slave trade, certainly not in his time. And without his life-changing conversion to Christianity, Wilberforce might have lived a forgettable life as a rich man's son. Instead, he helped give birth to new freedom in the British Empire, hope in America, and inspiration to abolitionists everywhere. Today, with slavery spreading in Africa and Asia, and, according to Amnesty International, an estimated 27 million in slavery worldwide, Amazing Grace is more than a period piece: it is a timely and enduring lesson on what one man can do to stop the spread of evil.
KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Re: Amazing Grace

Post by GhaleonOne »

So yeah, while this topic is a year old, I finally watched this movie late last year, and again for the second time tonight. Just wanted to say, it's probably in my top 5 of all time. It really is an amazing movie worth seeing.
-G1